9 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Discovery: Distress Signal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Bittencourt
Brazil
flag msg tools
When found, the player can ignore the signal and keep the 2VP or send a Rescue Team - place the Distress Call tile on the hex you found it, wait for the Upkeep Phase and then throw 1d6:

1-4: You found a Research Ship, a Cargo Freighter or a derelict Trade Vessel
- Add 2 Resources of your choice to your reserve and keep the tile for 1VP
- (For best results, you must justify if you choose to take two different resources - "The researchers I rescued shared their findings and some nuclear samples, so I took 1 Science and 1 Material").

5-6: It's a Trap! The distress beacon was planted on an abandoned Survival Pod by pirates, and your radars just started blinking...
- The pirates use an old Ancient Cruiser armed with Neutron Bombs. Place one Ancient Ship on the hex
- Use the rules of combat against Ancients or Ancients Hives/Invasion (RotA).

2-6: You found a Research Ship, a Cargo Freighter or a derelict Trade Vessel, or maybe the remains of a faded small civilization...
- Add 4 Resources of your choice to your reserve and keep the tile for 1VP
- (For best results, you must justify if you choose to take two different resources - "The researchers I rescued shared their findings and some nuclear samples, so I took 2 Science and 2 Material").

1: It's a Trap! The distress beacon was planted on an abandoned Survival Pod by pirates, and your radars just started blinking...
- The pirates use an old Ancient Cruiser Ship armed with Neutron Bombs. Place one Ancient Ship on the hex. If you have planets on this Hex, they will produce its resources as normal, just be quick to save your people! You have just until the next Combat Phase to regroup your fleet.
- Use the rules of combat against Ancients or Ancients Hives/Invasion (RotA).

I hope you like! I didn't playtested yet, so any feedback is appreciated.

I made some modifications thanks to your feedback. They are underlined or striked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! It reminds me very much of boarding derelict ships in Escape Velocity Nova.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indenture Forlife
msg tools
How do you determine which tile is sending the distress signal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moreau
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good idea, but why a neutron bomb ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sounds cool.

Some remarks, though:
* A single research ship, cargo freighter or trade vessel won't boost the economy of a stellar empire that much. Let's go for a planet collapse instead. You can salvage the remains for a one time bonus, but that's it.

* Taking resources and keeping the tile for 1 VP sounds kludgy. You have to take care that the tile doesn't accidentally flip back to its 2 VP bonus, or have to keep it apart from other discovery tiles that are kept for the bonus.

* The rewards are quite a bit smaller than the normal resource bonuses on discovery tiles (+8 economy, +5 science or +6 materials). You could argue that the fact that you can choose your resource merits a lower bonus, but this is very low. And on the other hand, you only have 2/3 of a chance that you will get the bonus indeed, and won't have to fight pirates. I think that those two factors balance each other out, and suggest to keep the amounts equal to the resource bonus on the standard discovery cards.
(This would mean that you cannot pick and choose for some of resource A, some of B. Or you could allow for a bonus like that other discovery tile, with (IIRC) +3 economy, +2 science and +2 materials).
I don't think that 2 resources + 1 VP is better than the 2 VP bonus if you disregard the call.

* If you roll a 5 or 6, you have a chance to score 3 VP (2 for the cruiser, 1 for the battle). Of course, if the tile appears on a hex with ancients, or at the GCDS, you already had to battle there, so you won't get that 1 VP for battle a second time.

* Keeping with the collapsing civilisation idea of point 1, the 5 or 6 result indicates an aggressive civilisation that built a military fleet to conquer a new home. The distress call is indeed fake; they want to see from where a reaction comes so that they can follow that wormhole.
This is why the ship has neutron bombs; if the player fleet is destroyed, the NPC fleet will invade the wormhole from where it originated (if the discovery fleet came to the tile by other means (black hole, wormhole generator, or something like that), the NPC fleet cannot follow and will stay in its hex).

* Does the theme hold when the discovery is discovered after a fight with the Ancients? I think that it does.

* Would it be interesting to add another option?
If you roll a 1, you found an expedition in distress. Keep the discovery tile for 2 VP (for rescuing them), and draw a new discovery tile for which you must take the discovery bonus.

* One of my long-term, never-finished projects is the uplift races idea that was posted in these forums about a year ago. Basically, there is life between the stars, and there are many civilisations that have not yet discovered interstellar travel. You can find them with discovery tiles. This distress signal discovery fits well with that theme, especially with the 'collapsing planet' variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Indenture wrote:

I expect that the suggestion is to make a new tile with this name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Bittencourt
Brazil
flag msg tools
Whymme wrote:
Sounds cool.

Some remarks, though:
* A single research ship, cargo freighter or trade vessel won't boost the economy of a stellar empire that much. Let's go for a planet collapse instead. You can salvage the remains for a one time bonus, but that's it.

I disagree! Sending a exploration team costs 1-3 money, building an Interceptor costs 2-4 Materials, and undiscovered technologies fits on a book, or thumbdrive (or even markings on stones!)! Dismanteling a planet would worth imo 9-18 material (considering the production of one planet in 9 turns). BUT this is a minor aspect, just flavor!

Quote:

* Taking resources and keeping the tile for 1 VP sounds kludgy. You have to take care that the tile doesn't accidentally flip back to its 2 VP bonus, or have to keep it apart from other discovery tiles that are kept for the bonus.

I agree, but I have to take care with the cubes, with the disks, with the ship parts... all the player board is a (brilliant) mess! I dont think that keeping one tile face up is so hard, is not like you will use it all the time.

Quote:

* The rewards are quite a bit smaller than the normal resource bonuses on discovery tiles (+8 economy, +5 science or +6 materials). You could argue that the fact that you can choose your resource merits a lower bonus, but this is very low. And on the other hand, you only have 2/3 of a chance that you will get the bonus indeed, and won't have to fight pirates. I think that those two factors balance each other out, and suggest to keep the amounts equal to the resource bonus on the standard discovery cards.
(This would mean that you cannot pick and choose for some of resource A, some of B. Or you could allow for a bonus like that other discovery tile, with (IIRC) +3 economy, +2 science and +2 materials).
I don't think that 2 resources + 1 VP is better than the 2 VP bonus if you disregard the call.

Yeah, my first tought was 1 material and 1VP, but my wife tought it was too small too! She wanted 3 materials and 1VP, so I brought to you the middle term lol! Just a matter of balancing.

How much a discovery gives?
New tech: 2-6 science + 1 action
Cruiser: 4-5 material +1/2 action
Resources: 6 material / 5 science / 8 money / 7 mixed materials
Ship parts: One time a cool tech
Warp portal: cool stuff + 2VP
Orbital: cool stuff that produces and can me converted on 5 materials and 1VP (Artifact)
Mutation/Evolution: weird stuff
Transmatter quantifier: convert 1 interceptor to Dreadnought (+5 material, no action)
Rift stuff: mess with the future and if you succeed, gain 2-3VP

Yeah, i think my wife and you are right. A 3-4 resource gain + 1VP is more like it.

Quote:

* If you roll a 5 or 6, you have a chance to score 3 VP (2 for the cruiser, 1 for the battle). Of course, if the tile appears on a hex with ancients, or at the GCDS, you already had to battle there, so you won't get that 1 VP for battle a second time.

In fact, you will see the discovery only after fighting ancients/GCDS, so it will be another fight next turn.
Reviewing the manuals, I saw I made a mistake: i didnt mean Ancient CRUISER, but ANCIENT SHIP! The little one.
Anyway, if the ancient ship appears, you can turn it to 1-4VP.

So until now:
Choose 2VP or
66% chance of 4 resources and 1VP
33% chance of 1-4 VP from Reputation + ships/planets lost if you lose.

Hmm.
I think you're right. Even 4 resources seems too little.
Lets make 4 choosable resources + 1VP or ancients appears if there is 1 on the die roll?

Quote:

* Keeping with the collapsing civilisation idea of point 1, the 5 or 6 result indicates an aggressive civilisation that built a military fleet to conquer a new home. The distress call is indeed fake; they want to see from where a reaction comes so that they can follow that wormhole.
This is why the ship has neutron bombs; if the player fleet is destroyed, the NPC fleet will invade the wormhole from where it originated (if the discovery fleet came to the tile by other means (black hole, wormhole generator, or something like that), the NPC fleet cannot follow and will stay in its hex).

They have neutron bombs because the hex they appear can have population. So, just like the Ancients in Ancient Hives (RotA), they will attack the planets if they win. But, once they invaded an Hex, they will remain stationary.

Quote:

* Does the theme hold when the discovery is discovered after a fight with the Ancients? I think that it does.

* Would it be interesting to add another option?
If you roll a 1, you found an expedition in distress. Keep the discovery tile for 2 VP (for rescuing them), and draw a new discovery tile for which you must take the discovery bonus.

* One of my long-term, never-finished projects is the uplift races idea that was posted in these forums about a year ago. Basically, there is life between the stars, and there are many civilisations that have not yet discovered interstellar travel. You can find them with discovery tiles. This distress signal discovery fits well with that theme, especially with the 'collapsing planet' variant.

Client races!
Ive read those rules, found it a little hard to implement, but loved the idea.
AAND I must say, Im your fan! Negociated Space seems awesome! My group is just maturing the SotR races and, when all players had played with all races, we will try your Political Adventure.

Thanks for your comprehensive feedback! I will change some topics on the main post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Bittencourt
Brazil
flag msg tools
Indenture wrote:

Hi!

Just place the Ancient Ship in the Hex you found the discovery!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Bittencourt
Brazil
flag msg tools
tedrak wrote:
Good idea, but why a neutron bomb ?

Hi Eric!
To pick the discovery, you have to influence the hex, and then have the oporunity to populate worlds. If the distress signal was a bait, you will put a Ancient Ship on the Hex, but the combat will only occur next turn, so you will produce with the hex and have a chance to regroup your fleet.
If you lose or retreat, the ship will atack your planets... with neutron bombs! So you better hurry... lol.

I will change some things on the main post, keep tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.