Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
What are these for? Head to head team play? Let the Overlord play the good guys and the "heroes" be bad? Novelty?

And the tiles for Conan - Conan as an ally?

This isn't a complaint. I am just trying to figure out what all came in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
They added sheets and tiles so the OL/heroes can switch sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:

And isn't that an amazing idea?

For once the bad guys can find that pesky Cimmerian and recover their stolen treasures! Or as agents of (insert whichever nefarious cult) come to steal off with the princess.

The scope of what you can do with all the supplied (and more to come) components is just icing on the cake IMO. With additional scenarios that should cover the add-on minis and the campaign book, this game really is a keeper.

I think my regular players will have a blast playing as the bad guys and the scenarios awaiting to be written will be great fun to work on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wonder what it would be like to take the OL out of the game, and instead play a 3-on-3 fight using character sheets for the heroes and villains. It would need more gems, but that could easily be remedied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:

That's what I was thinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
I do wonder what it would be like to take the OL out of the game, and instead play a 3-on-3 fight using character sheets for the heroes and villains. It would need more gems, but that could easily be remedied.

Probably wouldn't be that fun. In such a situation, the system wouldn't encourage much moving around and vying for position, rather accumulating gems while letting the opponent approach, and go for big insta-kill moves.

The system really shines with a good amount of minions ! I bet you could try it the opposite way, though, with two overlords having a book of Skelos each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
feldmafx wrote:

I bet you could try it the opposite way, though, with two overlords having a book of Skelos each.

Hadn't thought of that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And on that note, a scenario suggestion. In the short story by REH, "The Phoenix on the Sword", Big Bad A attempts to assassinate King Conan in his bedchamber. Without getting into spoilers, Conan was not surprised and was fully armed. He was facing four henchmen level characters and sixteen Minions, thus it was 20 to 1.

To make it more interesting for the OL, Conan should have his Black Dragons (use Bossonian Guards if you don't have the Black Dragons add-on) and perhaps a fighting henchman like N'Gora.

The "Heroes" would be four fighting characters, no Spellcasters. Unlike the story, they would have no allies. They would be armed appropriately as they expected fighting. They would have to kill Conan quickly (perhaps turn 8) or lose as the sound of combat brings Conan's supportes to his aid in overwhelming numbers.

The Castle or the Inn map would probably the most appropriate.

Old Deep One wrote:
Abbath wrote:

And isn't that an amazing idea?

For once the bad guys can find that pesky Cimmerian and recover their stolen treasures! Or as agents of (insert whichever nefarious cult) come to steal off with the princess.

The scope of what you can do with all the supplied (and more to come) components is just icing on the cake IMO. With additional scenarios that should cover the add-on minis and the campaign book, this game really is a keeper.

I think my regular players will have a blast playing as the bad guys and the scenarios awaiting to be written will be great fun to work on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly my thinking

ebay got me a second book of Skelos and I will give it a try as a small skirmish game Picts vs. Guards ...

Dystopian wrote:
feldmafx wrote:

Probably wouldn't be that fun. In such a situation, the system wouldn't encourage much moving around and vying for position, rather accumulating gems while letting the opponent approach, and go for big insta-kill moves.

The system really shines with a good amount of minions ! I bet you could try it the opposite way, though, with two overlords having a book of Skelos each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Dystopian wrote:

That would only be true if you were trying to play it as a fight rather than a scenario, which this game system is not designed for. I think a scenario based game would play out fine. Although the board might feel a bit empty with just characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
ebay got me a second book of Skelos and I will give it a try as a small skirmish game Picts vs. Guards ...

Sidebar: i recently saw a picture somewhere of a prototype Book of Skelos made out of what appeared to be foam core. Because of the Book's width, you'd need sheets of foam core larger than page-sized. i've got a package of A3 foam core sheets arriving today, and am tinkering with the idea of making a Book using them. (Not that i need one, i just think it'd be cool to have. Just not sure i want to commit a whole A3 sheet to it.)

Alternately, it would be trivial to make one out of cardboard: a bottom layer as a platform and a top layer with "windows" cut out of it in the sizes/shaped needed to hold the various Book bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.