Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any suggestions for a worker placement game for the family to play? We have 2 girls that are 6 and 8 years old. Looking for a min of 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You really can't go wrong with Lords of Waterdeep. Mint Works will probably fit the bill, once it is released. Stone Age is also good, I'm just not a fan of the dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coal Baron has a cute little elevator that you use to slide different color cubes from your mines to the surface and the worker placement aspect is beginner friendly. It's worth a look.

The theme might not be the most exciting but I have played the game with my wife and son and they both enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is great. The dice rolling will actually keep the little ones competitive within the game as well...

So a little random to level the playing field is good.

My daughter loved it at 6+ years of age...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son can totally grasp Stone Age and he is six. Champions of Midgard shouldn't be too overwhelming for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
You really can't go wrong with Lords of Waterdeep. Mint Works will probably fit the bill, once it is released. Stone Age is also good, I'm just not a fan of the dice rolling.

Lords of Waterdeep? Really? I'd love to see a 6 - 8 year old "play" this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sag0016 wrote:
HaNd_SoLo wrote:

Which part(s) do you think they'd have problems with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mi Tierra should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Champions of Midgard. My sons (7 and 5) love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sag0016 wrote:
HaNd_SoLo wrote:

My 7-yo son plays LoW and does not have any trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
sag0016 wrote:
HaNd_SoLo wrote:

Which part(s) do you think they'd have problems with?

The whole thing together? I mean I guess it is technically playing if they place agents to get cubes, but hey, whatever. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you guys "play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Poor kids. Why torture them with worker placement at such a young age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:

My first thought was Mint Works as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
"Worker Placement for 6-8 year olds" Arent they too young to work in the mines? I think there is some child labor laws you might be violating somewhere....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabled Fruit has worker placement and recipe filling while supporting 2-5 players. The Fable system keeps the game fresh though you can use the starting setup over and over which is pretty straight forward. Fun family game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also My First Stone Age, but they might be a bit too old for that.
Or try Agricola: Family Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
False Maria
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I introduced my *almost* 8-year old to Agricola All Creatures Big & Small over the weekend. After 3 games where I gradually gave her less and less coaching, the fourth game I showed no mercy, and she whooped my ass.

I try and stay away from the family editions if I can help it, just because of how quickly they may grow out of them, when maybe the base game would do just fine with some coaching (and maybe slight rule tweaks). For example, we've been playing Carcassonne for years, including some expansions. We just omit the farmer portion because long-game strategy escaped her at age 5-6-7. Otherwise she played Carcassonne like a champ.

I am looking for more worker placement suggestions as well for xmas, considering the success of Agricola ACBS this weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
There's also My First Stone Age, but they might be a bit too old for that.
Or try Agricola: Family Edition.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all. Stone Age looks good, but is not available right now. I don't think they'd be into the themes of Lords of Waterdeep or Champions of Midgard.

I think I have narrowed down to Fabled Fruit and Agricola Family Edition. They are both the same price. It just kills me that the Agricola Family Addition is only $10 less than the new edition which I do not own yet. I think I may lean towards Fabled Fruit.

Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.