Subject: Roland and cover up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

If you're not playing a campaign can you just ignore Roland's cover up if you draw it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it still affects the standalone scenario that you are playing by making it harder for you to acquire clues.

Edit: I stand corrected it is optional to have to discard those clues. So no reason to resolve it, it would still just sit out in front of you with 3 clues on it though, you can't just put it in your discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Ah ok so I have to remove those tokens before I can discover clues from a location then? I was thinking it was optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DouglasLondon wrote:
Ah ok so I have to remove those tokens before I can discover clues from a location then? I was thinking it was optional.

That is correct.

EDIT: You do not have to resolve those clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
MerryHo wrote:
DouglasLondon wrote:

That is correct.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Actually you are correct it is an optional effect. The little spinning arrow is a reaction trigger and the rules reference (pg3 I believe) specifically states you may trigger those effects. So if you are playing a standalone, his weakness basically does nothing. If it was not optional it would have a "Forced" trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A second question about this if playing the campaign. Is drawing Cover Up during the first scenario an auto-fail? Cover Up requires 3 clues to discard. In a two player game The Study spawns 4 clues that are all needed to advance Act 1. In Act 2 the attic spawns 4 clues and the cellar spans 4 clues. 6 clues are needed to advance Act 2 leaving just 2 clues left, not enough to fulfill Cover Up since no clues spawn in Act 3, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darby Harris
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mb
PSXfile wrote:
A second question about this if playing the campaign. Is drawing Cover Up during the first scenario an auto-fail? Cover Up requires 3 clues to discard. In a two player game The Study spawns 4 clues that are all needed to advance Act 1. In Act 2 the attic spawns 4 clues and the cellar spans 4 clues. 6 clues are needed to advance Act 2 leaving just 2 clues left, not enough to fulfill Cover Up since no clues spawn in Act 3, or am I missing something?

I'm pretty sure the clues on cover up don't come off the location, they're added from the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
PSXfile wrote:

You don't remove clues from a location when covering up.

Dealing with Roland's unique weakness boils down to the Roland player doing everything as normal in order to gain regular clues from a location, right up to the point where the player would physically pick the clue up from the location card and move it/them to their personal pile. Right before that point, they may instead leave the clue(s) that they obtained on the location and instead remove that many clues from the unique weakness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah okay. That makes sense, thanks. We were removing it from both the location and Cover Up. Overthinking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph West
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clear-up any confusion (or maybe add to it), Cover Up is a real pain to deal with in almost any situation, but I think several are misinterpreting how it is played.

Basically what Cover Up says in layman terms is 'You must gain three clues for which you're not going to get any credit before you can start gaining any real clues again. The card does not affect the locations you are searching.'

It's like a wall. Once Cover Up comes out, regardless of the methods you are using to discover clues; whether it be by researching, by using Roland's ability to kill enemies, or by some other card ability, you no longer gain / discover clues from the location you are attempting to search until the Cover Up condition is satisfied.

The Cover Up does not affect the clues on the location. They simply sit there until you've removed the tokens from the Cover Up. However, the location you are investigating does have to contain clues if you want to start working on removing Cover Up tokens.

Once all three tokens are gone, then you can go back to obtaining clues like you normally would. In other words, the effort to get two clues just became five because you have to wade through the Cover Up.

To think of it in thematic terms. You're sifting through a bunch of papers. You come across what you think is a real clue, it's not, it's a Cover Up (Discard a token from Cover Up). You keep digging, another false clue (Discard a token from Cover Up). Dammit! Another false clue (Discard a token from Cover Up, it no longer contains any tokens). Research again. Finally the clue you were looking for! (Add a clue to your character card).

Cover Up is tough to deal with, but I made it through one the other night and still won the scenario, so it is far from an auto-lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
While a good summary, just to be clear: Cover Up's reaction is not required to be used (or Forced, in game terms). If the Roland player thinks it's more important, they can still gain clues as normal without paying off their Cover Up.

They'll be enjoying their Trauma next adventure, but that's the price you gotta pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
discarding a clue from the cover up is a Reaction Trigger.

Quote:
Reaction Trigger : May be used once each time the
specified timing point occurs. Does not cost an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph West
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not possible to discover additional clues as normal if Cover Up is in the threat area. The forced ability on Cover Up only comes into play if the act can be progressed through means other than clues or the investigator already has the clues available to progress the act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daivos wrote:
It's not possible to discover additional clues as normal if Cover Up is in the threat area. The forced ability on Cover Up only comes into play if the act can be progressed through means other than clues or the investigator already has the clues available to progress the act.

This is a misunderstanding. If the Roland player wishes to totally, utterly ignore Cover up and play the scenario as if the weakness were not even on the board, they may do so, and nothing about the game or any of its rules would change in the slightest.

The reaction trigger is completely optional.

The forced trigger on Cover Up only takes place at the end of the game, i.e., when the scenario is over. It has nothing to do with progressing an Act or the agenda. After the end of the scenario, the Roland player will suffer trauma if they didn't deal with the Cover Up clues. This is a decision they will have to make, but if they choose to take 3 mental trauma, a hefty penalty given that Roland only has 5 sanity to begin with, they may do so. The Cover Up weakness has no effect on gaining clues, additional clues, or anything else during the actual scenario play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Beardsley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cover Up states: "FORCED- When the game ends, if there are any clues on Cover Up: You suffer 1 mental trauma."

This means, even if you have 3 clues on cover up at the end of the game you still only suffer 1 mental trauma, not 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.