Subject: Games that you love but rarely get played....ugh! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any games that you absolutely LOVE to play but can never seem to get them to the table for "whatever" reason?

Mine are:
Power Grid
Bruges
Ra: The Dice Game
Stone Age

Although just recently I guilted my step son & step son-in-law to playing Power Grid (they liked it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Wiraqocha, I always bring it when I go to my friend's place or our local store for gaming night, and I always have it on my pile of games for the night at my place, and I think I have played it twice with more people than just me and my girlfriend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization (too long for most game evenings now)
Kingmaker (ditto)
Car wars (ditto, well I have not played it in so long I may not love it anymore).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Car wars (ditto, well I have not played it in so long I may not love it anymore).

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex: Final Days of an Empire is my favorite game that I never get to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tigris & Euphrates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnostica is possibly my very favorite tabletop game. I had a monthly group organized around it for a while. I've moved since and don't have anyone near me now who seems interested.

Kingdom Builder seems like it should be easy to get played, but I've only played once in the last year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Champlin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia is a game that I love but I only get it to the table a handful a times each year. I bring it every couple of months to my game night and usually end up teaching it to whoever wants to play. My primary game group falls in the "cult of the new" crowd so it is tough to get a repeat player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express, one of the least played games in my collection due to my husband not being a fan (most of my plays are online).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution. One guy in the group lost at it all three times and refuses to play again (not sure how much the losing contributed, but definitely somewhat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Kingdom Builder seems like it should be easy to get played, but I've only played once in the last year!

This should've made my list.....I never get to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid and Brass. Lack of 2-player is the main culprit, so I am hoping Brass will get played more now that I have the 2-player map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (second edition) - Given its length, I seem to get this played once a year, as a favour, for Mother's Day or my birthday or something like that.

Quartermaster General - Enjoy playing this with my daughter, but since she is all grown up and not living with me, and my "favour" game tends to be Fury of Dracula (see above), this doesn't get played enough. Husband doesn't like it at all.

Taluva - I love this game. Don't know anyone else who does who's easily available for me to game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kahuna
Fury of Dracula (third edition)
The Resistance

are ones that I'm conscious of not having played enough lately.

I think what they all have in common is that they're "masked" by other games. Every time Kahuna comes up, we tend to end up playing Targi, Lost Cities (just bought another copy after lend-giving mine away) or something abstract like Hive or Eko. FoD gets masked by Escape from the Aliens and Specter Ops (neither of which are as good, IMO, but they are shorter / more social in some sense). The Resistance tends to get masked by Spyfall and Deception. In all cases, the 'masking' games are less fiddly / more simple, but I feel like they all lack something present in the games they're blocking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor03 wrote:
Evolution. One guy in the group lost at it all three times and refuses to play again (not sure how much the losing contributed, but definitely somewhat).

ugh, that's awful, especially for such an amazing game

Mice & Mystics: i LOVE it, but i don't really like playing it solo as there's so much setup time and packing away time, and i can't find people who want to play

Escape: The Curse of the Temple: everyone i've played this with has said 'ok, let's try one more time' after playing the very first time and losing, followed by 'that was way too stressful, let's never do that again'
and it's not at all fun solo for me, and i've bought a whole bunch of the expansion tiles. i've played it maybe 6 times total with other people.

Steampunk Rally: was playing this with a group of people who really loved it, but one person just could not grasp the game at all, so it was played less and less (and now i don't have a playgroup at all at the moment, so i suppose any multiplayer game could go on this list)

The Resistance: Avalon: had a playgroup a couple of years ago of people who have actually all moved out of the country, but before that happened, conspired to cheat in this game and kind of ruined it for me. i haven't played it since (but i did play the base Resistance a couple of times last year)

Android: Netrunner: haven't played in months cos my meta's kind of slowly been dying all year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent example comes to mind:

Roll for the Galaxy

I really enjoy it but most of the time I try it with people it just bombs. I'm scared to try again and may just sell the thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ALL of my TIME CONSUMING games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass
Civilization
Tzolk'n
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization

To name a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker and Space Alert. cry

I guess chaotic fast space survival is not for everyone. Only for the very best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Overbay
United States
Frankfort
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium 3 Only able to get this to the table about once a year sadly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year 60% of my plays were for new to me games. This year I am on pace to beat the number of new to me games by 20+. I'm not sure on the percentage, but it feels close. I figure by default at some point I have to start getting more replays in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
msg tools
I have a few.

Ravens of Thri Sahashri - a complex and completely non-social 2-player game, so hard for me to get to the table

Mysterium really requires mood and a group that will be okay with downtime, so while people are typically willing to play it, I only bring it out when the group feels right.

Gloom is my favorite of the games that I never get to play. It is super-fun, but the moment you tell people it involves story-telling, well, that's just terrifying.

Catan Traders & Barbarians a bit of cheating because it's an expansion, but my problem is that I am typically only able to play Catan with people who are totally new to board games. Adding more complexity makes the game too complex for them. On the other hand, experienced players would rather play something other than Catan, so this expansion never gets used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
msg tools
Baseball Highlights: 2045 - "I don't really like baseball"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Case
msg tools
It's been a long time since I've played Die Macher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.