15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Open, low conflict, big game for two. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dhu Cerbin
msg tools
Hi,

I'm mostly playing with my SO, so game must play good with two players.
We need some open game with low conflict, yet it should provide some depth and sense of building something great. Why? We have many games that push players to resolve problems and throw new threats at them. We like Glass Road for it's inability to plan in long term. We like Voyages of Marco Polo and constant feel of not having enough dices and actions. We like Five Tribes with its ever-changing situation.
But we need something different.

Something open, when you have options and paths, and those paths are available to you all time. Like Russian railroads - your track that you build don't suddenly become unavailable - you pick one, and stick to it. Or pick two ...
With low conflict, where you can stick to building your thing and don't fear that oponent will screw you. If it's multiplayer solitaire - no problem. We like Race for the Galaxy and play it as solitaire.
Big - you build something and can tweak it, or you can build it in many ways. Choices matter and influence your next actions in some way.

Extra points for simplicity - I'm not sure if it's right word, but I talk about Concordia-like simplicity - where core rules are pretty simple.

Theme? Some theme would be nice, but we're mostly euro gamers and find Troyes and Glass Road immersive.

Time? Not extreme long, 2hrs maybe.

I'm thinking about Gallerist, but need more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired the new edition of Railways of the World with the additional map of Mexico (for 2 to 3 players).

I can only recommend that game as it fits several of your criteria:
* great game for 2 players (and up to six when playing the normal map)
* very open game
* no direct conflict, although sometimes players "race" to build certain tracks
* simple rules (only 5 actions available on your turn) but great depth (BGG weight of 3.03)
* theme (especially if your into trains )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More could be something you might wanna consider. It's engine building at its best but it can be tricky to get outside of Germany.

Also Medina (second edition) maybe? This game has more "we build something" to it than most other games I know of. Can be a bit cutthroat though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Caverna: The Cave Farmers?
It's definitely big, while having relatively simple and straightforward core rules, low conflict (just the usual worker placement-conflict), you build something - and you can do it in many, many ways, it has theme and as a 2-players-game, it is absolutely playable in under 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Lynde
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Are is an idea. Conflict is only generated by one player taking a spot that the other player might want but there are so many spots, you have plenty of other options. I don't think I would call this game simple but I think it is much simpler than The Gallerist.

Also Rahdo from Rahdo Runs Through focuses on non conflict games good with 2 players so he might be a great resource for you.

We also consider Murano with two players a similar weight and complexity as Concordia with two players. It is similar to Fields of Arle that there is enough space on the board that even if your opponent takes a space you want, there are many places open for you. I have heard reviewers say it gets more cutthroat with more than two players though. Murano is much simpler than Fields of Arle and The Gallerist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iszole
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try My Village

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhNz wrote:
Glen More could be something you might wanna consider. It's engine building at its best but it can be tricky to get outside of Germany.

Also Medina (second edition) maybe? This game has more "we build something" to it than most other games I know of. Can be a bit cutthroat though

Glen More is not a good recommendation based on the OP's requirements. But, it was released as Lunarchitects recently in the states.

The Splotter games would be right up your alley (if you can afford them).

The Great Zimbabwe
Roads & Boats
Food Chain Magnate
Antiquity

The rules to the above games are not difficult, and blend right into play. Mostly they are intuitive. You will probably struggle the most with Roads & Boats, rules-wise. Food Chain Magnate is probably the worst with 2 and also the most competitive, but competition is indirect and economic, rather than you directly attacking your opponent. Antiquity is the least competitive but the most challenging. In general, they are large, open games which allow for creative play, and they all last about 2 hours with 2 players, though your first plays will be longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Germany
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Merchant of Venus (second edition) could fit. No harm in looking outside your comfort zone, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Concordia

+1 Roads & Boats

The Gallerist is also another excellent option: my favorite game from 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tatman
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Bruxelles 1883

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144592/bruxelles-1893
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely second Fields of Arle : the scope is pretty epic, there is low conflict and it's very open (and gets often criticized as being sandboxy because of that). It also plays under 2 h once you get the hang of it.

I also think you'd like Bruxelles 1893. It plays fast, you build your reputation as an architect, and the game scales wonderfully from two to higher player counts, which is a plus compared to Fields of Arles. Bruxelles 1893 is more interactive though, you will definitely interfere with one another, but no take that.

A third possibility is Orléans. Once you know the game it's quite fast, very low conflict, and you start small and grow to prominence. Nevertheless theme is thinner in this game that for the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhu Cerbin
msg tools
Thanks for all recomendations!

About Concordia and Bruxelles 1883 - we feel that most choices are taken from you by game itself and oponents plays. We like Bruxelles but we look for something different.

More so with FCM, we felt that situation forces you to change strategy constantly, is it the same with other Splotter games?

I will look into Fields of Arle and Railways of the World (this is surprise for me). Will check Murano also, but I don't see anywhere near me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.