Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: " People who liked this also liked... " rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artur Amorim
msg tools
In IMDb they have a session "People who liked this also liked..." in every page.
It would be nice if the game pages in BGG also have this session.
So we could know which games could have something alike (at least the user taste) with a game that we liked. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Didn't there use to be a feature like this? I've vague memories of it being removed for performance reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You might want to look at how many thumbs a game gets or its BGG rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Amorim
msg tools
guzerat wrote:
Hmmm... Didn't there use to be a feature like this? I've vague memories of it being removed for performance reasons.

The idea came to me because I have seen too many people who asks for a game who looks like another. For example, today (really) a friend asked me a strategy game like Terra Mystica to buy.
If the session " People who liked this also liked... " was in BGG, he could see indications beyond my suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a feature I've been looking for since the day I joined. Since I'm often finding something new on this site, I figured it's there somewhere, I just haven't seen it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do not want BGG suggesting games to me that I know to be shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heiliger wrote:
So we could know which games could have something alike (at least the user taste) with a game that we liked. =)

The similar rated feature.
Go to the ratings page of a game. On the right of that page, there's a link "View similar rated game". On the resulting page, you can tweak some numbers to adjust what you like to see.

For example, this are the games rated high by people who rate Caverna at 9-10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Amorim
msg tools
Werbaer wrote:
heiliger wrote:

The similar rated feature.
Go to the ratings page of a game. On the right of that page, there's a link "View similar rated game". On the resulting page, you can tweak some numbers to adjust what you like to see.

For example, this are the games rated high by people who rate Caverna at 9-10.

That's cool! I didn't knew about this feature. Wish this was a little more showable in the game page.

Actually, when I made this suggestion I was thinking about something related to "people who are fans of this game are also fan..."
But, for now, it will serve.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
guzerat wrote:

There was. But the algorithm running it was a bit ... quirky, and so it received an upgrade from a stats enthusiast. It tend to produce somewhat better results, but during an UI upgrade the module showing its results was retired—perhaps indeed also for performance reasons—and we haven't seen it since. That must've been nearly a decade ago now.

In all fairness, you need fairly sophisticated algorithms to come up with anything which doesn't make you laugh, and they all suffer from the weakness that they require lots of 'seeding'. But that comes with a disadvantage all its own: the better you know your own preferences to seed to algorithms, the less you need to use them. Perhaps that neural networks ('deep learning') might be able to come up with suggestions you weren't yet aware of, but to my knowledge noone has ever attempted to apply deep learning to an automated BGG recommendation.

That said, if you're prepared to take a more active role then Geekbuddies can also be of use here. In essence humans do the filtering and suggesting then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.