Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uriah Brown
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of Betrayal and was wondering if anyone knew of similar games to look into? Even just other "board-builders" would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can search for games in the "tile-laying" category if you're interested in that. If you are looking for a horror story type of game, then you'll want to look into Mansions of Madness. The first edition was one player vs. the rest, the second edition is a complete co-op with an app running the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Brown
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard good things about Mansions of Madness, but I didn't know about the edition differences! That makes me wonder which I should try picking up. Does the second edition still have the option of playing like the first edition?

I'm a bit new to browsing around BGG, been using it mostly as a collection list until very recently. I'll have to check out the category thing. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PanoramicPanda wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Betrayal and was wondering if anyone knew of similar games to look into? Even just other "board-builders" would be cool.

If you like the traitor aspect, check out games like Saboteur, Pandemic: On the Brink, Shadows Over Camelot, Room 25, Battlestar Galactica, the various Resistance games, and the various Werewolf / Mafia games.

If you like the exploration / tile-laying aspect, check out games like Mansions of Madness, Tikal, Zombie in my Pocket, Forbidden Desert, Claustrophobia, Escape: Curse of the Temple, Robinson Crusoe, and Zombies!!! (Note that these games vary wildly in other ways.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Brown
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What an excellent list of recommendations, I shall have to look into these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tile-laying + co-op + horror theme - traitor = Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to second Mansions of Madness 2nd edition. I kept thinking of how similar it felt to Betrayal while having a much smoother story experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mb
There is no one game that is clearly an analogue of Betrayal, unfortunately. However, there are several games that have some of the same elements.

The aforementioned Mansions of Madness is a game where a mansion is constructed (not randomly) out of tiles, is a horror game, and has RPG-ish gameplay. I haven't played it yet, but I'm very enthused for 2nd Edition, which has received great reviews. I don't like the idea of pseudo-RPG boardgames that have 1vsMany gameplay; seems like I should just play an RPG at that point. Having an app run the game and letting us play co-op makes 2nd Edition much more attractive to me.

Another poster mentioned Battlestar Galactica. A similar choice (with shorter playing time) would be Dead of Winter or its stand-alone expansion. It features the possibility of a hidden traitor along with random events that tell small stories, which to me is reminiscent of the cards in Betrayal.

Also mentioned for the random tile-laying to construct the board similarity were the D&D boardgames starting with Castle Ravenloft. I own that one and Wrath of Ashardalon. Personally, I feel like they scratch a completely different itch than Betrayal does. If I am looking for a self-contained dungeon dive where we just want to smite some skeletons for an hour or two, these games do that. They don't recreate the insanity and story-telling that I get out of Betrayal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if it's the story-telling in Betrayal you like, look into Tales of the Arabian Nights or Above and Below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Brown
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so looking at the games and what my specific interests are, it seems these are the ones getting homes on my wishlists. Thank you for all the suggestions everyone!

- Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
- Shadows over Camelot
- Escape: The Curse of the Temple
- Claustrophobia
- Forbidden Desert
- Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
- Above and Below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
People have mention Mansions of Madness a bunch and I'd agree it has a similar feel to Betrayal in some ways.

The differences though are pretty meaningful. The core box is around $100 and only allows you to play 4 quests. The quests drag on taking several hours to complete and each $40 expansion only gets you 1 additional quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar board-building and players turning against each other game is Dungeon Run. Hard to get hold of these days though as OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.