Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looking for a light/easy adventure game to play with my wife, and some other newbie gamers...thanks

(any other suggestions would be welcome as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

While I would say The Witcher is the lighter of the two, I would also say it is the worse game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard more good things about Fortune and Glory....

Which makes me sad...as I love The Witcher IP...

meeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
F&G is fun, but in desperate need of streamlining and will ultimately be on the rather random side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roberts
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the chance to play Fortune and Glory yet But the Witcher isn't too complex...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Malachi
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune & Glory all the way for me. I remember being excited about The Witcher because I loved the video games (well game I only really liked the first one). They released it for PC around the time they released teh physical board game and I was thoroughly unimpressed with it. Seemed very bland and unimaginative. There's at least lots of fun to be had with Fortune & Glory. I had no fun playing the Witcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have F&G and haven't played Witcher:

F&G is a beautiful game [massive box, expensive when I got it] but I just haven't had time to play advanced version, or play it more than a couple of times.

If you have played other flying frog games, you'll enjoy F&G.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Witcher might be on the complex and abstract side for new players.

F&G was too random and broke theme. No, I don't think you should find a cafe in the heart of Africa, unless it's that Monty Python sketch.

Talisman is fine for new gamers, particularly if they include kids.

Prophecy is better than Talisman (no roll and move), although the encounters are, overall, a little drier. Has some Euro influences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Above & Below, light euro with adventure book.

Time stories, chose your own adventure meets groundhog day, but reqires a handful of plays to finish.

Tales of arabian night, very random, but recognizable theme for non-gamers.

Mansion of madness 2ed, fantastic game, but maybe a bit heavy for that crowd?

Dead of winter, light on adventure, but recognizable theme with the walking dead craze.

Agents of smersh, haven't tried it, but heard it should be similar to arabian nights, but with more actual gameplay?

Elder signs with the omens of ice expansion, light on adventure, but recognizable yatzy mechanisms for non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like The Witcher Adventure Game, especially as compared to other adventure games (Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), Runebound, Prophecy, World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game, Ravingspire). Your best bet however is probably to try the PC implementation to see if it is something you might like - it is available through Steam, and frequently available for low price.
The biggest problem I have with the game is that CD Projekt RED has apparently stated that they don't want to make any expansions for the game, despite Ignacy Trzewiczek having already done a fair bit of work toward at least one expansion, including a variant to play the game completely cooperatively.

As far as Fortune and Glory, I'm not particularly fond of playing it competitively. It is frequently too quick and mostly determined by luck. I like the cooperative version quite a bit, but it does seem to have issues with the tipping point of the game being relatively early in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love fortune and glory. Just got the two expansions for it too. I'd only play it in co-op mode with a vile Organization but its a great random story.

I got F&G because i fell in love with A Touch of Evil. It's a great 'story' game. The Witcher is more of a race to go from place to place and collect items/clues/etc. While you are collecting artifacts in F&G, there is a story element in it totally missing from The Witcher. If your ok with Random Events (because there are a lot of them in F&G) then i think you'll have a great time with it. The two expansions just came back into print as well, and FFP is one of the few publishers that I'd say their expansions really add to the game and make it whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune and Glory if you have several hours of attention span.

You mentioned "light" as a criteria. As long as you have the stomach for a long long game, I'd say Fortune and Glory is "light."

Pete (wouldn't recommend either of these games if you don't if you don't)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
I haven't played F&G, but The Witcher Adventure Game is a very welcomed game on my table - as a two-player with my wife as well as a multi-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.