3 Posts

Port Royal Unterwegs!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First impression after 4 plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
When initially hearing about a stand alone expansion for PR, which makes the game even lighter and more portable then the original, I hesitated, if that would be really something, which I needed. Then I introduced somebody at work to regular PR, who regularly beats me at trick taking games, but is not an experienced gamer otherwise, and his opinion on the game was: "Interesting, but you have to admit, this is a very complicated game." So I knew somebody, I will eventually try out this "PR lite" version with. Yesterday, I had to take care of a kid age 7, who would too struggle with the full game, so I checked, if the game is in stock at a FLGS, and bought it there.

First of all, regarding the "more portable" aspect of the game. This, in my opinion, is a lie. I was expecting an UNO type box, which fits in the back pocket of a pair of trousers, but instead it is barely smaller then the original. Which means, it is still very portable, but you need a backpack, a briefcase, or something else to carry it around conveniently, just like with the full game. It might be considered even slightly less portable, since it does not include a plastic inlay like the original package and the pit in the cardboard inlay is bigger, leaving the deck more space to shift around and be potentially bended. Still, this can be prevented by putting the deck into a (not included) zip back, so it's not really an issue.

So in the evening, we tried it out before bed time of the boy, and it was a success. We played three rounds, and he instantly grabbed the system, purposely denying me ships, which would grant me VPs due to my wholesaler. Second game, there was hardly any "coaching" necessary, yet he was able to play quite competitively.

After he was long in bed, when the parents came back, I also played a round with them, and they liked it. Although I would doubt, that they would have the same, if they would had known the original. Going to 8 VPs, the game is over super fast, and I think Sailors are a bit weak here, which diminishes the push your luck mechanism as well. Going to 4 or 5 swords takes too long, so you might get one turn, you can pull off a 4 or 5 ship discovery, or maybe even none at all, before another player simply buys 3 passengers, a couple of wholesalers, or a mix of the two. This is more of a game for landlubbers and possibly fresh water sailors. That said, if you want to play with kids, or prepare some non gamers with the system, this is sure worth a purchase. For a gamers meeting, the first expansion Ein Auftrag geht noch... is the better option for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Susumu wrote:

First of all, regarding the "more portable" aspect of the game. This, in my opinion, is a lie. I was expecting a UNO type box, which fits in the back pocket of a pair of trousers, but instead it is barely smaller then the original. Which means, it is still very portable, but you need a backpack, a briefcase, or something else to carry it around conveniently, just like with the full game. It might be considered even slightly less portable, since it does not include a plastic inlay like the original package and the pit in the cardboard inlay is bigger, leaving the deck more space to shift around and be potentially bended. Still, this can be prevented by putting the deck into a (not included) zip back, so it's not really an issue.

This is my main bug-bear with the game - "how on earth is it a travel edition?!?!?!"

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review and I feel the same way. It's faster and easier. Maybe too fast for gamers.

After two rounds with my son I put the two-nail-cards in the 'real' game. I like the first expansion more, but I'm really curious how much the wholesaler will change the game. I'm not sure about that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.