5,784 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.4% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Thief Mnemonic

Texas
msg tools
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my foam board design for Betrayal at the House on the Hill. I have both the second edition core game and Widow's Walk expansion organized and safely nestled within the core box. The design is such that you can store the game vertically with very minimal affect to the organization.

Goals:
1. Fits in original box
2. No baggies!
3. Everything is accessible during gameplay. No storage only boxes.
4. Try to keep things in their place during transit, or vertical storage.

First glimpse is with the box lid removed. You can see about half of the top tray. All books are placed on top.

After removing the books, and now you can see the entirety of the top tray/lid. This tray holds all player minis and stat cards since that is likely the first thing you need when setting up a game. This tray is also oddly shaped because it serves as a lid for all trays underneath.

Removing that tray shows the three smaller trays underneath. The top tray was designed to carefully fit and hold all the underlying components safely in their place.

Here are the two card shoes. The item/events/omen cards are divided and stored at a diagonal slant so everything remains easily accessible. The room tiles are also ready to play and easy to see which floor each tile belongs to.

Final tray for all remaining tokens. There is a special vertical slot used to store the haunt meter and all the starting rooms. When placed in the box, this slot fits on the outer edge to maximize the room I have for the other trays. The very top tray acts as a "lid" to this tray as well.

Hope that helps others with some ideas. This was a pretty easy build, and it all fits easily in the original box. The biggest problems I had with the build was:
1. The room tiles when stacked vertically are almost as tall as the entire box. They will barely fit with 1 layer of foam board underneath, so I went with the angled design which turnout out to be easier than I thought it would be.
2. The books are very wide and were challenging to find a perfect spot to store them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lovely!

So where do you buy this foamcore stuff, what are you cutting it with, and are you gluing it together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thief Mnemonic

Texas
msg tools
You can buy the foam board from any craft or hobby store. Elmer's is the typical brand I see. I have also seen it for sale in some larger grocery stores like Albertson's or even Walmart.

I cut it with a Xacto hobby knife. It takes a steady hand and a metal ruler (and practice) to get good straight cuts.

Glue is simply Elmer's wood glue. I use some small pins to hold everything in place until it dries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doom 18
Spain
Can Pastilla
Illes Balears
flag msg tools
¡¡¡A por el próximo!!!
badge
¡Ouch!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the expansion´s box as big as the base game? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Berman
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No I would say its about half as deep as the base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doom 18
Spain
Can Pastilla
Illes Balears
flag msg tools
¡¡¡A por el próximo!!!
badge
¡Ouch!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hines
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm afraid the DEFLECTOR Shield is..... Operational!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Really like the slanted and separate holders. I have the tokens from the base game in pill boxes. I'll have to see if I can use your ideas and make it work where I can keep the pill boxes. You inspired me to try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Went to Joann Fabrics today to try to find the foam core stuff.

They didn't have it!

Will have to try Michael's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Qureshi
Pakistan
Karachi
South Carolina
flag msg tools
"Thief Mnemonic"

this is amazing, I just bought the game and the expansion, do you think you could post schematics/dimensions for your insert I would love to make one like it for myself too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thief Mnemonic

Texas
msg tools
Sorry I don't have any measurements or blueprints to share as I completely built this on the fly. It's actually pretty easy to do so, but it will take 20-30 minutes each night for about a week. I basically just kept test fitting things, and trying to think of a logical way to organize everything. As it stands now, the items come out of the box pretty much in order of use so that's pretty handy. I can take more photos though and take some measurements to help, but the best advice with foam core is never be afraid to scrap/start over. It's pretty cheap stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alright, I finally did a foam core project, for Bloodborne, the Card Game, since it wouldn't fit back into the box with the cards sleeved.

I'm pretty proud of what I did, but I think I need to buy a better foam core next time..

They didn't have it at Joann Fabric, or Lowes, but they did have it at Staples... However, it's just a thin white styrofoam board with paper on the sides. So when cut, it's white inside, and it doesn't cut very clean.

That said, it's good enough, the carpenter glue worked great, and it's solid.. Love it.

If I may ask, where did you get your foam core boards at?

Just wondering if I've got the ideal stuff here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thief Mnemonic

Texas
msg tools
The brand I use is Elmers, same company that is known for the white glue. I got it at a local store called Michaels.

http://www.michaels.com/elmers-black-foam-boards-16x20/10308...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I'll definitely pick some up there when I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Qureshi
Pakistan
Karachi
South Carolina
flag msg tools
yeah its pretty cheap, i built my Dead of witner insert by hit and tril, its not the best insert but just thought if I could get the measurements it would sawve me a lot of time heheh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.