Subject: Gamer personality types...which one do you DISLIKE the most? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 'cause_we_don't_gripe_enough [+] [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know the different types of personalities and behaviors. I curious which one you dislike THE MOST? Which one can you not stand above all others? Any particular reasons why?

For me, it's the always late guy. No matter what time you set to start playing, they always have an excuse and can never be on time. To me, it shows extreme disrespect for everyone else's time. Being late every once in a while is fine, but not always! I actually stopped inviting a friend of mine over because of this exact reason.

Which characteristic do you dislike most?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickey

Colorado Springs
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gamer personality types...which ONE do you hate the most?
The "Go Guy."
The regular group I play with is very social. The games are just the conduit through which our socializing occurs. One player (with whom I do game, but usually not as part of this group) had joined us for a game of Agricola, and every turn was:
I do this, I do this, your turn. Go.
Other than he and myself, no one else had ever played the game. It was obvious that the other 2 players were not having a good time, and it was obvious why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the "I'll play but I'de rather be doing anything else including receiving dental surgery". No, man it's cool we don't have to play. No, lets play. Seriously, we can do whatever. No lets play. -game gets set up and explained-

I don't know what I'm doing. Well, I just explained the turn and what you can do and printed out that handy dandy help sheet that explains the three things you can do. Oh, what should I do? Well, you need to gets your economy going, so moving a worker there would be a good way to start. OK -moves worker, gets up and gets a drink and sits back down- What did you do? I was waiting for you to get back so you could see and learn. You could have made your move. Fine I'll move here. -gets up and goes to the bathroom, comes back, sighs- What should I do now?

There will be three more drink breaks, twelve more sighs and never will a move be made without asking first. I SAID WE DIDN'T HAVE TO PLAY. Then I have to find another place to bury a body...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate* the "oh, don't take the 10 minutes to explain the rules, we will just learn as we go" person. Seriously, just take the time to learn them because you literally cannot play the game without learning the rules.

I also hate* the "you should do this on your turn because it is obviously the best move" person. Don't give out unsolicited advice like that, especially in a condescending manner. Teach a game? Sure. Tell others how to play? Cut that crap out. Let others make their own decisions.

My favorite story about that is when I taught Vegas Showdown to someone. I have played that game dozens of times and taught it to some new players (mixed with some veterans for the game). On my turn I took my turn and was immediately criticized by one of the newbies who had literally just learned the rules minutes before. I tried to explain that other factors besides what he was thinking were involved in choosing what to do, be he wouldn't stop with his "analysis" of the best move. He lost the game.

*I don't really hate anybody. I've played with both these types of players above and enjoyed myself, but let's assume this faux outrage be more amusement than hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
I hate the player that stops trying once things aren't going their way. Even worse is when they've decided it's someone's fault and, instead of continuing to play the game, they focus their efforts on undermining that player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sore loser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khexhu

Plainfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
What do you hate most?

The "Let's label everyone so we can spread hate guy". whistle

Second is the "This game clearly sucks because I just lost my first game of it" guy.

Third would be the "Do you know how many games we could have played in the time you just spent talking about x?" guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that I will likely be in the extreme minority here (so please don't pile the hate down on me...) but I tend to dislike playing with people who get so into the mechanics at the expense of the theme. For example, I'm into Star Trek Attack Wing. I love Star Trek. I mean, I LOVE Star Trek. I'm usually in my Starfleet uniform track jacket when I play. Or my uniform shirt. Or my uniform onesie. Or...you get the idea. So, when someone games the system and puts Captain Picard on a Romulan ship with a Ferengi crew member and a Borg weapon...I get a little upset.

Another related type is the person who expects me to play the game like them and then usually gets upset with me when I do not. This can mean those who "build their engines" based on what the "best" possible moves are for them and the other players and then gets mad when I don't do that "best move" and that derails their system.

To those types, look, guys, I'm here to play the game, use my imagination, and have fun. This all makes me lose quite a bit, but, boy, do I enjoy doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Busani Games wrote:
I hate the player that stops trying once things aren't going their way. Even worse is when they've decided it's someone's fault and, instead of continuing to play the game, they focus their efforts on undermining that player.
this person often creates their own endgame of kingmaking someone else, which causes even more trouble from my experience

i think there are a lot of problematic gamer personalities

the hyper-competitive, win-at-all-costs, would stab their mother in the back to win kind of people. they often take it very personally if they lose and tend to gloat when they win

the 'it looks too complicated, so i don't even want to try to learn' people, even for things that are relatively simple. they are similar to the 'i didn't pay attention to the rules, so you have to re-explain them every time it's my turn for the rest of the game'

there's the phone-lookers, the greasy food-eaters, and the quarterbacks who tell others how to play their turns, but my most hated gamer personality is the cheater

nothing makes me more upset than finding out that someone was cheating. i get it, sometimes games can be competitive. but within a playgroup, there's a certain metagame that everyone at least subconsciously understands. someone cheating completely ruins that. i had a gaming group of 6 people that completely fell apart when we found out that two of them colluded together in Resistance: Avalon (which is such a terrible game to try to cheat in, since you're randomly assigned to a team every game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HvKjr wrote:
So, when someone games the system and puts Captain Picard on a Romulan ship with a Ferengi crew member and a Borg weapon...I get a little upset.

I believe that is the perfect cue for someone to post a link to a novel/short story/fanfic where that actually happened...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor losers, and people who actually get upset when the winner gloats and struts around like a peacock. Somebody is king of the room for literally the time it takes to set up the next game, then it's over. If your ego is so fragile that this is going to damage you, we probably shouldn't be playing together. It's not like they beat you out for the Academy Award either - you've only been trying to get this prize for the last two hours.

We used to counteract this in family games with the house rule that the winner cleans up.

My dad gets like this. He's highly competitive, and when he acts out you can tell that he's just disappointed in his own performance and aiming it outwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the "doesn't understand how to play the game" type. All the others are annoying sure, but at least you can play a game with them. A while back I played with someone who just did not understand Terraforming Mars. She had to have every card explained to her, usually multiple times. The other guy practically played for her. Worst gaming experience of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy that in the middle of his second game of Roll for the Galaxy he hasn't yet figured out how to arrange his dice behind the screen. The guy who halfway through Carcassonne somehow stops understanding the placement rules for tiles, not meeples but tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I hate the "doesn't understand how to play the game" type. All the others are annoying sure, but at least you can play a game with them. A while back I played with someone who just did not understand Terraforming Mars. She had to have every card explained to her, usually multiple times. The other guy practically played for her. Worst gaming experience of my life.

I taught several games at a convention a while back - in-depth but not too crazy, a worker placement and a couple others. Since it's usually only my wife and I playing at home, I was relishing the chance to play with full(er) player counts myself. This person would actually hit me repeatedly, asking over and over to have the game or some aspect explained or "Should I do this? Would this be good to do?". Often this was during my turn or right before it making me forget that it was my turn. This person was at over 2/3 of the games I taught that week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cell phone boy or can't stay at the table while others take their turn guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:

I also hate* the "you should do this on your turn because it is obviously the best move" person. Don't give out unsolicited advice like that, especially in a condescending manner. Teach a game? Sure. Tell others how to play? Cut that crap out. Let others make their own decisions.

My favorite story about that is when I taught Vegas Showdown to someone. I have played that game dozens of times and taught it to some new players (mixed with some veterans for the game). On my turn I took my turn and was immediately criticized by one of the newbies who had literally just learned the rules minutes before. I tried to explain that other factors besides what he was thinking were involved in choosing what to do, be he wouldn't stop with his "analysis" of the best move. He lost the game.

This exactly describes why I stopped gaming with a particular person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
Poor losers, and people who actually get upset when the winner gloats and struts around like a peacock.
while i agree that sore losers are not fun, i think there's perhaps a difference between sore losers and people don't like sore winners
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
I hate nobody meeple

But I avoid gamers with AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that complains about other gamers' personality types.

Pete (is suddenly filled with self-loathing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheaters aside (because they are the de facto scum of gaming), Kingmakers and game throwers really really are the worst in my book. The flip sides of the same cheap coin.

People should play to the strength of their individual merits, and when they slum it, or shift the balance of power to be spiteful or ingratiating, it just sours everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People who lay out their stuff so badly you can't tell what is their discard pile, what is their deck, which are their tapped cards which aren't... etc etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
I hate* the "oh, don't take the 10 minutes to explain the rules, we will just learn as we go" person. Seriously, just take the time to learn them because you literally cannot play the game without learning the rules.

This is a good pick. The worst is when the people with this attitude are teaching the game.

HvKjr wrote:
I realize that I will likely be in the extreme minority here (so please don't pile the hate down on me...) but I tend to dislike playing with people who get so into the mechanics at the expense of the theme. For example, I'm into Star Trek Attack Wing. I love Star Trek. I mean, I LOVE Star Trek. I'm usually in my Starfleet uniform track jacket when I play. Or my uniform shirt. Or my uniform onesie. Or...you get the idea. So, when someone games the system and puts Captain Picard on a Romulan ship with a Ferengi crew member and a Borg weapon...I get a little upset.

Another related type is the person who expects me to play the game like them and then usually gets upset with me when I do not...

So, not to criticize as we're all at least a little hypocritical but aren't you doing in the first paragraph exactly what you're complaining about in the second paragraph, or am I missing something? You're upset that they don't play Attack Wing the way you like. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't really see the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Wants to get laid by that girl" guy. He's the guy who sucks up to, patronizes, or even throws the game to the girl.

The "I don't know where my discard pile is" guy. He's the deckbuilding player who discards his cards face up on top of his draw pile.

The "I frontloaded the instructions of this game with all the other instructions I have from other games" guy. They read the first three words on a card then become confused because they think the instructions on the card use the same mechanics from the other games he played that night.

The "I don't know my own strength -- again" guy. He's the guy who breaks your Eurorails crayons, your Games Workshop space marine snap-together miniatures, and insists he can do it right this time.

The "I think everyone's about to sabotage each other" guy. Great way to suck out the whole point of a negotiation guy.

The "I'm showing you your own CCG cards while you're trying to teach everyone else" guy. He's the one who looks at the cards in the tutorial CCG deck and tells you which ones are the coolest even though you built the deck.

The "I'm can't learn anything and I'll tell you I can't learn anything and I'm not trying to learn anything because I'm spending time telling you I can't learn anything because I've convinced myself I can't learn anything and I can't learn anything" girl. Didn't you just tell me you did yours and someone else's tax returns?

The "Chinese noodles are great" guy. Nah, that's okay. FFG has linen-finish cards and there's no hidden information, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:

HvKjr wrote:

Another related type is the person who expects me to play the game like them and then usually gets upset with me when I do not...

So, not to criticize as we're all at least a little hypocritical but aren't you doing in the first paragraph exactly what you're complaining about in the second paragraph, or am I missing something? You're upset that they don't play Attack Wing the way you like. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't really see the difference.
not the person you quoted, but i think the difference is in how it's presented.

in the first paragraph, he wants to play thematic games and feels that other's decisions ruin the immersion, but the difference i think is that he will play his game, immersion ruined or not and try to make the most of it, while others will say 'why aren't you doing [this more optimal decision]?', ignoring the fact that he's trying to play to the theme

i don't know if i get like this in competitive games as much, but i find i'm like this role-playing games like DnD. nothing annoys me more than a power gamer who also gets annoyed at people for making suboptimal decisions for the sake of role-playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HvKjr wrote:

jblomquist wrote:

Interesting thought, and in a way I suppose you're right (I'll perhaps have to check myself next time I play Attack Wing, though the Trekkie in me will still cringe when I see a Cardassian captaining the Enterprise...). In the second paragraph, though, I'm more thinking of people who see games more as mechanics or the old computer "if/then" programs. For example, I was playing a game of Mission: Red Planet recently, and a couple other players were optimizing their resource gathering according to conventional game play. I flew some astronauts to a their regions, ignoring my own regions on the planet and thus disrupting their "I move here, he'll move here, then I'll move here..." mechanical game play. They got upset as I wasn't following good game logic to gather my own resources. It turned out I had an objective that I was meeting, but it served as an example for me of how I consider myself a more casual gamer. My brain doesn't work solely in mechanisms and I don't try to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.