5,507 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
Hey guys,

Fancy Animals main mechanic is based on Rummikub. In this game, players select 1 of 4 fancy animals (prototype shown below), and play cards in rummy-type runs to get pieces of clothing (worth end game points) to add to the sides, top & bottom of the portraits.

If you have ever played Rummikub I would love to know if these rules make sense.

If you've NEVER played Rummikub I would really love to know if these rules make sense.

One thing that the final rule book will have is PICTURES of example legal moves and I think those will be easier to understand than how I've had to write them out here. The "examples of legal plays" is quite long but I think pictures will really cut down on the text needed.

I also think it would be good to have a QR code linking to a video that runs through those play options.

Before we get to the rules...
(2) prototype animal cards:

Here is an example of the material cards:

Here are the rules:

Fancy Animals
2-4 players. Time to play: 30 - 45 min???? Add some text about animals trying to collect items so that they can be the fanciest of all the animals.

Components: (4) Fancy Animal portraits
(78) Material cards (4 suites (2 suites per card), 1 - 13, 3 copies of each card)
(48) Clothing cards
(4) Special rule cards

Set up: Everyone gets a Fancy Animal card and (10) random material cards. Separate the (4) clothing decks so that the items are in one pile, the shoes are in another and so on. Place the (4) clothing decks face up next to each other and then place the top card from each pile below the main pile—thus, you will be able to see (8) different clothing cards. [Fig. X]

Starting with the first player, you may play cards from your hand and take one item of clothing (if you have the proper number of cards to do so) OR take a new card from the deck OR activate a special rules card (see Special Rules Cards section below).

Note: you may never have more than 13 cards in your hand at one time. If you have 13 on your turn you must play a legal move even if it isn’t beneficial for you to do so at that time. You cannot simply “pass” on your turn. You are never forced to take a card from the deck—you would only want to do so if you had fewer than 13 cards in your hand and you had no immediately beneficial legal moves.

How to get a piece of clothing:
Each clothing card displays the point value (top left) and the material type and number of cards (called a “run”) needed to purchase it (bottom middle). [FIG. X] For example:
This card is worth 2 points (if put in the correct spot by your animal portrait—see the scoring section) and you get it by creating a run of at least (4) material cards in the metal suite. The run can start with any number but must be in numerical order.

To create a run you must use at least (1) card from your hand. NOTE: the card you play does not necessarily have to be the same material as the clothing type you are trying to get as long as you are able to use the cards on the table to make at least the required run in the correct material type (see “Create a run by using several runs on the table” below).

In other words: a required run can be made completely from cards from your hand or by adding at least (1) card from your hand to an existing run on the table.

Sequences run from 1 to 13. You cannot have a sequence of 13, 1, 2 unless the Loop card is in play (see Special Rules Cards section).

IMPORTANT: Runs must always have at least (3) cards. You may never arrange the cards on the table so that there are less than (3) cards together.

IMPORTANT: You may not collect a piece of clothing by simply manipulating cards on the table without playing at least (1) card from your hand.

You may not collect a piece of clothing unless you can make a run with at least the number specified, in the material type specified.

Example: A Gem item requires a sequence of 3 gems.
In your hand: 7G On the table: 4G,5G,6G
You may add the 7G and, because you have at least the required number of cards (you actually have 1 more than the required number), you may take the Gem item.

Here are several examples of legal plays:
Extend a run:
Cards in hand: 4C,10C Cards on the table: 5C,6C,7C,8C,9C
You can make a (7) run sequence by adding the 4C & the 10C in the proper order and collect, for example, the cloth chest piece which requires (7) cards.

Create a run using cards on the table:
Cards in hand: 5G,6G Cards on the table: 4G,5G,6G,7G
You can take the 7 from the table and make a (3) sequence run with your 5,6. Because taking the 7G will still leave a group of three (4G,5G,6G) you can legally perform this move.

Change a card’s suite and create a run:
Cards in hand: 2L,5L Cards on the table: 3G/L, 4G/L, 5G/M, 6G/L, 7G/C
You can take 3G/L & 4G/L and flip them to Leather and then add your cards to make 2L,3L,4L,5L

Create a run by using several runs on the table:
Let’s say you want the Cloth shirt requiring a run of 5.
Card in hand: 4M/G Cards on the table (3 separate runs):
1L/C, 2L/M, 3L/G
1M/C, 2M/L, 3M/L, 4M/L, 5M/C
2C/G, 3C/L,4C/M

You can replace the 4M/L with your 4M/G; take that 4M/L, switch the suite and put it on the end of the leather run, take the 1L/C off of that run, switch the suite, and put it at the start of the cloth run and then take the 5M/C off of its run, switch the suite, and put it on the end of the of the cloth run.
Even though you did not directly use a card from your hand in the cloth run, you still created the run by using a card from your hand.

Wild cards: Clothing cards that you own can be removed from your animal portrait and used as wilds for that material type. You no longer receive any points for that card. You may use a wild card that another player has played as a wild but you must replace it with whichever number it was representing.
For example:
In your hand: 3C, 9C, 11C On the table: 2C, Cloth Shoe card, 4C, 5C
You may replace the wild with a 3C from your hand and use it to make: 9C, Cloth Shoe, 11C

If you acquire a piece of clothing, activate a special rule card, take a new card from the deck or play at least one card from your hand, your turn ends and play passes clockwise. You do not have to take a card from the deck unless you do not play a card from your hand.

If you get a piece of clothing, place it in its proper spot as shown on the frame of your Fancy Animal portrait. If that space is occupied you may place it in another available space (or over the top of another card if the Overlap Special Rules card is in play) but there will be a scoring penalty--the Animals don't enjoy looking ridiculous.

If you get a piece of clothing, be sure to replace it with a new card from the clothing pile. There will always be (2) pieces of clothing available for each of the (4) different types of clothing.

Special rule cards:
To activate a special rules card you must play a matching set of at least (3) of the same number in different material types (Example: 3G, 3M, 3L). Once played, turn over a special rules card. That rule is now in effect for all players for the entire game.

[icon]
. You may select 1 piece of clothing from (1) pile and put it on the bottom of the clothing deck. In order to do this: You must still play at least (1) card from your hand (i.e., add your card to an existing run) and you may not take a clothing card. If, on your turn, you do not play any cards and instead take a card from the deck you may not use this rule for that turn. Note: you may use this rule right away on the turn that it was first activated by placing the matching set.
[icon]. You can loop a sequence. That is, 1 can now be placed after 13 (e.g., the sequence 12,13,1,2 would now be a legal run of 4)
[icon]. You may place clothing items on top of others and the bottom pieces will score ½ their point value each (round up). Note: If you cover a card, you cannot use it as a wild until it gets uncovered. It would get uncovered only by using the card above it as a wild card.
[icon]. Two different materials can be mixed to make a sequence. You must lay down at least (3) cards (in a sequence) from your hand and either the cards from your hand OR the cards on the table must match the material type of the clothing you receive. For example: You would like to get the metal shirt requiring a sequence of 7. On the table is: 4L, 5L, 6L, 7L. You have in your hand 1M, 2M, 3M. You may lay those (3) cards down (do not connect them to the leather cards) and receive the metal shirt. You may not lay down, for example, (3) leather cards next to (4) metal cards on the table to get the Gem shirt because neither the run you are playing from your hand, nor the run on the table, are Gem.

Game end & Scoring:
After you place a piece of clothing on the last open spot by your animal portrait each other player will take 1 more turn. After that, everyone totals up their score.

Each clothing item is worth the point value located in the upper left corner of the card.

Animals get -2 points for every clothing item not in the proper spot.

Animals get bonus points for each clothing item of their favorite material. Their favorite material type is located at the top right of the animal card for quick reference.
The first favorite clothing item is worth +1, the second is worth +2, the third is worth +3, the fourth is worth +4 for a possible total of 10 extra bonus points for all (4) of the same material type.

In the event of a tie, the animal with the most of their favorite items (including any covered items) wins. If there is still a tie, the player with the highest value of cards left in their hand wins (disregard suite—simply total the numbers). If there is still a tie, all tied players must have a long and thoughtful conversation on which of the tied animals is, in fact, the fanciest. Tea should probably be involved.

Remember:
*Sometimes it is worth it to use a clothing item as a wild in order to get something of higher value.

* Sometimes it is worth it to place a piece of clothing in the wrong spot—especially if it is a material type that your animal loves!

*If the Remove a Clothing Special Rules card is in play, it can be worth it to play a card from your hand to an existing run (or lay down a new run from your hand) in order to remove a piece of clothing you know an opponent wants or to try and find a piece of clothing that you want.

*Take advantage of the fact that each card can be used as 1 of 2 different suites. Just because a card is used in a sequence in one suite doesn't mean it can't be removed and used in a different suite.

* You can often make longer sequences than it first appears if you take a few moments to study the table and think creatively!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to go over the rules soon, but otherwise this seems pretty interesting. Rummikub is one of the few games my wife enjoys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never played Rummikub but I am familiar with standard rummi card games.

First off I really like the design of the cards. I would assume the colors are the different suits. Were you thinking of also having an icon or will the picture be the same for all values 1-13? May be useful for clarity and color-blind folks.

You may want to have an "Objective" or "Overview" section describing what players are trying to do. It started to become clearer once I got down to the scoring section but having an overall idea of what you're trying to do helps in the beginning.

I'd recommend having a "Turn Sequence" section that spells out the 3 options on your turn in an "a), b), c)" format (or something similar).

You're examples of legal plays are great. It may be useful to have an example at the end of the rules that walk through the first few turns as well to see the flow of the game.

Also, you're "Remember" items are a good idea. Were you thinking of having cards or player aids with an abbreviated rules guide? If not, maybe the back of the manual can break it down and include the remember items too.

Overall I think it's a great start! I'd like to see more card prototypes and a few example pictures as you continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.