Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Monster Ratio rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Was just wondering, if I was to only ever play 2 or 3 player, what are ratios of monsters spawned? For example, if I was playing a 3 player game would I ever see 2 star spawn or 4 deep ones on the board or is this just not possible?

For that matter, what's the most number of monsters you've seen on the board at any one time, and how many pop up on average during a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That highly depends on the scenario. However, as it seems to me, the amount of monsters does not change with player count. Rather, their hitpoints are increased or decreased as a balancing mechanism. I havent seen 2 star spawns at the same time myself yet, but I have seen 4 deep ones at the same time.

I think that was with 2 players even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vardaine wrote:
That highly depends on the scenario. However, as it seems to me, the amount of monsters does not change with player count. Rather, their hitpoints are increased or decreased as a balancing mechanism. I havent seen 2 star spawns at the same time myself yet, but I have seen 4 deep ones at the same time.

I think that was with 2 players even.

Oh right, interesting. Thanks for the response, that helps a lot. So you have no idea what their hitpoints are until you've killed them? Doesn't that make strategy go completely out the window as you're basically playing blind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you know. The app tells you exactly how many hitpoints they have. But if you are facing a deep one with 2 players it healthy could be 4, for instance. While it could be double that amount when playing with 4 or 5 players. But you know it when you see them.

Also, the amount of monsters and the type of monsters varies per scenario but also within scenarios. This means that you might see fewer but stronger monsters during a second playthrough of the same scenario, for instance. Some scenarios are very light on monsters and rely on other mechanisms to drive you insane...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are able to click on the Monster in the app and see it's hit points. It varies on player count but is always the same for that number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vardaine wrote:
No, you know. The app tells you exactly how many hitpoints they have. But if you are facing a deep one with 2 players it healthy could be 4, for instance. While it could be double that amount when playing with 4 or 5 players. But you know it when you see them.

Also, the amount of monsters and the type of monsters varies per scenario but also within scenarios. This means that you might see fewer but stronger monsters during a second playthrough of the same scenario, for instance. Some scenarios are very light on monsters and rely on other mechanisms to drive you insane...

What's 'light' for this game, three or four monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
Vardaine wrote:

What's 'light' for this game, three or four monsters?

Over the course of an entire game, I'd say 3-4 monsters is light indeed. Some may include a dozen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.