DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Expectations on expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should we expect to see at least a handful of expansions for this game? I wouldn't assume there would be as many as there are in Descent 2e and Imperial Assault, but like those games I imagine there will be some.

Certainly wouldn't be opposed to more demons, large and small, and many more map tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
Doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so. Something that focuses on PVP and utilizes the Invaders as special abilities, like in the video game, would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as "dead-tree" expansions, my suspicion is that we probably won't get much, if any. I'd like to be wrong about that, as I'd enjoy seeing the game expand but I just have a hunch that it will be pretty self-contained. The market for this game will be considerably smaller and more selective than that of Descent or Imperial Assault.

Personally, if they only ever did one thing to expand the base game, I hope it would be to introduce a fully co-op app for the game to take control of the demon hordes. Reason being, I have a few friends that don't really like games with the "one vs. many" formula and if I had a means to play it fully co-op, I'd have more opportunities to get it to the table.

I'd also like to see an "Arcade Mode" akin to the updated extra content that was released for the video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with every FFG new line of product based on video game, you should expect at least 1 expansion that will improve the game on all aspects. For example I own/owned: Warcraft BG, Starcraft BG, the old Doom BG, World of Warcraft BG, Twilight Imperium 3rd.

For all of those game the basic marketing technique used by FFG was to release a working board game that got greatly better with the addition of at least one expansion. What usually happens behind the scene, due to marketing, is the creators of a game create a game with customizable heroes, multiple ways to play the game, all monster from the game are represented, etc. Then, due to marketing, to make more money through the release of expansions, you check what can be removed from your game while keeping it playabe,

What make me certain that this version of Doom BG will have at least one expansion, the monsters. There is no Hell Knight, Summoner, Hell Razer, Lost Souls, Possessed Scientist/Unwilling, Possessed Security, Cyber-Mancubus and Spider Mastermind. Just the fact there is no Hell Knight with the release first pictures confirmed for me that FFG had plan for at least one expansion.

If the game turn out to be popular, we might see additional expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion-wise, personally, I would like to see an app that controls the monsters, in the style of Mansions of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want Hell Knights and one or two bosses

I really hope for at least one expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

-
msg tools
The game has Baron of Hell which is just a tad bigger Hell Knight. But they don't include Archvile in base game?! What are they thinking!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
if its like Gears of War (which is so awesome) you will get a expansion that is a pack of 15 cards and thats it. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Williams
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiewarrior07 wrote:
Expansion-wise, personally, I would like to see an app that controls the monsters, in the style of Mansions of Madness.

Yeah, me too. 1 to 4 marines are dropped onto a starting tile, and you have to explore and figure out exactly what to do. That would fit perfectly here.

Maybe also a mode where you can specify how many lives each player has too, to adjust difficulty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why bother why just an application? They should just make the whole thing a video game and get rid of the need for dumb things like minis, cards or other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Why bother why just an application? They should just make the whole thing a video game and get rid of the need for dumb things like minis, cards or other players.

Hmmm....

They could certainly streamline the experience going that route. Enemies could be fully automated, rules would be integrated into the game experience so there'd be no problems with recollection, and it would allow for multiplayer and solo play (although some would find the limit of playing only one character to be too restrictive).

But if you go that route, you turn the "many-on-one" gameplay into a co-operative. Hopefully it'll remove the "co-operative solitaire" and "just do what the leader says" aspects through aggressive waves of enemy targets, but we'll have to see. Also, some players will be quick to point out that you're likely losing all (or almost all) strategic elements in exchange for snap tactics, totally sacrificing game play for theme at some point.

(sorry folks, I couldn't resist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:

You know...I think I've heard about something exactly like that recently. I think it was called Duke Nukem or some such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any actual info on, to quote Brad Pitt from Se7en: "What's in the box?" Full numbers on components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Is there any actual info on, to quote Brad Pitt from Se7en: "What's in the box?" Full numbers on components?

I haven't seen a contents list yet, but...

From the sleeving guide on the product page, we can deduce there are...
- somewhere between 151 & 200 Standard USA sized cards (4 packs of green FFG sleeves)
- no more than 50 Mini USA sized cards (1 pack of yellow FFG sleeves)

From product images...
- there are at least 6 dice (2 x black, 4 x red)
- 4 marine minis (I guess there could be more for other poses/weapons, but unlikely?)

It's hard to tell how many monster minis & room tiles there might be.

Am sure someone else will have more info, or can do more detailed detective work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Summerfield
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I estimated the number of figures at:
1 Cyberdemon
2 Barons of Hell
2 Mancubi
4 Cacodemons
4 Pinkies
4 Revenants
8 Imps
8 Possessed Soldiers
4 Marines

I was mostly right, but now people are getting their copies and are showing off pictures of the components. There are actually 3 Revenants and 9 Imps. Still, not a bad guess on my part. The rest of the ratios are accurate though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.