Hide
16 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Push... why ever use normal move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
Well not quite.. I get that a "move action" can take you 2 spaces and you can take actions in the middle of it.. even so a "push action" you to move 1 space but take an investigator with you.

I'm about to start my 1st session but reading the rules it seams to me that you basically want to do push actions, at least at the start of the game as it allows the pushed investigator to move additional spaces. You can even tier, as in do multiple pushes on the same investigator and that person as the last to do anything has 2 actions and is DEEP into the dungeon.

Do you guys use the push action a lot? Am I misunderstanding the push action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
owen sullivan
United States
Ellisville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you push an investigator, they move 1 space, but your character doesn't move at all. So you are really losing 1 move as a group when you use a push action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
lordevilthefirst wrote:
When you push an investigator, they move 1 space, but your character doesn't move at all. So you are really losing 1 move as a group when you use a push action.

Actually I believe you are mistaken on that...

P14 Reference Guide - PUSH ACTION wrote:
5) Resolve Movement: The monster or chosen investigator moves 1 space toward the chosen space. Then the active investigator may move 1 space toward the chosen space.

emphasis is mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The push action is a lot more useful than the rulebook seems to expect, but it's not always what you want to do.

If investigator A spends both actions moving, he'll go 4 spaces on his turn. If investigator B spends both actions moving, she'll also go 4 spaces on her turn, for a total of 8 spaces of movement among the two of them.

On the other hand, if investigator A pushes B twice, they'll both move 2 spaces, then if investigator B pushes A twice, they'll move 2 more spaces, for a total of 8 spaces among the two of them.

In terms of just raw movement, it comes out the same, so it's entirely up to the situation to determine which is more useful. It's often useful, for example, to shove someone one space to something they can interact with, so that they can spend both actions searching it. Or shove an investigator through a door so they can attack twice.

On the other hand, if you're still early in the investigation, you might not know who needs to go where yet, so it's often useful to just take regular movement actions to sort of hedge your bets; you won't always want your investigators to move in lockstep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
owen sullivan
United States
Ellisville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
lordevilthefirst wrote:

Actually I believe you are mistaken on that...

5) Resolve Movement: The monster or chosen investigator moves 1 space toward the chosen space. Then the active investigator may move 1 space toward the chosen space.

emphasis is mine

My mistake then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dude you blew my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalAttack wrote:

Dude you blew my mind.

Push is described in the rules as a little used action but it can be key to winning the game. For example, if two investigators are in a space with a monster and both want to escape, a good strategy is for the one with the highest agility to push the other out of the space. Then, there will be one evade test needed instead of two. The pusher will need to do an evade as they performed an action and a voluntary move but the pushed will not as they have not performed an action or a move they initiated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
DayinDaLife wrote:
Well not quite.. I get that a "move action" can take you 1 spaces

A move action takes you two spaces. We played that wrong first game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
that was actually a typo.. sorry.. yeah it is 2 spaces!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
FinalAttack wrote:

Dude you blew my mind.

Push is described in the rules as a little used action but it can be key to winning the game. For example, if two investigators are in a space with a monster and both want to escape, a good strategy is for the one with the highest agility to push the other out of the space. Then, there will be one evade test needed instead of two. The pusher will need to do an evade as they performed an action and a voluntary move but the pushed will not as they have not performed an action or a move they initiated.

I have played every scenario and never once even thought of pushing. However this actually sounds kind of useful now. I must try it in my next session. Brings to mind a certain Curtis Mayfield song...... From the movie Superfly.......showing my age.....I'll get my coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have used push a few times in my games, but didn't realise you could push and move along with the character. I usually shove someone into a monster so they can attack twice, but it's worth knowing that it can work the other way too. Thanks for pointing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
DreadFool wrote:
I usually shove someone into a monster so they can attack twice

Savage!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda cheesy though, I think. Can't imagine this was designed for pushing other players. Thematically it's ropey. Though if I lose s2 again I might have to try it ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob S
msg tools
Nicola Zee wrote:
FinalAttack wrote:

Dude you blew my mind.

I don't have the rules in front of me but I thought there were some distinctions between being pushed willingly or resisting (which results in an opposing dice roll) and I imagine whether you have to conduct an evade check or not may be one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
I've played eight sessions of this game and only after reading this thread do I realise that the move action can be used to move two spaces, not just one -_-... This game is going to get a whole lot easier I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking this is more like a "grab my hand and run with me" than a push.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.