Support:

Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have two nephews (2nd + 1st grade). We play a lot of games together (HeroQuest, Mice & Mystics, Broom Service, King of Tokyo among others). They do well with moderately complex games.

At their school they randomly have a copy Age of Mythology: The Boardgame, which they say they only like for all the miniatures. They don't have much interest in playing that particular one since it's a bit of a long and overly complex affair...

Anyway, their mom asked for some ideas of other games that feature mythological or fantastical stuff that has a bunch of miniatures but might also be a game that I could help them play to some extent. Mainly, I'm looking for a game that doesn't take 3 hours to play. If it was around 90 minutes that could be manageable. $50-60 price range (will be a xmas gift).

Here's some ideas:

Cyclades - I own this, so could feel them out on it. Lots of miniatures + mythical monsters. I think they could handle the rules with some coaching. Greek myth theme.

Kemet - Haven't played this one, but have heard good things about it. How's the complexity compared to Cyclades? Egyptian theme.

Blood Rage - Obviously doing well in the rankings. Haven't played it myself. Viking/Nordic theme.

Maybe just get Age of Mythology second hand?

Any other games I should be looking at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellow Shoes
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171630/drakon-fourth-edi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonSaastad wrote:

I own an earlier edition of Drakkon. Haven't tried playing it. But it really doesn't have the volume of plastic miniatures I'm looking for. Kids are looking for a big sweeping, epic thing with LOTS of miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Henderson
United States
Northport
Alabama
flag msg tools
Nexus Ops
Nexus ops immediately came to mind. There are better games out there, but given the parameters you mentioned I think this is a great one. My 8 year old son loves it, and 2 of my nephew's asked for it for Christmas after we played at their house last year. I guess it is really sci Fi rather than fantasy, so that may be the one box it doesn't check.

The other direction I thought about was a dungeon crawl type game or a tactical game with minis. You mentioned mice and mystics, but maybe the D&D games (Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas DeWolf
United States
macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked into the D&D system games? Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, etc.

Nick

edit: didnt read fully, but I second the D&D games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not a miniatures game? It seems that's what they want to play anyways:

HeroClix
Dungeon Command: Tyranny of Goblins

... there are a ton. Many are defunct (like Dreamblade) and can be had for pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World would've been a good choice too, except for the whole GW / FF thing falling apart.

How about...

Risk: Godstorm ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nomad001 wrote:
Why not a miniatures game? It seems that's what they want to play anyways:

HeroClix
Dungeon Command: Tyranny of Goblins

... there are a ton. Many are defunct (like Dreamblade) and can be had for pretty cheap.

I have BOXES of old warhammer 40,000 armies, books, etc. stashed away in the basement, waiting for it's time to rise again. I'm going to wait a few more years on that stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars might be an option to. I'll take a look at the rules. It's a bigger/longer game, but we could maybe make some shorter versions of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Kemet - Haven't played this one, but have heard good things about it. How's the complexity compared to Cyclades?

I think the rules have about the same complexity, but the sheer number of different special abilities can be overwhelming even for a group of adult gamers.

Quote:
Blood Rage - Obviously doing well in the rankings. Haven't played it myself. Viking/Nordic theme.

This is an excellent choice, but it's more expensive than the others. The miniatures are much more impressive, though, and I think it's well worth the price.

Quote:
Maybe just get Age of Mythology second hand?

Not really a very good game, and the miniatures are tiny.

Quote:
Any other games I should be looking at?

I second Nexus Ops and the D&D boardgames.

Quote:
Runewars might be an option to.

It's more complex than all the other games mentioned so far, even Age of Mythology. You have much better choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Frostgrave? It's a 'proper' tabletop miniatures game in that you don't buy a boxed set, you literally build up a collection of miniatures and need terrain, but you don't need many miniatures and it's pretty simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Arena of the planeswalkers is the cheapest miniatures skirmish game I know about. As long as they can read and comprehend the cards they should be ok. They actually could even play without the cards and just use the abilities of the minis for awhile if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.