Subject: 2/3 players action card balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoann L.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I love Inis but in my 2 and 3 players games I have a little complaint about the balance of the pool of 13 action cards : I'm often frustated by the fact that there is only 2 movement cards. Whereas in a 4 players game you add 2 movement cards on 4 cards.

I have thought about 2 solutions :
- Switch one of the two 4 players movement cards with one of the 13 cards
- Play with all 17 cards every time, so 5 cards per player in a 3 players games and 8 cards per player in a 2 players game

So is it only me having this feeling ? And which solution is best in your opinion ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Heropon wrote:
Hi,

I love Inis but in my 2 and 3 players I have a little complaint about the balance of the pool of 13 action cards : I'm often frustated by the fact that there is only 2 movement cards. Whereas in a 4 players game you add 2 movement cards on 4 cards.

- Play with all 17 cards every time, so 5 cards per player in a 3 players games and 8 cards per player in a 2 players game

So is it only me having this feeling ? And which solution is best in your opinion ?

I respectfully disagree, after playing both 2 & 3 player games I feel the balance is perfect. With 4 players, clans need more space/movement options to complete victory conditions. And the ratio of move cards usually fall within 1 per player (which would most likely happen in 2 & 3 player games. Another possibility for movement is choosing the card that allows you to initiate a clash in a territory you are present, then choose to withdraw some of your clans to where you are chieftain.

It may have also been the lack of Epic Tale cards that were drawn during your game. Lots of movement opportunities. Let me know how you feel after playing it a couple more times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoann L.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freightrain12 wrote:
Heropon wrote:
Hi,

I love Inis but in my 2 and 3 players I have a little complaint about the balance of the pool of 13 action cards : I'm often frustated by the fact that there is only 2 movement cards. Whereas in a 4 players game you add 2 movement cards on 4 cards.

I respectfully disagree, after playing both 2 & 3 player games I feel the balance is perfect. With 4 players, clans need more space/movement options to complete victory conditions. And the ratio of move cards usually fall within 1 per player (which would most likely happen in 2 & 3 player games. Another possibility for movement is choosing the card that allows you to initiate a clash in a territory you are present, then choose to withdraw some of your clans to where you are chieftain.

It may have also been the lack of Epic Tale cards that were drawn during your game. Lots of movement opportunities. Let me know how you feel after playing it a couple more times!

Transfering units to where you are chieftain is movement but not conquer. The card you may add is the exploration card. In my group, the 2 movement cards and the exploration card are always auto-draw, because it's the only way to expand. If you don't have any of the 3 cards you will be forced to stay where you are and this is really frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Quote:
In my group, the 2 movement cards and the exploration card are always auto-draw, because it's the only way to expand. If you don't have any of the 3 cards you will be forced to stay where you are and this is really frustrating.

That surprises me, actually. Movement is inefficient at accumulating the power you need to get yourself into a winning position - which typically involves some combination of being the Brenn, holding the right Epic Tales, having a lot of clans, and scoring Deeds.

Compare with New Clans, for example, which give you resources that carry over from turn to turn. To take an extreme example, a player who spends every round gaining two clans in the Capital will eventually be in a position to play a single Migrate later on and essentially win the game in a single move, especially against players who spent all their time moving around instead of getting clans and Epic Tales.

A card like Sanctuary is even more compelling. On average, an Epic Tales card is worth at least as much as two clans, and you get to put a sanctuary in an advantageous spot.

In fact, clashing is inefficient enough on its own that Warlord and Bard (and Raid) need to be in the game specifically in order to encourage players to get into fights in early turns.

At the very least, I'd normally draft Druid before either of the movement cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Yeager
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Druid is potentially a third movement card as well, if you are prioritizing movement so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoann L.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my last play I changed my mind about this.
I think this feeling was due to special circumstances in my first two plays.

Still, I think movement is very strong, because you have the initiative in conflicts, however it largely depends of the board state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.