$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 107.64

6,691 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Rallyman» Forums » General

Subject: Best EDITION ? 3rd or 4th rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to get this game.
I read the difference (4th has more but cardboard not rubber tokens, smaller cards but a few extra, etc...)

IF getting the game and both are available new.... which one should I get?

Thanks

(ps- anyone know where I can still get a physical copy of Dirt?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
Looking to get this game.
I read the difference (4th has more but cardboard not rubber tokens, smaller cards but a few extra, etc...)

IF getting the game and both are available new.... which one should I get?

Thanks

(ps- anyone know where I can still get a physical copy of Dirt?)


Unlike some games there isn't really a best edition between the 3rd and 4th; only personal preference. I have the 4th and I'm happy with the way it looks. Others prefer the 3rd. But neither is inherently flawed and needs to be avoided.

As for dirt.... well you're mostly out of luck. You can get some of the components directly from the creators website still, but the maps are only available as PnP now. The boxed edition is long out of print (I bought the bagged version from said website when it was still around)

It's a shame. Great game that deserves more acknowledgement and support.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bean
Canada
flag msg tools
You can get both versions from rallyman.fr's Canadian distributer Levalet: http://www.levalet.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=rallyman

3rd edition: $30.00
4th edition: $45.99

I just ordered the third edition as it is $16 cheaper and has the larger cards. The only thing missing is the SISU cards but I am just going to use something else in there place.

You can also still get the larger scale Dirt boards (and regular boards) from the rallyman.fr store: http://rallyman.fr/index.php/la-boutique/vehicules-1-144 Or maybe Levalet can order those boards and the Dirt components in as well?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Bean, Wonderful price, but sadly, only in French... I'm not French 8(
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
As for dirt.... well you're mostly out of luck. You can get some of the components directly from the creators website still, but the maps are only available as PnP now. The boxed edition is long out of print (I bought the bagged version from said website when it was still around)

It's a shame. Great game that deserves more acknowledgement and support.

cry Now that I've finally obtained a copy of the main game (4th ed as it turns out), I'd love to get the expansion. Looks like a possible grail game now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bean
Canada
flag msg tools
jgb7 wrote:
Mr Bean, Wonderful price, but sadly, only in French... I'm not French 8(


No, they are both multilingual versions. I checked this before I ordered because I am not French either. Rallyman.fr only makes multilingual versions the only difference in this respect is the 4th edition is multilingual in 8 languages vs 6 in the 3rd but all have English. It is just Levalet's website that states French only for some reason.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks !

(I'm debating 3rd vs 4th of Rallyman....ahhh.... I know, personal pref)

How Different is the Artwork between 3rd and 4th ed? The extra cards in 4th can easily be proxied. I like the better components in 3rd, but fresher rules in 4th.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
Thanks !

(I'm debating 3rd vs 4th of Rallyman....ahhh.... I know, personal pref)

How Different is the Artwork between 3rd and 4th ed? The extra cards in 4th can easily be proxied. I like the better components in 3rd, but fresher rules in 4th.



If the big thing attracting you to the 4th edition is the rules, you can find a cleaned up copy in the files section here.

Rallyman - Revised English Rulebook

As an aside, the website Mr. Bean provided is the one I ordered my copy of Rallyman from as well (only I ordered the 4th edition myself). There is a flag in the top right corner of the page that will display the site in English for you.

If you like the game I suggest getting extra dice here. You can even order the SISU cards if you want. The site also has flags to display information in English. I ordered myself extra dice

http://www.rallyman.fr/index.php/la-boutique/pieces-detachee...

http://www.rallyman.fr/index.php/la-boutique/offre-classique

When browsing the site you want to look at the 1220 (1.220) range of items. The 1140 (1.140) range are for larger cars and maps. Some people like the larger car models as 1) there are more options (purely cosmetic of course) and 2) they are easier to paint.

I stuck with 1220 line because it not only matches the maps and cars for the boxed version of the game, but also takes up much less space on the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
venrondua wrote:
As for dirt.... well you're mostly out of luck. You can get some of the components directly from the creators website still, but the maps are only available as PnP now. The boxed edition is long out of print (I bought the bagged version from said website when it was still around)

It's a shame. Great game that deserves more acknowledgement and support.

cry Now that I've finally obtained a copy of the main game (4th ed as it turns out), I'd love to get the expansion. Looks like a possible grail game now.


Sadly it really is. The designer of the game is active on the boards and has said that the game didn't sell well enough to continue and no publisher (thus far) has been interested in picking up the game.

I'd be all over a Kickstarter "super" edition which included Dirt and a few little perks (engraved dice etc) however Kickstarters are hard work and shipping can be a nightmare and expensive (especially for newcomers to crowdfunding). So I can understand not having the desire to take that on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauly, thanks.
Extra dice? I'm only solo playing so I think one set is ok.
I see you can download the Dirt Maps, and order the orange dice and dials for Dirt. I don't like the idea of self-print maps though 8(

3vs4-- yeah, clean rules are nice, the extra cards are nice in 4th, but again, it's mainly just a single one-use card that can easily be proxied.

So, beyond that, I guess it's a matter of, do you like the bigger or smaller cards, do the Dashboards in 4th make a big difference over cards in 3rd, and is the artwork much improved in 4th?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
Pauly, thanks.
Extra dice? I'm only solo playing so I think one set is ok.
I see you can download the Dirt Maps, and order the orange dice and dials for Dirt. I don't like the idea of self-print maps though 8(

3vs4-- yeah, clean rules are nice, the extra cards are nice in 4th, but again, it's mainly just a single one-use card that can easily be proxied.

So, beyond that, I guess it's a matter of, do you like the bigger or smaller cards, do the Dashboards in 4th make a big difference over cards in 3rd, and is the artwork much improved in 4th?



Ah, well if you're playing solo then it's not such a big deal. IF you do happen to order from the site though I'd get a spare set, just in case. But that's sort of how my mind works sometimes.

I actually like the smaller cards. Six piles of cards at a reduced size take up less table space. But again if you're only doing solo that might not be a big deal.

I'm not sure if the dashboards makea big difference. I think they look cooler but as far as gameplay is concerned neither is flawed. It's not like some editions of a game where there is a big printing error or a defective component that makes you want to avoid it if you can. Gameplay wise they are effectively the same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have Pics to show Difference in Card Art ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The image section of a few.

4th Edition


3rd Edition


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
do the Dashboards in 4th make a big difference over cards in 3rd, and is the artwork much improved in 4th?

The 3rd/4th edition dashboards are just cards, so whichever you prefer is just up to taste. The Dirt dashboards are a functional improvement, and would make it easier to use soft tires in the base game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think im saving nearly $20 and buy 3rd edition.

AJ... yeah, thats the sad part, trying to get Dirt

$28+ +shipping for a dashboard I can't do. If I was getting the whole thing with boards, I wouldn't mind paying a decent price, but not just for a single (solo only) dashboard..... ugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
$28+ +shipping for a dashboard I can't do. If I was getting the whole thing with boards, I wouldn't mind paying a decent price, but not just for a single (solo only) dashboard..... ugh

Get all the 1/220 metal cars too!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone.... I can't get a reply from the designer here or web about getting Dirt.

I'm doing a mock-up order of the Dirt bits + PDF print for the boards, but when I get to shipping, I have the option of

Emailing
Courrier International Zone 2 world
Small Package Prio International

And there's a BIG difference between the last 2.
I understand the PDF must Email, and the others shipped.

So, what do I use?
And is Canada Zone 2 ?

Thanks

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Canada is Zone 2. The last two times I ordered from Rallyman.fr I used Courrier International Zone 2 world.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wells
msg tools
Ordered the 3rd edition plus Dirt on Sunday. Not heard anything other than the automated confirmation\invoice. Anybody else ordered recently and how quickly did your stuff get shipped? Want this in time for Xmas
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.