Subject: fire gem strategy=big money strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Dysart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
In Dominion, the big money strategy uses a simple algorithm: if I can afford a province with money in hand buy one, otherwise buy the biggest money card I can afford. It's not necessarily a great strategy, depending on the action cards available in a particular game, but it provides a useful baseline: any winning strategy should at least be better than big money. I wonder if fire gems serve a similar purpose for Hero Realms.

Fire gems cost two gold, can be played for two gold, and sacrificed for three attack. All sixteen of them start in a separate stack in the market and if sacrified they return to that stack, so they will always be available if not owned. A possible fire gem strategy algorithm is:

- play all attack cards
- use all gold cards to buy fire gems
- play all fire gems, sacrificing them for attack, then use their gold to re-buy them

Alternately, use each fire gem to buy another one until no more are available, then sacrifice and re-buy them each time. This strategy has plenty of flaws, and avoiding the market entirely leaves out some useful cards (Death Touch and The Rot, in particular, would help a lot), but I wonder if it can serve as a useful baseline. I'm going to try a few solitaire games against a fire gem bot to see how well it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be getting significantly less faction activations as you get towards the mid-late game. You can scrap them for 3 damage, but at that point in the game, 3 damage is nothing when your opponent is putting up damage swings of 30+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hope not and basing off of Star Realms I would assume not. In Star Realms, almost all of the cards are better than the always available Exploder*. It is a situation ally viable option, but even the most newbie of players should be able to beat an Exploder only strategy.

Since Dominion is a much more strategic game, even the weakest of strategies (which big money is) will beat a player who is making it up as he goes along. Star (and Hero) Realms is much more tactical, so even the best of strategies will generally lose to a player playing the trade row and adapting to an evolving game state.

* Sadly, WWG misprinted the name as Explorer and refuse to acknowledge the error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
You'll be getting significantly less faction activations as you get towards the mid-late game. You can scrap them for 3 damage, but at that point in the game, 3 damage is nothing when your opponent is putting up damage swings of 30+.

Truth, last night person was putting up damage pools of 47 (!).

Concentrating on just the Fire Gems is going to be weak. Unless you have some ways to destroy cards in your deck, you are at most going to have the starting 10 cards + 16 cards. Which leaves a great number of cards with less than 3 attack in your hand, and even a perfect hand of Fire Gems gives you at most 15 points of attack with no opportunity to purchase guards or other defenders.

Dominion works the big money strategy by not having a player life-total as a distraction from pure money-gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Planck
Germany
flag msg tools
Fire gems are stronger than explorers were in Star Realms but a strategy to buy exclusively fire gems is still terrible. They are only useful as a way to ramp up to buy more expensive cards from the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dysart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I did try a few games against a fire gem bot, and yeah, it's not a good strategy. Its primary problem wasn't damage output, which slowly ramped up, but a lack of either healing or blocking. Once I got either of those, it was only a matter of time before I pulled ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.