GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 106.6

6,644 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Platy Hiker
msg tools
mbmb
In the Watch It Played video, Rodney says that an exiled player can NEVER move any of his/her survivors back to the colony. I've read through the rules, both printed and on-line, and I cannot find this prohibition in the rules. Can anybody tell me where that rule is?

(I agree that it would not fit the theme to have a person kicked out the group to be able to return to the group headquarters, but as detailed-oriented person, I like to know whether it is an official rule.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That's embarrassing.

I bet I was sure of this topic, but after a CTRL-F on the rules PDF I couldn't find that rule. It does not exist! surprise

Thank you for the heads up. This probably makes some of the exiled tasks easier than I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't state it in the rules, but according to this discussion it was supposed to be added to the FAQ. I don't see that it was ever added.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16703886#16703886

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
It doesn't state it in the rules, but according to this discussion it was supposed to be added to the FAQ. I don't see that it was ever added.

Yes, I would have thought that it is in the rules as well. It would make sense with all the rules about exiled players not being able to add survivors to the colony and adding their new characters outside of the colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's an implied rule. But your right, i didn't find it in the rulebook or the ver 1.1 faq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprising. We are talking about Plaid Hat Games after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind that Rodney works very closely with most of the publishers when he makes rules videos. And when it comes to Plaid Hat Games he's pretty much their official rules video creator. If Rodney made a rules declaration in his video you can treat it as a fact whether or not it's in the official rulebook. A good example of how closely he works with them is when he made is when he made the Specter Ops video. He actually made a rules mistake due to a last-minute change to the rulebook and he went back, re-edited the video and fixed it after it was brought to his attention. There is no way after all this time that this rule would not have been caught and changed if it wasn't correct in his video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
tomaisin wrote:
Not surprising. We are talking about Plaid Hat Games after all.

I find it "not surprising" that someone needs the rule written down some where. Every rule talks about the Exile player moving out of the colony, even if there is no room, a non-exile has to move back to make room. The word "exile" tells you the answer, and yet we are slighting Plaid Hat for not stating this?

If you are playing with someone that insists they can move back to the Colony after being exiled, b/c it doesn't say so in the rules-- stop playing with that person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Platy Hiker
msg tools
mbmb
SaintHax wrote:
If you are playing with someone that insists they can move back to the Colony after being exiled, b/c it doesn't say so in the rules-- stop playing with that person.

What triggered the question in my mind was reading through one of the Play-By-Forum games where an exiled player ended up being very helpful to colony players, because his new (exiled) objective made it so that he needed the main objective to succeed. After a number of helpful moves by the exiled player, the colony players clearly were reasonably confident that this player was working with them. In this particular example, it doesn't seem unquestionable that an exiled survivor might be allowed to pop into the colony for a short visit. Hence, the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Platy Hiker
msg tools
mbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:

Thanks so much for that link. It is nice to get confirmation at that the designers intended for exiled survivors never to return to the colony. (It's a shame they didn't add this information to the FAQ, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exiled means just that... Exiled. Common sense would dictate that by the omission of rules instructing players on how to reincorporate an exiled member, that permanence is implied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lumpfuggit wrote:
Exiled means just that... Exiled. Common sense would dictate that by the omission of rules instructing players on how to reincorporate an exiled member, that permanence is implied.

I was going to say exactly that. If you are exiled from a place, common sense dictates that you can't return. It's the very meaning of the word. It's not necessary to add that to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MOHRING
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Except Carol was exiled in the walking dead to return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowtippa wrote:

Then as I said... If they wanted that as part of this game it would have been in the rules... It is not ... Therefore it isn't allowed. Period.

This is Dead of Winter. Not the Walking Dead.

Edit: by all means, make your own house rules however you like. I think there are plenty of rules already, Reincorporating an exiled player sounds extremely boring and one of the last things I want to concern myself with in a session of DoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumpfuggit wrote:
Cowtippa wrote:

Then as I said... If they wanted that as part of this game it would have been in the rules... It is not ... Therefore it isn't allowed. Period.
[...]

Permanence of the exile could or could be not be implied.
Now, after the response to that specific question by Plaid Hat support, we know that it was implied. And, by the way, me and my group always plaid so even before encountering this discussion.
Before that, however, following the rules as written survivors of an exiled player were allowed to return the colony: it's in the basic move action.
Making assumptions on what a game designer intended when we don't find the rule we were expecting is - in general - dangerous and pretentious. What - for example- if the designer wanted the exiled player to be able to come back to the colony, thus forcing the others to use the attack action in order to put it out of the game if he ever dared to come back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:

Permanence of the exile could or could be not be implied.
Now, after the response to that specific question by Plaid Hat support, we know that it was implied. And, by the way, me and my group always plaid so even before encountering this discussion.
Before that, however, following the rules as written survivors of an exiled player were allowed to return the colony: it's in the basic move action.
Making assumptions on what a game designer intended when we don't find the rule we were expecting is - in general - dangerous and pretentious...

Dangerous?? ... We aren't talking about nuclear weapons, or the life of millions in the ballance here. So I think we are safe, whew. Pretentious? ... perhaps to some. Even after hearing that there was this omission I didn't ever consider the other possibility (returning from exile) valid or ever intended by the designer. With or without the omission I felt it was clear. Pretentious?? ... fine.

Now had P.H. intended for the game to be played so that the exiled player was allowed to come back to the colony, leaving that out would have been a HUGE oversight by any game designer(s). For them to miss an entire set of rules on battling an exiled player that comes back to the colony, or peacefully reincorporating an exiled player later on would again be a massive "drop-of-the-ball". However, forgetting to place a simple sentence saying "oh yeah, and by the way, the exiled person can never travel back to the colony." Is a simple error or oversight, that I don't feel needed litigation by rules lawyers.

Now I get it, I hate it when rules are not clear just like the next guy. But this "issue" I felt was a non-issue (at best) from the beginning.

Painkeeper wrote:
... What - for example- if the designer wanted the exiled player to be able to come back to the colony, thus forcing the others to use the attack action in order to put it out of the game if he ever dared to come back?

A good point indeed, and in the right setting a very interesting proposition. However, in DoW there are already multiple ways for the exiled, or the betrayer to get to/back-at the colonists. They don't need another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Tyrrell
msg tools
new user
And that's why the Jews forever remained in Babylon; Lepidus never again voted in the Roman Senate; Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin disappeared in Siberia; James Joyce did not return to Dublin, not even to visit his Da... because "exile" means "permanent removal even if circumstances change."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
charlesthemagnet wrote:
And that's why the Jews forever remained in Babylon; Lepidus never again voted in the Roman Senate; Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin disappeared in Siberia; James Joyce did not return to Dublin, not even to visit his Da... because "exile" means "permanent removal even if circumstances change."

I'm not going to take time to shoot holes in everyone of your points, so I'll start with the first. Cyrus gave the Jews permission to return to Judah (something that DoW doesn't support). The exile was not-- "you guys leave for Babylon, and if you come back-- that's cool". B/c that's not what exile means.

Interesting choice for a first post on here, the first day your account is active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.