Subject: Am i the only one who is totally unimpressed with this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raleigh of Borg
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was excited for this game and after playing it a few times i don't understand why everyone seems to like it. Its just Eldritch Horror in card format. What is so good about it? I played through the campaign and i don't even really care enough to teach my wife. What am i missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
Probably not, though I imagine you're in the minority around here. If it's not for you, it's not for you. Plenty of other games out there to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Mesas
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
I own Eldritch, Mansions, Arkham LCG and the light-weight Elder Sign.

* Eldritch is more easily to visualize by non-hardcore gamers.
* Mansions is more for casual gamers with an alpha player to share the evening.
* Elder Sign to play with my parents
* Arkham LCG seems like will be a hardcore-only that want to re-run increasing difficulty level (Blizzard Diablo?)

They provide me fun in different formats and I like them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luismesas wrote:

* Arkham LCG seems like will be a hardcore-only that want to re-run increasing difficulty level (Blizzard Diablo?)

To clarify you you are talking about Mansions 1E, 2E is an alpha player's nightmare

And once you add expansions to Elder Sign it actually starts to be challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luismesas wrote:

...and Arkham Horror original is for those of us who want all those kids to get off of our obsessively put together insanely complicated lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not, the rest just didn't care enough to post about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to find out for myself, but it's sold out pretty much everywhere. Everywhere except for the high priced websites that is.

I do have it on Tabletop Simulator however, just haven't gotten around to loading it up as of yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone who's unhappy with it wants to sell me their copy for retail price plus shipping and could guarantee Friday delivery I'd be interested!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Loe
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm with you on this one. I'll try it a few more times maybe, but it seems too random

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Well, you can't condemn it because it's too random. Every other game from that genre is random, Eldritch Horror uses dices (but you have some cards to mitigate luck), Elder Sign is the same, Arkham LCG uses tokens (but, still you have cards to mitigate luck) etc...

I've played it through Tabletop Simulator more than 50 times already, mostly to check what were the best combos for cards and characters. Because of that much games, can't be objective when I'm saying that I have stopped playing it and I'm bored with it, because it is probably saturation.

But, I know I will not pursue other expansions nor play them, which might be an indicator that I'm not really impressed with the game as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the hype but it's one game I'm not going to get sucked into. Although I have now become bored with it I spent a lot of time and money trying to keep up with all the expansions for Lotr LCG and I can see AH:TCG going down the same route. I think I've learned my lesson and will just stick with Eldritch Horror and Elder Signs for my Cthulhu\Lovecraft fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
I is a sucker for the Cthulhu Mythos, and FFG seems to do it best....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
gylvan2002 wrote:
I was excited for this game and after playing it a few times i don't understand why everyone seems to like it. Its just Eldritch Horror in card format. What is so good about it? I played through the campaign and i don't even really care enough to teach my wife. What am i missing?

I only played a few times, but to me it`s more than EH with cards. The story is much more cohesive and the characters are more fleshed out (since you have an entire deck of your own, not just 1 or 2 special abilities). I also personally prefer the fact that it feels more 'intimate' than EH, where you`re zooming around the whole world.
And it works much, much better solo (true solo or two-handed) or even 2P compared to EH, scratching the same itch with much less table space, setup and play time. If I only play 2P (which I usually do), this is basically a EH killer for now. I`ll keep it though for when I have more players and want to make a night of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With any of FFG's 'Living' games I think a cycle of expansions is almosg required before you bogher evaluatingg it. You may not want to form over the cash and thst is coetely understandable, but it really feels for any of their games (even x wing!) That the core box is half or less of the real experience.

It's a money making strategy that does seem to work for them. Being tied to big licenses helps a lot towwrds getting people to buy in so deep on 'promkse.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

It's a money making strategy that does seem to work for them. Being tied to big licenses helps a lot towwrds getting people to buy in so deep on 'promkse.'

Who is getting the license fee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

I know you're joking, because the Cthulhu mythos is public domain, but I believe the original Arkham Horror was licensed from Chaosium as was the name for the original Call of Cthulhu LCG. I'm sure that license probably ended with those games, but it's worth noting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

For the "Arkham Horror" line, FFG owns it outright (bought from Chaosium, which still owns the use of "Call of Cthulhu" as an RPG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize they bought Arkham Horror outright. That's good for them. I was wondering if they needed to pay some sort of licensing fee to Chaosium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Star Wars, 40k (formerly), Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings. Don't be coy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
So far, after only two games, I have found AHLCG less frustrating than Eldritch Horror because I have way more ability to control my results. I love Eldritch Horror, a lot, but the luck of the dice in that game can drive me insane.

In AHLCG by using my mix of assets and skills, and organizing my actions I find there is more decision making overall and more ways to mitigate the luck.

I also enjoy playing solo card games more than I do solo board games, so this is a great fit for my solo play needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree. While both have randomness, there seem to be much more easily obtained ways to mitigate risk.

And, when we get more cards to build up our decks, they'll be even more ways to mitigate the risk because you'll have more control over the input of one of the random factors.

Even without the deckbuilding, you can still draw extra cards to mitigate risk, but have to be careful not to lag behind being too safe or the Agenda will catch up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
I've played it through Tabletop Simulator more than 50 times already, mostly to check what were the best combos for cards and characters. <snip>
But, I know I will not pursue other expansions nor play them, which might be an indicator that I'm not really impressed with the game as a whole.

How many times do you play games you are impressed with?? I am trying to think if I have played any game in my collection 50 times..

Wray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
The Old Man wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Those all are owned by companies, or estates, that are paid royalty fees. Don't obfuscate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
The Old Man wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Those all are owned by companies, or estates, that are paid royalty fees. Don't obfuscate.

Obfuscate what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
The Old Man wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
The Old Man wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Obfuscate what?

I was guessing that your list of licensed titles was suppose to show me that someone would get a license fee for AH--it doesn't. Or did I miss your point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.