Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Bonin
United States
Otsego
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Roland Banks reaction ability reads "When you defeat an enemy: discover 1 clue at your location. (Limit once per round)

1.The Masked Hunter's ability reads "while engaged with The Masked Hunter, you cannot discover or spend clues.

After I defeat The Masked Hunter with Roland Banks do I get to discover a clue?

2. Also about Roland Banks ability, if succeed at adding Herman Collins to the victory display by Parley and discarding 4 cards. Is Herman Collins also defeated allowing me to discover a clue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you defeat Masked Hunter, I would imagine he is no longer engaged with you, so you should get Roland's clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Rules Reference under Dealing Damage/Horror:
Quote:
After applying damage/horror, if an enemy has damage equal to or higher than its health, it is defeated and placed in the encounter discard pile (or in its owner’s discard pile if it is a weakness).

So once he is defeated, he leaves the board to go to the discard pile and is no longer engaged, so you do get to discover your clue.

As for 2, I'd say Parley is not a form of defeating. That would be me just following the Grim Rule though.

Edit:
As a follow up for 2, also from the rules reference:
Quote:
Defeat
Taking damage and/or horror may cause an investigator, enemy, or asset to be defeated.

So it would stand to reason that Parley is not a way to defeat an enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. You trigger Roland's reaction after the enemy is no longer in play.

2. There is nothing in the rulebook that would imply that adding an enemy to the victory display or discarding it from play (Disc of Itzamna) would be considered as defeating it. The rulebook only lists one what to defeat an enemy - deal enough damage to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aperfectcleanup wrote:

Roland Banks reaction ability reads "When you defeat an enemy: discover 1 clue at your location. (Limit once per round)

You made an important error in your text above. Roland's ability triggers "after" you Defeat an enemy, not "when"

Rules Reference, Page 21

Quote:
"When"

The word "when" refers to the moment immediately after the specified timing point or triggering condition, but before its impact upon the game state resolves.

What does this mean in the context of the question here?

As you wrote it in your question, if Roland's ability triggers "when" you defeat an enemy, the Defeat would have triggered but not yet be fully resolved before checking Roland's ability, in which case you would still be blocked from using it because the Hunter was not yet defeated.

As it stands, the correct text on Roland's card uses "after", which means it triggers after the Defeat is fully resolved, and therefore you get the result from it

"When" and "After" are both defined in the Rules Reference and worth getting your head around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.