Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the LoTR LCG for the last 5 years. I finally got to play my first two games of this last night. I could not for the life of me remember that I could attack unengaged enemies or enemies that were engaged with other players at my location! In my head I could only attack enemies engaged with me, because I need Ranged to help my partner, and the enemies in the staging area (i.e. unengaged but at my location) are definitely off limits.

Haha man I know we would've done a lot better if I had remembered what game I was playing. Have any other LoTR players encountered any rules hang ups like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever reason I kept forgetting that I could draw cards as an action, finding myself saying "Man I wish I had a card that would allow me to get my card draw engine going"

I didn't move during the investigation phase once because I was planning on moving during the travel phase, ha

But overall not much. There are some similarities but the rules are overall quite different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
There are some similarities but the rules are overall quite different

Agreed. It was just that one aspect of combat that's drilled into my head. And I love how it works in this game. It's so liberating that I can shoot enemies not engaged with me. I just need to remember I can do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, I've been wasting moves engaging enemies. Best strategy seems to be evade, then attack. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Chakado
France
flag msg tools
At first I was confused by the fact that I can attack enemies first, then only they get to attack me (the Enemy phase being after the Action phase).

In LotR I know that an engaged enemy will hurt me big time before I have a chance to retort. In Arkham Horror at leat I feel I have a chance !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pirate Brahm
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think it's that pesky Mythos phase happening at the beginning of the round and the drawing/adding resources at the end. I'm like, "Wait? The bad stuff happens BEFORE I get to play my cards?!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey fellow LOTR fans...

SURGE IS HERE!

and there was another card where the text was so LOTR-style...

I keep getting confused with the whole mythos-first-thing, but I think that's confusing eldritch/arkham lcg more than lotr.

Also when you fail a skill test, I feel like something negative should happen.. when it's just that, you just failed.

Flip-side: the part that reminds me every round of LOTR? "Draw from the encounter deck"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isthar wrote:

Unexpected Courage? Both the title and the flavor seem to give a nod and a wink to LOTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
I could not for the life of me remember that I could attack unengaged enemies or enemies that were engaged with other players at my location!

I dunno, the penalty for failing to hit if the enemy is engaged with someone else is nasty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
isthar wrote:

Unexpected Courage? Both the title and the flavor seem to give a nod and a wink to LOTR.

Not to mention that the picture on the Unexpected Courage card looks a great deal like a famous hobbit holding his equally famous sword.

I think the designers definitely have put these little Easter eggs all over the game.

Another one is on the Arcane Studies card. That one depicts Rick Worthy in his role as Dean Fogg in the SyFy Channel's show "The Magicians," about a hidden school for magic-sensitive college students. The IMDB entry is here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0941796/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.