Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Library of Alexandria and Alchemy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone ever grab Alchemy(I) when they have a Library of Alexandria(A) under construction?

I ask because I often find myself tempted away from building the library because a +1 science boost from alchemy only costs 3r whereas +1 from the Library costs 6r. So once I have Alchemy researched, I can net +2 science total by finishing 2 Alchemies first and then finish up the Library afterwards.

Yes there's the 4 science cost of Alchemy itself, and I'd rather spend science on upgrading farms/mines/gov but sometimes that's just not in the cards, and there's nothing else to do with that science. Might as well spend it on upgrading something right?

Is it always best to wait for Sci Meth(II) or are there circumstances where this combo is acceptable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Library primarily for the increased hand limits. The culture and science are nice bonuses, and they allow me to focus on other development other than labs. I don't recall getting Alchemy with the Library too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have library, generally it's best to skip to sci method next.

But if you do managed to get an early alch lab, then you could also ride out the +5 sci til A3 computers/multimedia.

If you can get Leo, would make the setup work really well. +6 sci is enough to last to A3 and Leo gives you back extra rocks to pay off your investment. You can easily research a lot of early blue techs to keep you competitive in other areas as well as early A2 gov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do need a lot of rocks to build both, but that's the case with any Age A wonder + Alchemy, and the rocks will usually be supplied by Age A events. I might skip Alchemy if I had the Library and those rock events hadn't turned up, which is a nice option to have that isn't available for other wonders - but I don't think there are too many games where it's relevant.

Overall I don't think having the Library is a reason to ignore Alchemy though. As Jack says, not having to worry about upgrading your science again until age III takes a lot of pressure off, especially if you pick up da Vinci or Newton as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I play is that I set set a soft threshold for science, food, resource. I don't actively deny another player's chance unless it is very helpful in that situation and it does not cost me a fortune.

Since alchemy is a sought after card in my group, I usually cannot afford to take DaVinci or Alchemy because it will be very expensive (often I need to pay 2 actions to get it which I prefer to spend somewhere else)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.