Subject: First Game! (Hunting the Tigress) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Groesbeck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Got the game on Sat Nov 5th and played my first game Sun the 6th.

I choose to play Hunting the Tigress because I read that favors the Heroes. I was the Overlord and my two sons were the Heroes, and I didn't want to beat up on them too easily. Turns out they destroyed me.

My older son, who is 12, played Conan and Hadrathus. My younger son, 9, played Belit and Shevatas.

The kids played it pretty smart, recognizing that conserving Belit's gems for defense was their best play. She did occasionally attack or activate guards, but rested a lot and kept her gems high.

On the first turn Shevatas opened a chest and found the crossbow. That was great find for the Heroes. Then Conan, Hadrathus, Shevatas, and Belit (via two guards) attacked pirates on their ship, killing a lot of them.

On the Overlords first turn I activated a Pirate group and the Archers. I split the archers up, two with Skuthus to protect him and two with Zaporavo to take advantage of his rerolls. I made a mistake splitting their fire. Two fired on Hadrathus, putting some wounds on him. The other two fired at Belit, but she defended and her shield makes it tough for archers to get any damage through. Probably should have either focus fired Hadrathus to cripple him or Belit's guards so they could not protect her later.

Can't remember all the details of the next few turns. I know some pirates put a hurting on Hadrathus but could not finish him off or make him totally useless. I used the event tile for reinforcements at least once. Zaporavo jumped over to the Tigress but really did not do much. The Heroes found (and used) an explosive orb and a Life potion. Conan and Shevatas kept the Tigress mostly free of Pirates.

At some point I realized that I only had a couple of turns left and Belit only had a wound or two, with no way to do enough to win as the board looked. So I had Skuthus sacrifice himself for the Dark Demon and had it fly over and attack Belit. From here to the end of the game I mostly saved gems to have the Demon activate at least once a turn, even with his tiles at the end of the River. But Belit would just sacrifice a guard to prevent the Demon from hurting her. She was running out of guards, but I ran out of time first. So the heroes won, rather convincingly.

In hindsight I think I spent too many gems protecting Pirates. Generally if I only needed to block one damage I spent a gem to defend. Perhaps I should have saved those gems to activate my high value tiles more often. Another thing I will try is concentrating on eliminating Belit's guards. So if I am able to press her later with Zaporavo or the Dark Demon she won't have them to take the blows for her. I'm not sure these things will actually lead to an Overlord win though, and tend to agree with the consensus that this scenario strongly favors the heroes. Despite this it was a fun game and I look forward to trying it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I won this one as the overlord by bringing on the demon right at the start, then charging right for Belit. I popped her head off about turn 5 - I had to waste all her guards first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesG wrote:
In hindsight I think I spent too many gems protecting Pirates. Generally if I only needed to block one damage I spent a gem to defend. Perhaps I should have saved those gems to activate my high value tiles more often.

As i've got no other players in my po-dunk village, my sessions have been left-hand-vs-right, and one of my "OL AI rules" is that the OL never spends gems to defend "minions" (that is, the units with reinforcement costs on their tiles). The vast majority of the time they simply aren't worth it. They're there to get in the way, slow the heroes down, and sometimes to cut the heroes up a bit, but gems spent defending them are generally better spent elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
As i've got no other players in my po-dunk village, my sessions have been left-hand-vs-right, and one of my "OL AI rules" is that the OL never spends gems to defend "minions" (that is, the units with reinforcement costs on their tiles). The vast majority of the time they simply aren't worth it. They're there to get in the way, slow the heroes down, and sometimes to cut the heroes up a bit, but gems spent defending them are generally better spent elsewhere.

Yeah, I think that is a good rule of thumb. Plus it annoyed my boys when I would successfully defend against their attacks, even though they were still winning the game. So going forward I'll avoid it since it does not help me win AND it makes the game "less fun" for them. So letting minions drop like flies may be a win-win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
VixenTorGames wrote:
I won this one as the overlord by bringing on the demon right at the start, then charging right for Belit. I popped her head off about turn 5 - I had to waste all her guards first.

That sounds interesting, but the players could counter by going after Zaporavo hard. That could be an fun race, to see who dies first, Belit or Zaporavo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.