Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Prueher
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, looking for some help on a handful of questions that came up after one play.

1. Is the Teleport spell affected by hinderance? Shevatas was in a space with a Pict and used Teleport to move two spaces away. Would he put two or three gems on the spell?

2. When a character (like Hydrathus) uses an area effect spell while he is in the same space, is he also hit for damage? And if so, could he put a gem in the guard action to guard against his own attack?

3. How many times can you use the items found in chests? I know the rulebook specifies that a life potion can only be used once, but what about the grenade item? Does that get tapped and reset each turn? Could a hero throw more than one grenade on his turn? Also, that particular item has a manipulation hand icon. So would the hero put a gem on the manipulation icon on his player mat first, take the corresponding die from that, then add the two red die from the grenade item card? Or would he put the gems directly on the grenade card and not on his player mat? (I know the item isn't called "grenade" but I don't have the game in front of me at the moment). This item card really confused us.

4. In the first scenario, once the Princess is found, can the Overlord try to kill her? Or is his only option to kill the hero holding her so he drops her? I assume the movement on her tile is not applicable to this scenario.

OK, that's it. Loved the game, just had these nagging questions afterward. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Teleport's been mentioned several times, and no it is not affected by Hinderance... although I'm curious on why Shevatas (the non-spellcasting rogue) is using Teleport. Hydrathus is your spellcaster in the suggested game 1 group.

2. Area affect damage hits all targets in those areas, including friendly characters. I don't know if it's been ruled on but I'd assume you cannot both cast a spell and try to guard against it at the same time.

3. One-time use for them all; the grenade doesn't list it's discarded but it has been ruled to be used up. You will place your cards in the Manipulation space when throwing the grenade.

4. She has 1 health but the Picts want to sacrifice her at the end of the 8 rounds, so I'd say no they shouldn't try to physically harm her. If they kill the hero she will stay on the tile he died on until picked up again, so it's the Picts best defense on keeping her from leaving the board. The princess cannot move, she doesn't get a tile--just the small circular princess icon to reflect who is carrying her.

In that vein, your area attacks can still affect her and she only has one health--so keep her safe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to the previous answers:

chimplips wrote:
1. Is the Teleport spell affected by hinderance? Shevatas was in a space with a Pict and used Teleport to move two spaces away. Would he put two or three gems on the spell?

3 gems, but i suspect you mean Haddy, not Shivvy. (Edit: 3 because that's the casting cost, not because of hindrance.) The spell's casting cost (top/left) has to be paid each time it is used, and each use can then move you up to X spaces. Be careful to observe encumbrance, though: the Spellcaster skill disappears once the caster is carrying a moderate amount of weight. (i missed that in my first several sessions.)

chimplips wrote:
2. When a character (like Hydrathus) uses an area effect spell while he is in the same space, is he also hit for damage? And if so, could he put a gem in the guard action to guard against his own attack?

i've seen no ruling on this, but i would guess "yes". There's nothing about the source of an area attack which changes how its damage is applied.

chimplips wrote:
4. In the first scenario, once the Princess is found, can the Overlord try to kill her? Or is his only option to kill the hero holding her so he drops her? I assume the movement on her tile is not applicable to this scenario.

If the scenario doesn't assign her hit points then there's no in-scenario way for her to die (via area effects or otherwise). In this scenario, if the OL can kill her then the heroes have already lost.

Similarly, the scenario gives her a weight of 6 but does not specifically account for the ability to cut her in half and carry her in two pieces (which would make it possible for Haddy to teleport while carrying half of her).

It says only that the Princess "is unconscious and counts as an object with an encumbrance value of 6". For sanity's sake, i think we must assume that she's "invincible" in the context of this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah how did Shevatas use teleport?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking the scenario says the princess has 1 HP, but I don't have the book in front of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
I'm thinking the scenario says the princess has 1 HP, but I don't have the book in front of me.

i've got it in front of me - she is "an object with an encumbrance value of 6" and no listed HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Prueher
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help. Yes, it was Hydrathus who cast Teleportation, not Shevatas. It looks like there are two different answers about whether the spell is affected by hinderance--one person said no, another said it would cost three gems to move two spaces away if there's an enemy sharing the space. Is there an official ruling from Monolith on this?

Regarding items, some of them in the first scenario are shields and weapons. Are those also one-time use, like the grenade and life potion? Thanks! Hoping the new rulebooks clear these things up as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chimplips wrote:
Thanks for the help. Yes, it was Hydrathus who cast Teleportation, not Shevatas. It looks like there are two different answers about whether the spell is affected by hinderance--one person said no, another said it would cost three gems to move two spaces away if there's an enemy sharing the space. Is there an official ruling from Monolith on this?

Spells are not affected by hindrance - that topic has been beaten to a pulp in other threads (summary: each spell would require its own description of how it is hindered, and there are no such descriptions). Some people confuse teleport as a movement action, but it is not - it is a spell action which has the side effect of moving the caster.

Edit: thread 1665335 includes a quote from Monolith which clarifies that spell casting costs are not affected by hindering.

chimplips wrote:
Regarding items, some of them in the first scenario are shields and weapons. Are those also one-time use, like the grenade and life potion? Thanks! Hoping the new rulebooks clear these things up as well.

All items can be used as often as you like unless stated otherwise. The Life Potion is mentioned in the rulebook as being single-use (Heroes' Book, page 18). Unfortunately, the Exploding Orb is not explicitly single-use, but many have wisely argued that "it explodes, ergo it goes away after use."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
chimplips wrote:

As this topic has been flogged until dead and then flogged again, I guess people got confused as to your question.
3 gems to move 2 spaces is correct, but not due to hindering as you think; the spell costs 1 gem to cast and then 1 gem for each space you move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
2. Area affect damage hits all targets in those areas, including friendly characters. I don't know if it's been ruled on but I'd assume you cannot both cast a spell and try to guard against it at the same time.

If you cast a spell like "Lightning storm" in your own area, then you are hit like all the characters in the area...and you can guard if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was mentioned in one of the other threads where the questions have been asked that the princess cannot be killed. I no longer recall which of the meany threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In scenarios with "a princess to save", the princesse usually has no armor (passive defense) and 1 life point.
First team (heroes or OL) killing her immediately lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Prueher
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is the Princess invulnerable while being carried?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
So, is the Princess invulnerable while being carried?

I would say yes if the carrying character is attacked by ranged or melee weapons (he's the only to be aimed), but no if the character is victim of an area attack or if he jumps from a wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The scenario says that Yselda counts as an object; I dont believe you use her tile.
But I also conceed that it could be yet another mistranslation/omission/ambigious phraseology/etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
It says only that the Princess "is unconscious and counts as an object with an encumbrance value of 6". For sanity's sake, i think we must assume that she's "invincible" in the context of this scenario.

Monolith stated that the princess has 1 hp. In conclusion, Hydratus cannot use his tempest where stand the princess, otherwise she'll be killed.

Source: http://www.monolithedition.com/conan/dans-les-griffes-des-pi...
Quote:
Monolith
octobre 19, 2016, 5:31
La princesse n’a effectivement pas d’armure et 1 seul point de vie. Une tempête d’éclair la tuerait et les Héros perdraient la partie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.