Subject: Snooker Solitaire - A Subjective Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent B
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First round of the tournament and I’m up against the Veteran, Billy Yards. Just minutes in and I’m cruising to victory. I’ve racked up 16 points on a continuous turn since the Break and I’ve already planned my next 3 shots. If I make this Fine Cut, I’ll be in position to showboat with a crowd-pleasing Plant (I have plenty of Power left on my Cue card), which will then set me up for an easy Straight pot. The table is opening up and the path to a whitewash becoming clear to both competitors - Billy’s silence speaks volumes. Now the shot. The difficulty of the Fine Cut and a ball blocking the pocket are both mitigated by the relatively short distance to travel. I have to beat a 4 with the roll of two dice. I could sacrifice some Cue Power to make certain but I’m feeling cocky. I can beat the 4. So I roll…it’s a FOUL SHOT!

Snooker Solitaire feels like Snooker. The rules state that the game is not intended to be a simulation but just about every aspect of Snooker is represented. Players have the choice of Plants, Bank Shots, Spin and can even attempt to Snooker opponents.

For me, the rules did take a full play through to learn, mainly due to the sheer volume of shot options available. However, once assimilated the rules provide the player with just about every shot option available in the real sport and after the first play-through I found that the game flowed will with the need for referring even to the handy shot reference card. On this note, the Opponent cards are particularly impressive. Your opponent will continually pot one particular coloured ball whenever he has first potted a Red, but the number of balls he pots is randomised by the dice. For each opponent, this only changes from round to round and does not constantly change depending on the game state – again, negating the need for referring back to the Opponent Card. Here, as with the game as a whole, there is just enough randomness. Players are afforded the space in which to make both strategic and tactical choices and potentially rewarded for taking greater risks.

Snooker Solitaire is an engaging and rewarding experience indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently feeling under the weather and this has really cheered me up!

Brilliant match report (you should post it on the SGOYT thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.