Subject: Multiple equal noise zones - split rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yesterday, we encountered the following situation;

there were three equally noisy zones. During zombie activation, two zombies in a single zone had to move to those zones. Two of the noise zones were on the same path, next to each other. Schematically, it would look like this:

N NN
XXZXX

With X marking a path, Z marking the 2 zombies and N marking the three noisiest zones.

Would the zombies in this case split in two, or would a third zombie spawn to move towards the third noisezone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I don' completely understand your scheme, but I guess it can be simlified to this problem:

NZNN

In this case I would say that they just split into two (no extra spawning).

But in your case, if there are two routes (of the same length) to the third Noise Zone, than you should spawn a third Zombie to cover all three directions.

Those situations are the reason why I don't really like the splitting rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it like this:

Step 1: Determine target Zones. In this case, there are 3.

Step 2: Determine all shortest paths to each of the target Zones found in Step 1. It's a bit hard to tell from your diagram, but let's say there is only one path to each Zone, so three paths total.

Step 3: For each of the paths found in step 2, determine the starting Zone of the movement. In this case, there are two such Zones as two of the paths overlap.

Step 4: Split the Zombies equally among the Zones found in step 3 by type, adding extra Zombies from the supply if necessary.

So they will only split into halves in this example due to the overlapping paths. If you think about the process methodically as outlined above, you'll have the key to solve every routing problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Owh, I see the forum removed the extra spaces. Let me try again:

NOOONN
XXZXXO

With N being equal noise, X a path, Z zombies and O a building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeroenemans wrote:
Owh, I see the forum removed the extra spaces. Let me try again:

NOOONN
XXZXXO

With N being equal noise, X a path, Z zombies and O a building.

The Zs are only pulled in two directions in your example, so one moves one way, the second moves the other way. Easy split. Think of it this way; If Zs need to cross over more than one edge of their start zone to move toward their target zone, then a split occurs. In your example they must cross the east edge and west edge of their start zone to move toward their target zone, so they split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Think of it like this:

Step 1: Determine target Zones. In this case, there are 3.

Step 2: Determine all shortest paths to each of the target Zones found in Step 1. It's a bit hard to tell from your diagram, but let's say there is only one path to each Zone, so three paths total.

Step 3: For each of the paths found in step 2, determine the starting Zone of the movement. In this case, there are two such Zones as two of the paths overlap.

Step 4: Split the Zombies equally among the Zones found in step 3 by type, adding extra Zombies from the supply if necessary.

So they will only split into halves in this example due to the overlapping paths. If you think about the process methodically as outlined above, you'll have the key to solve every routing problem.

This makes sense, thanks. This goes into my rules-binder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
The split rule had us going crazy last night. So thanks to Clipper as always for helping to square things away.

Our trouble was that on the opposite side of a building from a Z were THREE sets of 2 characters each in their own separate spaces.

So, yes, we could see that the Z would need to split to go both to the Left and the Right, but did we need to have TWO zombies go one way and ONE go the other. i.e. split into three zombies.

To help explain it, I provided a simpler example. What if all those characters were instead simply on the street around the corner to the right; they were not circled around the building. The Zombie only has one direction to go, to the Right and you wouldn't split him.

It's always simply based on how many directions can the Z set off in. The number of Noisiest zones is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DougA wrote:
It's always simply based on how many directions can the Z set off in. The number of Noisiest zones is irrelevant.

Right, it's about how many directions they need to take to leave their start zone. If they need to leave their start zone by exiting off of two "boundaries" of the zone then you need a two way split. If off of three "boundaries", you need a three way split, etc. To your point it's not necessarily about the number of target zones, but rather how the Zs have to leave their start zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.