15 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: War/Strategy Game suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a good war/strategy type game. The criteria though has to be fantasy/sci-fi. I'm not really into the world history type war games. Has to be medium to light heavy complexity, and not dry. That said I did some research and found these ones that seem interesting and looks fun. If you have other suggestions or which of the three seems to be the better one would be appreciated.

1. Cry Havoc
2. Battle Lore
3. Runewars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there, welcome to this wonderful website.

Now, each has its own pet game, but I'd say that:

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony - great weuro, which I learned to love more as I played.

War of the Ring (second edition) - not truly on the light side, but probably one of the best two player fantasy wargames out there.

Space Empires: 4X - if you're more into space and you like hidden information, fog of war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:

War of the Ring (second edition) - not truly on the light side, but probably one of the best two player fantasy wargames out there.

True, but good luck finding a copy at a decent price. Maybe they'll reprint it someday.

As an alternative, The Battle of Five Armies which is a similar theme (smaller in scale) by the same designers and published by the same company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
tylergingrich wrote:
Gorgoneion wrote:

True, but good luck finding a copy at a decent price. Maybe they'll reprint it someday.

As an alternative, The Battle of Five Armies which is a similar theme (smaller in scale) by the same designers and published by the same company.

War of the Ring is an excellent suggestion. No other game that I know melds theme and mechanics so elegantly. I think a reprint is in the works (http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products), but not sure what the actual timelines are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb

You can pick up an old copy of Avalon Hill's Starship Troopers for a great price on the BGG market. Good game with lots of scenarios.

Starship Troopers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can comment on at least two of the games on your list:

BattleLore (Second Edition) and Runewars are very different games, but both quite good. The significant differences between them:

Scale: Battlelore is a tactical game, focused on resolving single battles with independent units of troops. It's all about maneuver and contact. Runewars is a strategic game, focused on large movements of troops over long timescales. A single hex in Battlelore is only a hundred yards of ground or so, and a turn represents maybe 30 minutes. A Runewars hex is dozens of square miles, and a turn represents a season. This is the primary difference between them.

Battlelore is less complex than Runewars. The use of units is relatively straightforward in Battlelore, and the card system tends to constrain choices. Runewars has a great many more moving parts to the game: There are systems for production, resolving combat, questing, and more. Battlelore is easier to keep track of.

Time: You can knock off a short game of Battlelore in a couple hours. A game of Runewars takes at least six, and maybe as many as ten.

Scenarios: Battlelore makes heavy use of scenarios, and that provides for "programmed instruction", where you layer on complexity as you learn the game. Runewars does not, and instead relies on a reconfigurable board. This also makes the learning curve for Battlelore much gentler.

Player count: Battlelore is a 2-player game. Runewars plays 2-4, and while it plays fine with 2, it's much more fun as the player count goes up.

I hope that helps provide you some differences between them, and helps you further identify what you're looking for in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played a decent amount of Cry Havoc this weekend. There are balance issues amongst the factions. One of my favourite reviewers had this to say about the game.

If you find a copy of Space Empires: 4X, let me know. I've been trying to find a copy for a long while now.

Another game to check out is Exodus: Proxima Centauri. It's all about expanding your fleet and exterminating everyone around you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to check out Star Wars: Rebellion

Excellent wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
I was looking into Star Wars Rebellion, looks very interesting and thematic. Has lots of good reviews and such, but the price point is what's deterring me from getting it. Is it really worth the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
rathmax wrote:
I was looking into Star Wars Rebellion, looks very interesting and thematic. Has lots of good reviews and such, but the price point is what's deterring me from getting it. Is it really worth the money.

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse could interest you, blends 4x and euro mechanics with ship battle dice-chucking; best with 4+ players. Out of War of the Ring, Eclipse, and Rebellion, I would say War of the Ring gives the most 'war' feeling. Eclipse can be more about careful expansion (but it depends), and Rebellion is more about cat-and-mouse and scoring key points with handfuls of troops than mass troop movements. That said, a key part of War of the Ring is the Fellowship getting the ring to Mordor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

and War of the Ring 2nd edition are two of the most epic of that genre
War of the Ring 2nd can play up to four and takes one day. Twilight will play six and takes a weekend. When my adult kids get together we still talk of some of those epic weekends up to ten years ago at conventions and playing home with family of these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Runewars. It is one of my favorite games. Battlelore is but I prefer Battles of Westeros as it takes Battlelore and makes some nice changes. I do like Battlelore for the fantasy figs especially the giant spider!

In the sci-fi era, Talon is a fun game and has a couple of other games associated with it. The one for mentioned is a ship battle game and a blast where as the other in the series are more 4x games.

Eclipse has also been mentioned and is a very good game. If your willing to dive into a classic, try Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). I have been playing that game since the first edition and it is always a fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Battles of Westeros, a great multiplayer game which should fit your criterion would be:
The Game of Thrones boardgame (2nd Edition).

One of my students thinks this is a complex boardgame, but I have found it to be a good gateway game. So, go figure.

I was also going to recommend Starship Troopers (the original, not the movie edition done later), but Osprey beat me to it. That programmed learning rulebook makes it easy to add rules scenario-by-scenario, but I suggest that when you deal with the Arachnids in Scenario 2 (Bugs, Mr. Ricco, millions of 'em!) that the more experienced gamer draw the hidden map. It's very cool, but it can be nerve-wracking to a less-experienced gamer.

If you want something more complex, the old SPI Starforce game or GDW's Belter would work. I think drivethruRPG (of all places) has a print and play of Belter (mining and fighting in the asteroid belt).

And here's an off-the wall suggestion, the old TSR Star Frontiers RPG had a supplement called Space Knights which featured a hex-based map, scenarios and rules for miniature battles (although it used counters for the minis). I think someone is doing a print and play of that in PDF form, but I am not sure of the legality since WotC would theoretically hold the rights, but doesn't seem inclined to protect them. It wasn't a big hit for TSR and I doubt that Hasbro would want to do anything with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
Already made my decision and got star wars rebellion. Awesome game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.