Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how people feel about rule variants (Edit: found in the rule book).

1. Do you even read them? Do you try them?
2. How are they?
3. What's your favourite game with rule variants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Personal Preferences
Are you talking about fan made or authorized(found in the rule book) rule variants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
Are you talking about fan made or authorized(found in the rule book) rule variants?

Found in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Just wondering how people feel about rule variants (Edit: found in the rule book).

2. How are they?

I am pretty okay with rule book variants as well as "House Rules" either fan made or my home-brewed.

Tha said, if I am playing with people who DO NOT like variants or house rules then I'm okay with that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read them.
If they sound good I include them on the second play. If they don't, I ignore them.
Sometimes we play the expert variant on the first play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think they are a nice touch. They open to a lot of replay value. I have in mind Ascension, which has a team variant and a solo variant included in its rulebook.

But I enjoy it better when these variants are actually modules, as is done with the Oniverse game (although they're technically called expansions.)

I think some game can welcome variants very well. Some won't.

What kind of variant are we talking about? Do you consider the advanced rules in Sentinels of the Multiverse and Aeon's End as variant (optional rules you can use that make the game much harder, and which are designed for each character, such as "Advanced: reduce all damage inflicted to this character by one"
These are a VERY nice touch, in my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the way upcoming card game Unfair handles this. They have included 5 "game changer" cards that offer altered rules. These would be "variants" or optional rules, but they way they are included makes them feel much more organic to the game. You start each game by selecting which, if any, game changer cards you will be using and display the cards so everyone can see which of the "core" rules have been altered for that game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I read and usually try variants, if applicable. If I enjoy the game, I usually enjoy its variants. (Note that many variants are provided to adjust gameplay to fit more/fewer players or easier/harder play, so sometimes I skip them.)

Here are a few I like, some official, some not so much.
- I like the Rewards deck in Cosmic Encounter.
- I like (most) of the Kingsburg variants from To Forge a Realm.
- In Settlers of Catan, I almost always use the Foodstamps variant and Bridges/Islands variant.
- In Carcassonne, I play with the bonus-turn-for-filling-a-hole house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:

2. How are they?

If they are in the rule book then I usually like to give them a try. I think the Colt Express expert/2 player variant is nice because it gives you a little more control over your hand of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I like to use the variants especially the authorized ones. They sometimes spice up the game and give it a fresh outlook. For example, the 1942 variant of Axis & Allies 1940 Global works out to be a fun variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:

1. Do you even read them?
Yes

ex1st wrote:
Do you try them?
I try to try them

ex1st wrote:
2. How are they?
Sometimes not too shabby. Otherwise, take it or leave it in the remaining cases.

For ones that are intros to the game, usually, I wish they didn't have the "baby steps" variant and just forced us into the meat of the game. Concern with this is sometimes, folks just want to start off easy, but it shouldn't be THAT BAD to dive into the game as it should be. As a result, sometimes it feels like I'm playing a different game instead of the one I wanted to.

ex1st wrote:

Race For The Galaxy "arc 1", which consists of The Gathering Storm, Rebel Vs. Imperium, and Brink Of War expansions.
The goals introduced in exp #1 and going to exp #3 (First goals and its pts obtained for the first player to get them, and Most goals go to the person with the most and minimum condition of something, but this can change hands)

That same arc also has Takeovers introduced in exp #2, and going into exp #3. Allows you to take a world from an opponent's tableau onto yours, given the right conditions. Quite a different thing considering this is a "clean and friendly euro game", so aggression and razing are deemed bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Some interesting comments.

For a simple abstract/family game... What if the rule variants changed the game, effectively making it play differently? For example: You can now stack tiles in Carcassonne (providing you don't squash a meeple).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
What if the rule variants changed the game, effectively making it play differently?

Those are the best kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love rule variants.. from the book and house-made. Why not try to tweak the game to make it even better?

Variants in the rule book we never play without...

Excape: double x on first roll is the bomb... clears the board. How could you not use a rule so fun?

Las Vegas: neutral dice variant. Turns a good game into one of the best

Mmm!: the variant where you can only place dice all in the same row or column actually makes it a game fun for adults too

Spookies: forget the die, unless playing with kids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:

For a simple abstract/family game... What if the rule variants changed the game, effectively making it play differently? For example: You can now stack tiles in Carcassonne (providing you don't squash a meeple).

I actually would love that rule. Did you just make it up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I always read them pretty much.

2. Some are better than others. I tend to prefer ones that just add cool chrome than those that change the gameplay entirely.

3. I always use at least some of the advanced rules in The Republic of Rome. How many of them and which ones depends on how experienced the other players are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
ex1st wrote:

I actually would love that rule. Did you just make it up?

Yes, I did. It will make more sense when you see what I have been working on: [WIP] KIKA - 972 Colour Matching Games for 2-4 Players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so you're designing a game so I'm not going to talk too much about my likes & dislikes (because everyone likes different stuff so what I like is probably totally irrelevant to how you should design your game).

ex1st wrote:
1. Do you even read them?

Of course, I read the whole rule book.
ex1st wrote:
Do you try them?

Usually
ex1st wrote:
2. How are they?

It depends. I think it can be good if there is a simpler version of a game and then a more complex version once you've understood the basic rules. Different ways of playing or different modules are good too - the boundary those can be a bit blurred sometimes. Variants for solo play, team play or different player counts can be good too. Obviously there will be some variants I don't personally like (but whatever) but one thing I thinks isn't good is when a game has a bunch of variants and you don't give any guidance as to which ones you should pick, particularly if you need to pick which way to play before your first game. Traditional card games are terrible for this, but some published games don't really give guidance as to which the default variant should be.

ex1st wrote:

Race for the Galaxy, but I doubt that's helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Good points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I was happy to see that in Agricola (revised edition) that there's a house rule section in the book that lists a couple of small things to try. One being that you can build fences even if they don't enclose a space. Because we come from playing a lot of ACBAS it just makes sense (and also thematically.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goosarino strangeprawn
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely nobody would play Twilight Imperium without using the optional 'trench run' rules.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When attacking War Suns the aggressor can assign fighters to a trench run, with a fifty-to-one shot of succeeding in firing into an exhaust port and destroying the battlestaion before combat begins

Those people would be monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.