Subject: Not many battles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Beller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
So, just got this, went through the tutorial, read the rulebook, and now in a 4 player game solo.

I have noticed something. There doesn't seem to be many battles. Quite a few skirmishes, yes. But battles seem to be few and far in-between.

Is that normal? By design?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's normal. Fighting a lot of battles isn't usually good for the British or the Patriots. I think in my last game there were three major battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my last battle as the Patriots attacking, I'm kind of hoping there aren't too many more battles in the game. Your experience may vary. But, I had a significant advantage in quality and armies and yet still lost the battle. yuk

I can't speak officially, but declaring a battle can definitely be a double-edged sword so it seems an intentional design element to discourage them from being a major emphasis of the game.

Perhaps the lesson is: if you're going to battle, make sure you can't lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mynnotaur wrote:
So, just got this, went through the tutorial, read the rulebook, and now in a 4 player game solo.

I have noticed something. There doesn't seem to be many battles. Quite a few skirmishes, yes. But battles seem to be few and far in-between.

Is that normal? By design?

Chris

Hey Chris

My mind set is I am simulating the conflict - not the battles. As a result you see the activity track the conflict at the highest level. The war covers 8 years and large battles or campaigns were not frequent.

If you think about an average of 10 event cards per year or campaign, one Battle Command in such a massive space as a Colony covers more than one clash of arms. It is a series of large and small unit encounters over a period of time.

Howe's Philadelphia Campaign cover the following clashes in roughly a month:

Brandywine
Battle of the Clouds
Paoli Massacre
Valley Forge
Philadelphia
and Germantown

From the Design Notes in the Playbook:

"The 25 costliest battles totaled 7,696 Patriots killed and wounded, which accounts for 50 percent of all Americans killed and wounded during the entire eight-year war (using Peckham, the toll of independence, Americans killed/wounded war total of 15,415, not to mention some 11,000 prisoners who died aboard British prison ships). The other 50 percent, or 7,719 Patriots, were killed and wounded during the remaining 1,524 military and naval engagements. In game terms, that means that an extraordinarily large percentage of the clashes during the war were
small and frequent, and thus multiple such events are included in a Battle Command."

My view is that as wargamers we have to retrain ourselves if we want to simulate conflict in a broader sense. We love the battles but if we are going to simulate the entire conflict including political alignment, inter-factional coordination (or not), economics and control we must accept that battles are only a component.

Let us know how it goes.

HB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based upon my learning curve so far, the possibility of battle factors into the tactical movement on the board. The positive or negative thought of your faction engaging in a battle is what may prompt marches into and out of spaces - or, at least, add tension to the game play. I love the cleaver way that battle, in general, is used and how the victory is determined! Really enjoying this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
Based upon my learning curve so far, the possibility of battle factors into the tactical movement on the board. The positive or negative thought of your faction engaging in a battle is what may prompt marches into and out of spaces - or, at least, add tension to the game play. I love the cleaver way that battle, in general, is used and how the victory is determined! Really enjoying this game!

Thanks for the kind words Bob - glad it is working for you.

HB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.