Subject: Scythe Tournament at Prezcon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers, Winter Game Fest, etc.
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Prezcon's Scythe tourney will be Tuesday, Feb. 21.
http://www.prezcon.com/
In addition to plaques for placing, the winner will get a set of Scythe metal coins donated by Stonemaier Games. I'll be the struggling GM. PM me if you'd like to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't make it but plead post the results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...
What stats should I collect and share?
Should I offer standard, random setup, or have bidding (with points) for favored setups? The objective is to reward skill, not luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
Should I offer standard, random setup, or have bidding (with points) for favored setups? The objective is to reward skill, not luck.
What would you consider a 'lucky' setup?

Imho, a player's skill shows best if they're competent regardless which faction / player board they get.

Memorizing the opening moves and overall strategy of a single faction surely isn't indicative of skill?!

Statistics I'd be interested in is total # players, faction/board combinations in play, final score, and which player placed the 6th star.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there Scythe tournament rules posted anywhere? Either by Stonemaier or someone who has run a tourney of this.

Looking at possibly running a tourney at a local con (400-500 or so attendees) next spring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris: We haven’t run a Scythe tournament, but I know of someone who has, and I know of others that will soon be run.

The first thing for you to decide is if it will be a teaching tournament or if it will be a non-teaching tournament (players have all played Scythe at least once before). If it's a teaching tournament, I think you'll want an extra round of play just for those who are learning, as the experienced players are going to have a much better experience (and much faster games) if they're not teaching new players.

The core of the tournament kind of depends on the number of players. I would aim for 4 to a table, and +/- 1 is fine. If you have 25 or fewer people, it would be a two-round tournament: 5 games in the first round, and the winner of each game participates in the final game. If you end up with fewer than 5 games in the first round, you could do a 4-player final or allow for a wild-card player (the player in the first round with the highest non-winning score, all tiebreakers still apply).

There is one note in the rulebook about tournament play: No trading. Everything else should remain the same, though I would take a cue from our FAQ and not allow Rusviet to be paired with the Industrial player mat.

As for Stonemaier support, we're interested in supporting tournaments by donating an accessory or two (like the metal coins) if the tournament is a teaching tournament or if Scythe and Scythe accessories are available for purchase to the participants (not necessarily at the tournament, but maybe from a vendor at the convention). There are certain games that are somewhat self-perpetuating due to a vast tournament system (like Magic), but our games are not, so we're looking for a more direct return on investment if we support them. I'm certainly open to peoples' opinions and insight about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Eric Engelmann wrote:
What would you consider a 'lucky' setup?

Imho, a player's skill shows best if they're competent regardless which faction / player board they get.

Memorizing the opening moves and overall strategy of a single faction surely isn't indicative of skill?!

Statistics I'd be interested in is total # players, faction/board combinations in play, final score, and which player placed the 6th star.

OK, then. We'll do random setups, with the Rusviet player mat re-drawn if it turns out to be the industrial player mat. I'll create an editable stats collection spreadsheet for table use and results sharing, and post it here for use/refinement by other GM's.

Here's the first draft.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YsdU8-ZBYR7obl0Mi__w...

Played OK at my Friday club, with a little grumbling about having to get stats. Will work on adding a score calculation sheet. One suggestion was to remove player board 5 at four player tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.