5 Posts

Tanks: Panther vs Sherman» Forums » General

Subject: Just received a Starter Set: my first thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Clarke
Canada
flag msg tools
I received my copy of the TANKS Starter Set yesterday: $25 CND plus shipping from meeplemart.com

It took me about 90 minutes to put together the 15mm minis - two Shermans and a Panther. The miniature tanks are fairly easy to assemble and have some nice detailing. I don't know if I'll bother painting them: maybe just a weak brown wash to dirty them up, and maybe apply some decals.

The various cards are plastic-coated and quite nice, while the tokens and 2D terrain are good quality, 2-3mm thick cardboard. One slight issue: the Starter Set _should_ include some basic D6 dice, but my copy did not. No biggie; I have plenty of D6 already...

This morning I ran through the suggested 'learner' scenario: a Panther versus two Sherman's with smaller 75mm guns. Both of the Shermans were destroyed, while the Panther suffered serious damage. Seems okay, basic rules, fast playing. The rules are very straight-forward and simple. As I've seen some folks claim, it is very much a simpler 'X-wings' with WW2 tanks instead of space fighters.

The Starter includes stat cards for about 20 different tanks. I have some 15mm tanks for Axis & Allies Miniatures that will work great with this game, and any similar-sized tank minis will also work fine. Overall I am pleased and look forward to playing more TANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is a great game and I've been enjoying it a lot. One might say I've gone a little overboard with it as I've got quite a few tanks now and I'm working my way through getting them all painted.

About the dice, yes, there should have been some green and grey dice in the box. If it was a big deal, I'm sure you could contact GF9 for some replacements, but it sounds like it's not much of a concern to you. Or, what you could do is get a couple sets of the upgraded country specific dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Valenso wrote:
It really is a great game and I've been enjoying it a lot. One might say I've gone a little overboard with it as I've got quite a few tanks now and I'm working my way through getting them all painted.

About the dice, yes, there should have been some green and grey dice in the box. If it was a big deal, I'm sure you could contact GF9 for some replacements, but it sounds like it's not much of a concern to you. Or, what you could do is get a couple sets of the upgraded country specific dice!

I've really gone gung-ho for this game. I find the activity of putting together and painting the tank models to be extremely relaxing (painting miniatures is usually pretty stressful for me).

The starting scenario was pretty easy but ended up being quite engaging once we figured out how to maneuver the tanks and take advantage of the terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely contact GF9 about those dice. You already paid for them.

The 20 USD I spent on my starter makes it a great deal. You get your money's worth. I bought a bunch of expansion tank stoo, got my stuff a couple days ago. All that's left to do on my 4 Shermans is dullcote after a quick & dirty paint job. All it takes is a turret swap for 75/76 mm. Dying to play, maybe by next weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Hillsburgh
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have also recently bought the starter set, plus a few expansion tanks. Yes the miniatures are very impressive once assembled. I might point out that they really do look great painted up, effectively kills the plastic look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.