39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I have discovered Pathfinder ACG approx two years ago and have since then been a fan of this games series. When Mummy's Mask came out I was in the middle of a WotR campaign, intertwined with occasional playing the first campaign RotRL. It didn't stop me from purchasing MM straight away though.

As soon as I got the game (MM) I quickly browsed through the rule book to see what's new and eagerly prepared a team of adventurers to start my first adventure, despite already being in the middle of two other campaigns from the previous sets. On could say I am a fan of the game, which I agree with.

However, after playing through the first couple of scenarios of Mummy's Mask, a thought sparkled in my mind and the more I played, the more it persisted. The repetitiveness of the game was always noticeable. Each scenario is basically the same, having the same victory conditions with a few exceptions. I was always aware of this, and it didn't bother me as much. However, when playing Mummy's Mask the monotonous repetitiveness of the game started to take its toll on me. This feeling heightened the impression that this game system may have a limited lifespan as a whole. Sure, there are minor differences between each set, which are meant to be there to keep our interest in the game. However, as a person to whom Mummy's Mask is the third set already, I am wondering how far can I go, before I will ultimately get bored with doing the same things over and over again, to the point that I will get discouraged from buying another set ? Each Box-set offers around 40-60 hrs of game-play (excluding replays with different adventurer teams etc). However besides the theme and the minor tweaks in the rules, all Pathfinder games are in essence the same, having the same mission structure and goal. The only redeeming quality is in the story, but then again, if it weren't for the fantastic Adventure Guides, which are fan made, it would be hard to understand the story from the short outlines provided on the cards (BTW Paizo, why not learn from the community and add the adventure guides to the game as a standard feature ?).

To sum up, I am a fan of the game, and it lets me turn a blind eye to certain shortcomings, like the tedious repetitiveness and lack of decision making. Given, however, the fact that each boxed set is basically the same game with just a different themed slapped on each time, I am wondering about the future of the game system. I would really welcome changes to the game-play that extend beyond the standard we've been presented with so far. I would like to have more decisions to be made in the game, more variety in the missions, a richer background story (something in vein of the Adventure Guides) to help me connect to the game.

There are many more great adventure paths to be transferred into the ACG format. I am sure Mummy's Mask won't be the last game in this system and ultimately, a newcommer to the game will have plenty of variety in themes to choose from to start their experience. From this perspective this is quite good. However, regardless of theme, there is not much else *new* that would draw one in and keep their attention at a peak. All the more, to encourage me to purchase a copy of the next adventure down the line.

Perhaps this is just an impression I am getting, having spent over 200 hrs so far playing the game. I may be wrong. I may need a short break and play some other games (which I do, but apparently I play too much Pathfinder ). I am wondering though, if I am singled out in getting this impression or are other people feeling this repetition in the box sets too ?

Please share your thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Guard
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mb
On point.

I think the "The Apocrypha Adventure Card Game" by the same designer might bring some fresh air to the ACG system but i don't think that this is what Paizo is aiming for.

Maybe the next, next Pathfinder ACG will have enough innovation (I also jumped the second ACG and could see the improvement in WotR).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't disagree with any of your points, in all honesty, but I quite like the comfort of the game. I know what to do, I love playing it solo with four heroes, and the fan-made adventure guides add quite a lot to it. Yep, it's basically the same thing repeated over and over. Normally I'd get bored of that, and I have read many times about people dumping the game after a while, but for me it fits a spot perfectly. 200 hours is a pretty good length of time though, in fairness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised it has taken the OP this long to have this reaction....

Someone posted on BGG: "You'll either love this game or hate it." From the very first set, PACG was open to the criticism that it is repetitive and the decisions aren't as plentiful/interesting as some other games.

Usually people who enjoy the game don't feel this way, and enjoy the game's strong points, such as character advancement, experiencing an unfolding story, and taking this scenario's unique set of variables (characters,locations,banes,scenario/adventure powers) to solve the puzzle each scenario presents.

Mummy's Mask changes the game in some interesting ways. Scouting, which is too powerful in the other sets, got a necessary counterbalance, in that now it can hurt you. I find this changes the game experience significantly. Also, we now have ongoing penalties in the form of Scourges.

Personally, I think Paizo aimed a little low in difficult in Mummy's Mask, having been stung by the severe criticism that Wrath is too hard. I think people will find themselves using variants to make Mummy's Mask more challenging, like most people do with Runelords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus Guard wrote:
On point.

I think the "The Apocrypha Adventure Card Game" by the same designer might bring some fresh air to the ACG system but i don't think that this is what Paizo is aiming for.

Maybe the next, next Pathfinder ACG will have enough innovation (I also jumped the second ACG and could see the improvement in WotR).

I kickstarted this and I'm waiting on it before getting MM for this very reason. I'm looking forward to seeing what Lone Shark Games can do with their engine outside of the PACG constraints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd encourage you to give your feedback to Paizo by posting on their forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after 171 plays of S&S and 159 plays of RotR, i could say that the gameplay is repetitive for me, although each scenario (with more enphasis in S&S) brings special rules for minimize that. at this point, this repetitive stuff is a plus for me. i mean, the gameplay is familiar to me, and i focus in the characters advance and all that Robert said. it's like play a classic solitaire card game, to me, but improved by theme and hiperpowered by the best mechanicals.

obviously, i'm eager for ending the S&S campaign with all my heroes and submerging in Mummy's mask campaign.

the only thing i never will understand is how something so vital to the game, what is the prologues and epilogues guide, is not officially an essential part of the game. in fact, i thought the game will evolute in this way, offering a interactive guide with "try your own adventure" elements, in the way that the decisions you make in the guide would set some of the rules for the next scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
I'd encourage you to give your feedback to Paizo by posting on their forums.

english is not my mother tongue (obviously for you, i suppose). i spend some time to find myself confortably here and to get courage to post here, so, sorry if i prefer to post here only.

english language would be grateful for that, i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course there is repetition, but each set introduces some twist to combat that. In Mummy's Mask, there are environmental barriers that are shuffled into the blessings deck and interact with you in some way, and trigger traits that help or hurt examinations. So, while each box set feels familiar it is always (to me) exciting to see the ways they twist the standard "corner the villain" trope. Already in MM, we've seen a villain that automatically escapes if there is another open location, a villain that will punish you for scouting ahead, etc.

Plus, the subtle ways each character will approach the set differently, is fascinating to me. I literally want to play them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
Personally, I think Paizo aimed a little low in difficult in Mummy's Mask, having been stung by the severe criticism that Wrath is too hard.

I'm so glad to hear that! We enjoyed RotR (3 campaigns) but found S&S frustrating, and didn't bother with WotR because it sounded even worse/moreso.

I understand the OP's concerns, and perhaps when we reach those play counts we'll feel the same (I'm at 161 plays, and my wife is around 100). But so far, the character progression and "skinner box" of finding new goodies keep the game fresh enough to overcome the (arguable) repetition.

And yes, it was surprising that Paizo didn't ship RotR with the equivalent of the Adventure Guide. And shocking that they are still shipping new base sets without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliment

Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mb

I wish Paizo would make their own Adventure Guides too. There's some additional documents I created to complete the Adventure Card Game experience. There's more to the heroes' backstories, and the Deities are unfamiliar to anyone who doesn't play the RPG.

PACG Iconic Hero Backstories

PACG Blessing Deck Deities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Man
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Plus, the subtle ways each character will approach the set differently, is fascinating to me. I literally want to play them all.

This is one of the things that has kept me playing RPGs for 30+ years, and has been one of my top joys with PACG.

MM is no different in that regard, with very few repeat/rehash characters and tons of new material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.