Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say:

"The raiding units must be able to trace a path free of enemy units
and eZOC to the target hex (but without actually moving the
raiding units)."

Assumption 1:

It seems like the units in the target hex do not actually exert a ZOC for this path tracing, otherwise a night raid path could never reach the target hex. (It is obvious that night raids are supposed to be possible).

Pajari can raid the Soviet 2/1/609 (in hex Q9) company here, even if the company is surrounded by its own ZOCs, lets say the last hex before the target hex is P9, NW of target.

Assumption 2:

Other enemy units do have ZOCs which stop the night raid path tracing.

Here, Pajari cannot trace a path even adjacent to 2/1/609 because of the enemy ZOCs:

Question 1:

What happens in the case of overlapping ZOCs, other units (ZOCs stop the raid) and the target (ZOC does not stop the raid)?

Here Pajari could trace path to hex P7, by going to through O9 (SW of P7), but P7 would still contain a ZOC of 3/1/364.

Would the raid be stopped because it cannot enter P7, blocked by 3/1/364?
(I assume raid is not possible).

Question 2:

What about target hex itself being under an eZOC from an adjacent enemy?

Here 3/1/364 exerts ZOC to Q9, can Pajari raid the 2/1/609?
(I assume raid is possible).

If I am correct in my assumptions, then, would a clarification to the path tracing rule be "Units in the target hex, eZOCs in the target hex and eZOCs caused by units in the target hex do not count against the path tracing."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this a while back. It answers number 1.

Quote:
Ignore eZOC in the hex adjacent to the target.

At the tail end of this thread.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/14030524#14030524
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I don't know the answer to the second one.

Good to see you in yet another forum Petri.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for pointing that out.

So, basically it is "like an Assault, but cheaper". And not like the rules say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right. The designer pops in from time to time. He will let us know if we are wrong on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The rules say:

"The raiding units must be able to trace a path free of enemy units
and eZOC to the target hex (but without actually moving the
raiding units)."

Assumption 1:

It seems like the units in the target hex do not actually exert a ZOC for this path tracing, otherwise a night raid path could never reach the target hex. (It is obvious that night raids are supposed to be possible).

Correct. During a raid, you still attack from an adjacent hex, just like you do in a Combat or Assault. You don't attack the hex from within the hex.

Quote:
Pajari can raid the Soviet 2/1/609 (in hex Q9) company here, even if the company is surrounded by its own ZOCs, lets say the last hex before the target hex is P9, NW of target.

Correct. Combat units are always surrounded by their own ZOC.

Quote:
Assumption 2:

Other enemy units do have ZOCs which stop the night raid path tracing.

Here, Pajari cannot trace a path even adjacent to 2/1/609 because of the enemy ZOCs:

Correct. That's what is meant by "The raiding units must be able to trace a path free of enemy units and eZOC to the target hex..."

Quote:
Question 1:

What happens in the case of overlapping ZOCs, other units (ZOCs stop the raid) and the target (ZOC does not stop the raid)?

I'm not sure I follow the question. It sounds like three questions. But I'll try to cover all bases. Overlapping ZOCs don't matter. A hex either contains a ZOC (meaning: one or more) or it doesn't. The target unit's ZOC doesn't matter, nor do other units' ZOCs in the final destination hex (the hex adjacent to the target from which the raid is launched) but any other ZOCs along the route do prevent the raid.

Incidentally, the reason that eZOC doesn't matter in the destination hex is because you've already reached your destination. The purpose of eZOC to is halt movement, but if movement is halted at your destination, it doesn't really matter. So the fact that you ignore eZOC in the hex adjacent to your target isn't really an exception to any rule so much as just an irrelevant situation. You halt there, but you don't really care since you are now in position to conduct your Combat/Assault/Night Raid.

Where Night Raids differ from Combats and Assaults is that you don't actually move your unit(s). After resolving the raid, you don't remain in the hex from which you attacked, or advance in to the vacated hex. You "teleport" back to your original position(s).

Quote:
Here Pajari could trace path to hex P7, by going to through O9 (SW of P7), but P7 would still contain a ZOC of 3/1/364.

Would the raid be stopped because it cannot enter P7, blocked by 3/1/364?
(I assume raid is not possible).

Correct. This raid cannot take place because the only path is blocked by an eZOC.

Quote:
Question 2:

What about target hex itself being under an eZOC from an adjacent enemy?

Here 3/1/364 exerts ZOC to Q9, can Pajari raid the 2/1/609?
(I assume raid is possible).

Yes, the raid is possible. The only eZOC along the route is projected into your final destination hex (the hex from which the raid is launched).

Quote:
If I am correct in my assumptions, then, would a clarification to the path tracing rule be "Units in the target hex, eZOCs in the target hex and eZOCs caused by units in the target hex do not count against the path tracing."

I don't think that's accurate. A more accurate and thorough wording might be, "The raiding units must be able to trace a path free of enemy units and eZOC to the target hex, excepting any eZOC (from the target unit or other units) in the hex from which the raid is launched (and without actually moving the raiding units)."

Does that answer all your questions? If not, just let me know and I'll try again.

Good luck! And happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.