9 Posts

Power Grid: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Tons of fiddly rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time and was surprised at how many fiddly rules.

The setup is already very convoluted, and there are like 100 different cases where you put the smallest or largest power plant in the bottom.

Also when you reshuffle discard of ressources you put new cards in, is that really needed for the game?

The game seems like it could have been streamlined a lot (weird thing to say for 'the card game') are all these fiddly rules really necessary? I never played power grid so that may be the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played the card game, but Power Grid has some fiddly rules with power plants. Most of the game is so smooth, but I still have to look at the rules for setting up the power plant market when we change to step 2 and especially step 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original game, the fiddliness is needed to make the game play work as well as possible. I suspect it's the same with the card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very familiar with Power Grid, and I found the rules fairly intuitive. The card game could benefit from a postcard-size summary sheet, but it isn't essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wooden
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

The setup is already very convoluted, and there are like 100 different cases where you put the smallest or largest power plant in the bottom.

Also when you reshuffle discard of ressources you put new cards in, is that really needed for the game?

The game seems like it could have been streamlined a lot (weird thing to say for 'the card game') are all these fiddly rules really necessary? I never played power grid so that may be the reason.

I can see how it may appear a little 'fiddly' if you've never played Power Grid before, but once you understand the reasoning behind the rules, I think that you'll find it easier to understand -

In order to ensure that there are a number of the higher value power plants available in the last round of the game (which is essential to ensure that the ending is tense), the largest power plants in the market at the end of each round get placed under the deck.

The smallest value power plants sometimes get removed as well (discarded, NOT put under the deck) in order to stop the market clogging up with useless plants. If a power plant is ever revealed which has a LOWER value than the plant with the 1 elektro token on it, simply discard it.

You'll soon get the hang of this, and it's actually a very clever way of ensuring that the market functions in a meaningful way.

Putting extra resource cards into the deck when you shuffle up simulates the market becoming slightly more plentiful with resources, as players increase their power plant capacity throughout the game. Again, necessary and relatively simple.

The really great thing about the game is that it gives an experience very similar to the original board game (which, remember, is relatively heavy in weight), in half the time, and with many fewer components. In order to achieve this, some of the mechanisms couldn't have been streamlined any more, or else the 'essence' of Power Grid would have been lost. Despite being a 'card game version', this is still a real meaty game!

Hope that you persevere - it's well worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

I never played power grid so that may be the reason.
I watched the Essen demo by F. Friese and he explained the game (or tried to) as if everybody knew Power Grid. That says a lot about who this game is aimed at, I don't think he could do a good job explaining it to an audience that knows nothing about the board game.

I've watched a few other videos about it and I must agree with you, a lack of experience with PG makes it very difficult to make sense of, or care about, this game with all its rules and apparent fiddliness. It feels natural (maybe even fun) only to PG players, for everybody else there's a big barrier of entry towards enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emsdad wrote:
Muemmelmann wrote:

I can see how it may appear a little 'fiddly' if you've never played Power Grid before, but once you understand the reasoning behind the rules, I think that you'll find it easier to understand -

In order to ensure that there are a number of the higher value power plants available in the last round of the game (which is essential to ensure that the ending is tense), the largest power plants in the market at the end of each round get placed under the deck.

The smallest value power plants sometimes get removed as well (discarded, NOT put under the deck) in order to stop the market clogging up with useless plants. If a power plant is ever revealed which has a LOWER value than the plant with the 1 elektro token on it, simply discard it.

You'll soon get the hang of this, and it's actually a very clever way of ensuring that the market functions in a meaningful way.

Putting extra resource cards into the deck when you shuffle up simulates the market becoming slightly more plentiful with resources, as players increase their power plant capacity throughout the game. Again, necessary and relatively simple.

The really great thing about the game is that it gives an experience very similar to the original board game (which, remember, is relatively heavy in weight), in half the time, and with many fewer components. In order to achieve this, some of the mechanisms couldn't have been streamlined any more, or else the 'essence' of Power Grid would have been lost. Despite being a 'card game version', this is still a real meaty game!

Hope that you persevere - it's well worth it!

Thanks a lot for your post. You also have to remove the lowest power plant when you shuffle ressources (why? )
And you remove the 1 power plant if it has not been bought at the end of phase one but you remove the largest at the end of phase three (why not at the same time). Maybe some kind sould will make an easy overview of what causes you to remove power plants and when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Thanks a lot for your post. You also have to remove the lowest power plant when you shuffle ressources (why? )
And you remove the 1 power plant if it has not been bought at the end of phase one but you remove the largest at the end of phase three (why not at the same time). Maybe some kind sould will make an easy overview of what causes you to remove power plants and when.

Removing the lowest power plant is so that as the game progresses and everybody's buying power increases the market isn't clogged up with old and ineffective power plants that don't generate enough power. You're limited in the number of power plants you can have at a time, so nobody wants to buy the weaker ones later on in the game as they're a waste of a power plant slot by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I never played power grid so that may be the reason.

Yes, this would be the reason.

It is Power Grid The Card Game. It is Power Grid without the map and cities converted in to card game and speaking as somebody who has played a lot of Power Grid over the years it does it very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.