Legends of Andor» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
From what I understood, Legends of Andor comes with Legends scenarios and those help to forward the narrative.

Once you have "completed" the game as in knowing the whole storyline, how is the replayability? In other words is it still fun despite knowing how things will end?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a similar question here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658893/im-considering-purc...

I decided to purchase it and Star Shield. I won't get to play it until December however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey thanks, yes I saw that thread. I felt your question was more specific to Legends than the game as the whole.

But I suppose in the end they're the same?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
From what I understood, Legends of Andor comes with Legends scenarios and those help to forward the narrative.

Once you have "completed" the game as in knowing the whole storyline, how is the replayability? In other words is it still fun despite knowing how things will end?

Many thanks!

The basic narrative concept of Andor is that it all happened a long time ago in in a galaxy far away, so nobody knows what really happened. The basic story is known but the specifics are vague. Hence the number of heroes varies, the events may vary, the number and type of creatures vary, all depending on whom you talk to about these fairy tales.
Some basic outlines are set but the rest is for the players to fill.

The whole story line from Andor I to Andor III, including the novel and the 2Player assumes you win all legends. And just sets the background
The story line of the specific game is also just for flavour and may give some broad hints.
The specific legend story is, depending on the legend, low to highly volatile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
Hey thanks, yes I saw that thread. I felt your question was more specific to Legends than the game as the whole.

But I suppose in the end they're the same?

Yes, the answers are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter vP
msg tools
In the main game there is still some replayability in the shape of different combinations and layouts. For example Legend 3 is often considered the "main game" in the fact that it is highly replayable with different opponents and quests for the characters. Standard items such as runestones and herbs are also randomly placed at different locations.

The Star Shield expansion really focusses on replayability with loads of different combinations if it really worries you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the replayability is reasonably high. It may take you a couple of times to beat each legend. And even after you have beaten a legend you may want to revisit it later. Some legends have multiple possible end bosses, variable objectives, and random monster placement. Some legends have more replayability than others, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Narrative in Andor is pretty generic. There are no twists or mysteries, so you just playing some heroic battles and you can replay if you wan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the replayability is higher than it is often given credit for. It is not a storytelling game like, for instance, T.I.M.E Stories, where the main appeal is the experience of the plot. Instead, the main appeal of Andor is solving the optimization puzzle it presents you.
Also, while the game has a cohesive narrative, it is not a campaign game. Your results in one scenario won't carry over to the next one. Think of it as a series of different scenarios, with an overarching (and rather generic) plot holding them loosely together.

The base game comes with 5 legends, or scenarios. Some of them have more, some fewer random elements, like placement of monsters and items, specific tasks for each player, or different boss monsters. Depending on these, the same scenario can feel quite different from game to game. This randomness of events is even stronger in the first expansions Star Shield and Journey to the North (haven't played Andor III yet).
Also, if you don't play with the full player count, switching heroes can also affect your strategy and how the game plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
Uncivil wrote:
Narrative in Andor is pretty generic. There are no twists or mysteries, so you just playing some heroic battles and you can replay if you wan.

I basically agree. Let’s face it, the storyline and plot in the base game Legends, and even Star Shield, is pretty thin and uninspiring. But that it not necessarily a bad thing: the game as such is very "open". As Wolfram nicely puts it, the Legends provide a basic story line and allow players to weave their own unique story as they go, to fill in the blanks depending on how the specifics of their game unfold.
So in a sense, Andor is very much a storytelling game, it's just that the story isn't served to you on a platter. It's the players who are telling the story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Narrative in Andor is pretty generic. There are no twists or mysteries

I disagree. Legends 2 and 4, at least, have twists. Legend 2 has a pretty strong narrative.

I also disagree about the replayability of legend 3, especially if you mix in the New Heroes expansion. I have played legend 3 ten times in the last month, and still want to play it more. I have Star Shield on my shelf, but am in no hurry to open it. I also haven't won legend 4 (2 tries), nor have I even attempted legend 5. I am also willing to play legend 2 from time to time, to introduce new people to the game.

At 28 plays total of Andor (including about 10 with the New Heroes), I have certainly gotten my money's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
peakhope wrote:
I also disagree about the replayability of legend 3, especially if you mix in the New Heroes expansion. I have played legend 3 ten times in the last month, and still want to play it more. I have Star Shield on my shelf, but am in no hurry to open it. I also haven't won legend 4 (2 tries), nor have I even attempted legend 5. I am also willing to play legend 2 from time to time, to introduce new people to the game.

At 28 plays total of Andor (including about 10 with the New Heroes), I have certainly gotten my money's worth.

I can agree with you to some extent. I can easily see how a LofA fan could enjoy playing any of the Legends more than once!
I like how you are waiting to savour the base game fully before cracking open your copy of the Star Shield!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricc Cenas
msg tools
There is also a fair number of fan made Legends

In fact the game incites you to create your own Legends and even your own heroes

I am willing to create a legend But first need to play more all the Legends to get a better insight of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like besides legend 1, the game as a whole is very re-playable. The Star shield of course allows for the greatest variety of replay ability. I have played the legends a lot because this is one of my favorite games and I like to switch up my character. The adventures may have the same end goal but the path to victory differs tremendously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2 legends that are designed to be replayable with random setup but a set storyline. One above ground and one below ground. Also included in the game are a set of blank legend cards for a player to create their own legend. Once you play a few times, the formula for the legends is easy to figure out, so you type up the story and "connect" it to the blank cards. You can permanently put information on the cards, but it would be easy to write a "script" on a sheet of paper and reuse the cards over and over with different scripts. There is a bit of content that is fan created also. If you want a game that you replay 3-4 times a day every weekend, you will probably get bored. But if you want a game to play 1-2 times every couple of months, Legends of Andor is a solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
... There is a bit of content that is fan created also. ...

Yes, if 100+ fan legends and ~50 fan heroes qualifies as bit. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.