Hide
8 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Further Monkey King question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hando The one
msg tools
A follow up question to earlier Monkey King queries.

If I fire a ranged weapon at a ranged weapon monster in the hopes that I get attacked back so I can try for a crit defence and so kick in his ability to be placed close to the target monster.

Does this move avoid the surrounding (ie. close to Monkey King) reaction attack from these monsters ?

His ability is quite good btw, to jump around the board without having to physically move through squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you roll a critical on your defense roll you may place the Monkey King in a close space next to the enemy monster you just attacked (as I understand it). This does not trigger a guard reaction of the enemies close to your new location (L1).

If you attack from there with a ranged weapon, some other monster further away, all monsters close to you will attack (close to L1). If you roll a critical again you can jump next to the second monster you attack, you can jump to that space (L2).

That is definitely what will happen.

What I am not sure of, is the timing of the jump. Obviously a ranged enemy will attack you back first, and you will require a critical to be able to jump away. If you don't get a critical obviously your target and all close monsters will attack.

But if you do get a critical, I am not sure if you get to jump away before other guard reactions take place. Maybe someone else remembers a definitive answer on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Phan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmmm... Honestly when I read it, your way is how I thought his ability worked. After looking at closer inspection, I feel like his ability means he moves to a close space in relative to his own figure. Not relative to whoever attacked it. It just says close space so I would default it to a space close to Himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phan wrote:
Hmmm... Honestly when I read it, your way is how I thought his ability worked. After looking at closer inspection, I feel like his ability means he moves to a close space in relative to his own figure. Not relative to whoever attacked it. It just says close space so I would default it to a space close to Himself.

I would agree. The ability would seem to suggest a space that is close to his current space, not that of his target.

Still would like to know the answer to the question of timing. It would seem he could use his ability to avoid other guard reactions in the case he may have triggered multiple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
you would still take guard reactions per the rules. Don't see you making a case for this otherwise. how is he avoiding guard reactions?

While its true his teleport like ability would not cause a guard reaction nothing stops the enemy units around you from performing their guard reactions even if you are no longer in the original space. You simply resolve their attacks in order. If you read page 19 of guard reactions the order is Guard reactions happen after you attack an enemy unit far away. Payback reactions also happen at this same time so I guess its up to the player controlling them to pick the order but he still gets to resolve all the actions.

So basically its not the teleport that would cause or stop a guard reaction its the fact that your attacking a non-close enemy unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, thematically, what they are trying to get at is the monkey is hard to hit. He is better at deflecting hits and he moves around a lot. I could totally see him being able to avoid or eliminate attacks by jumping out of reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Phan wrote:
After looking at closer inspection, I feel like his ability means he moves to a close space in relative to his own figure. Not relative to whoever attacked it. It just says close space so I would default it to a space close to Himself.
As he seems to be based on the Monkey King of legend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_king

who has this ability ...

Quote:
He is also extremely fast, able to travel 108,000 li (21,675 kilometres (13,468 mi)) in one somersault

... it would seem that he should be able to jump where he wants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, yes the Monkey King may be placed in a Space Close to itself if his defense rolls any CRITs.

Second, since he would be placed in the new spacer as soon as he rolled his Defense to the Payback Reaction, he might be able to avoid Guard Reactions triggered by this attack. As long as the Monsters performing their Guard Reactions were no longer able to target him, because they're melee monsters and he's no longer close to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.