Subject: What the F distribution model. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
2 copies of a card per pack???? That's not even enough for 2 players. I'm supposed to buy 4 packs every month? #moneygrab

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I think they expect each player to buy their own pack (2-players = 2 packs). I have no problem buying my own pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is in business to make money. Not to make our lives easier/better/more affordable. Their success with the LCG model shows that it works and there is no reason to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the two players inexplicably decide to play characters that use the exact same classes, this just isn't true.

I guess if they release some amazing neutral card in a future expansion, this could be a problem. But currently there's little to no competition for cards.

It's not like both characters will be gun fighters, right? Won't you want to play with complimentary skills and styles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To expand on my post above, for those who haven't played the game, all the characters in the base game are allowed to use cards from 2 out of 5 classes (plus neutral cards).

So if I'm playing the federal agent, and you're playing the waitress/sorceress, we will share zero class cards. So the two copies of each cards in expansions will be all we will EVER need to play two player. There would be no reason to buy extra copies of the expansions.

The Dunwich Legacy characters take this even further. They can only take cards from one class, except for a 5 card splash from other classes. This should make it easy to play 3 or 4 players with 1 or 2 core sets and 1 copy of each expansion.

The idea that each player should buy their own personal copy of each expansion is absurd. This is not a competitive game where I'll spend hours poring over netdecks and coming to my game night ready to destroy all opponents. Deckbuilding is quick, and should easily fit into the experience of the game night.

And you only do it once for an entire campaign, with which Dunwich Legacy will last a whopping 8 scenarios.

So yeah, except for some slight card wastage with buying 2 cores, there is nothing in this distribution model that is even slightly unfair or manipulative, at least in my point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a few months when I have hundreds of cards to choose from, whatever will I do if I can't have the exact same Axe my buddy wants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
In a few months when I have hundreds of cards to choose from, whatever will I do if I can't have the exact same Axe my buddy wants?

Just axe him for it!

Sorry. I'll show myself out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
why people are not considering proxying? it's such a waste to buy multiple copies of the same product and getting redundant content when the game is not even competitive (ie. no regulation on proxy). I'd rather print a few cards than buy a ton of stuff for no reason

this is a non-issue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
To expand on my post above, for those who haven't played the game, all the characters in the base game are allowed to use cards from 2 out of 5 classes (plus neutral cards).

So if I'm playing the federal agent, and you're playing the waitress/sorceress, we will share zero class cards. So the two copies of each cards in expansions will be all we will EVER need to play two player. There would be no reason to buy extra copies of the expansions.

The Dunwich Legacy characters take this even further. They can only take cards from one class, except for a 5 card splash from other classes. This should make it easy to play 3 or 4 players with 1 or 2 core sets and 1 copy of each expansion.

The idea that each player should buy their own personal copy of each expansion is absurd. This is not a competitive game where I'll spend hours poring over netdecks and coming to my game night ready to destroy all opponents. Deckbuilding is quick, and should easily fit into the experience of the game night.

And you only do it once for an entire campaign, with which Dunwich Legacy will last a whopping 8 scenarios.

So yeah, except for some slight card wastage with buying 2 cores, there is nothing in this distribution model that is even slightly unfair or manipulative, at least in my point of view.

Huh, sounds like FFG has found an at least somewhat reasonable distribution model. Previous LCG requiring three cores had tons of waste. Not to mention, each player still had to buy each expansion deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it that for other LCGs, people expect each player to build their own deck with their own cards but for this one, so many seem to expect one person to provide all the decks and cards for all the players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
Why is it that for other LCGs, people expect each player to build their own deck with their own cards but for this one, so many seem to expect one person to provide all the decks and cards for all the players?

Probably because it's a co-op game. I do provide all the cards for my Lord of the Rings games, and was planning to with Arkham Horror as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

People equate it to a boardgame with cards. It's not. It's a lifestyle game that is marketed such that all players are best served by supplying their own cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Probably because it's a co-op game. I do provide all the cards for my Lord of the Rings games, and was planning to with Arkham Horror as well.

Not that you're one of the ones complaining, but that illustrates the point. It's been a while since I bought an Adventure Pack, but I'm pretty sure they contained three copies of each card, not twelve. And it's way easier to overlap Spheres in that game than Classes in this one (well, so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's put the cards in random booster packs with artificial rarity on the really cool cards so everyone will have to order a $100+ box of booster packs if they want a decent chance of getting one copy of that rare card they really want.

A much better distribution model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:

and do you buy two packs of everything? I will go on a limb and say no, because decks rarely share cards.

What is the difference with AH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
why people are not considering proxying? it's such a waste to buy multiple copies of the same product and getting redundant content when the game is not even competitive (ie. no regulation on proxy). I'd rather print a few cards than buy a ton of stuff for no reason

this is a non-issue

TBH i would rather spent extra to get real card than printing out proxy. The price of making a good proxy comes out to be almost the same as buying another set anyway with lower quality. Go ahead and print proxy or w/e you want, just that it will never be as good as having real cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
souloon souloon
Poland
flag msg tools
Let's put 8 copies of each card in the pack so people can complain there is only one card per class ( and one neutral) in the pack.

2 player groups can then complain that they got 20 cards they don't need and they have to pay for it.

solo players can also complain that they got 30 cards they don't need in each pack so it's not "real" solo game

achievers can complain that the choice is taken from them because they can always buy the new card with experience, so to have real choice they need to wait for the full cycle coming out first.

gimmick fans could complain there is not enough wonky cards because play cards take so much space

art fans can complain there is the same art on the each of the cards and there is 8 of them

mono class fans could complain that there is no packs just with color they wanted to buy

duo class fans could complain they couldn't still buy the dual card they want

story fans could complain there is not enough story cards in the pack

and if they release bigger packs EVERYONE can complain game is too expensive

ARKHAM LCG - the complain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Let's put the cards in random booster packs with artificial rarity on the really cool cards so everyone will have to order a $100+ box of booster packs if they want a decent chance of getting one copy of that rare card they really want.

A much better distribution model.

While I found the post funny (I did thumb it ), this is exactly the kind of reasoning that stagnates progress. Just because we've moved to torch lamps, from bonfires, doesn't mean we're wrong to aspire for flashlights -- and then sarcastically say, "well bonfires are so much better.."

We should always challenge companies to do better, and not be content "just because". The general uproar and dissatisfaction on random boosters eventually led to its demise. So why not have a smart discussion also on how the FFG distribution model can still be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But... If they put twice the number of cards in each pack it would just cost ~twice as much? You're not going to save money!

Plus it would shaft groups like ours where everyone has a full collection and builds their own deck. What am I gonna do with 4 copies of each card when I only need 2 for a deck?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
LCGs are very expensive, no way around it. I'm used to buying all the board games + expansions for my group, but for this one I told 'm we all need to chip in if we're going to keep playing it.

Also, for some weird reason, LCGs from FFG are more expensive over here (Europe) than their other games. I normally pay the dollar list price in euros for something like Eldritch Horror, but for LCGs the euro price is actually ~15% higher than the listed dollar price, whether I buy online or at a FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
unitled wrote:
But... If they put twice the number of cards in each pack it would just cost ~twice as much?

You make it sound like we're mostly paying production costs for these games.

FFG is free to ask any amount of money they want for this game, but don't make it sound like they have no choice in the matter and that they're practically giving the games away for the cost of the plastic it's printed on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
GameMasterX0 wrote:

I have not played the game at all, just following on BGG to learn if I want to get into it. But from what I have read are some of the new investigators not going to be allowed to choose from multiple classes 0 - 2?
If this is the case does that not kind of disprove the point you were trying to make?

As for Jake and his progress to Flashlights! Amen brother! Just because we have improved does not mean we have to stop finding ways to improve. I believe that is called complacency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:
2 copies of a card per pack???? That's not even enough for 2 players. I'm supposed to buy 4 packs every month? #moneygrab

Seriously, I do not see where the problem is.

Anything above 2 copies per pack would be ridiculous.

For one, it is enough to support two players. You do not all have to use the same cards. In fact, it is likely best to use diverse classes, anyways.

Then, solo players would be really annoyed, if there were more copies in there, than you could even use.

Remember, the total amount of cards in a pack would not change. With 4 copies each, you would simply have half as many different cards. Which would be really bad.

And you still have the option to buy more packs, if you feel the need.

Calling the mythos pack composition a moneygrab is simply wrong. They are made pretty much in the most favorable way (for the average buyer).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroux13 wrote:
I have not played the game at all, just following on BGG to learn if I want to get into it. But from what I have read are some of the new investigators not going to be allowed to choose from multiple classes 0 - 2?

I think it is just level 0 and only 5 cards in total (at least for the Dunwich investigators).

Still, it is a question of what you want.

If you want every possible option for every player then every player needs two core sets and one of each expansion (per deck, if you want to go really excessive).

But, it is perfectly viable to use two core sets and one of each expansion for two players. You will have 95+% of the options for both. If you choose classes with little to no overlap, there are maybe 1 or 2 cards (especially neutral cards from expansions), which might be interesting for both players, if that much. In that case, you simply have to decide who gets them, or split them, or whatnot. It is not a problem.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
EvanMinn wrote:

But that's your choice, isn't it?

There is nothing about the game that requires it or prevents you from treating it like other LCGs where everyone brings their own deck made from their own cards, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.