$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Geert
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmb
I posted this also in the Amazon.de sales thread. I am looking for some thoughts about whether this game would add enough for me, considering other games that I already have. I am incredibly on the fence about this game.

It seems to me it will scratch similar edges as games that are already in my collection, but don't get played often enough already because of too little time to play everything. Games like Glen More, Carcassonne, Alhambra, Vikings, maybe Walnut Grove. Although I realize these games obviously have many differences, do you think this will add enough to the collection so that I would still want to play ALL these games?

(Btw, playing mostly with 2 players)

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does not shine with 2 players only IMHO.
It goes better with 3 or 4 (not recommended with 5)
But then this is true for Alhambra as well.
This is probably the best game among the ones you have mentioned and the mechanism of acquiring tiles is very original and offers a different gameplay compared to those games and I am sure it would be a good addition to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matmo wrote:

I agree completely, though I would also play it with 5.

The fun and different thing about Isle of Skye is the part where you price the tiles (don't know about Alhambra and Walnut Grove, since I don't know them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this game with all player counts.

I'm more of a card gamer, over dice or tiles.

I've played Carcassonne, Alhambra, and Glen More.

Isle of Skye is one of my favorite games of all time and far better than those three (which are good, ok, quite good, respectively, imo).

The decisions are simple but tough, the brain-burny part is simultaneous for everyone so it plays quickly, and it's highly interactive and highly variable from game to game.

LOVE IT.

Edit: I will admit 2p is probably weakest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Lester
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add further noise to the echo chamber, I think Isle of Skye is certainly better than any of the games mentioned, with the caveat that it's weakest at 2p. In my experience (probably about 30-40 plays or so), IoS shines the more players you have, even all the way up to 6 (I'm sure that's why they put the extra screen and axe in the box). With every player added, the tension of the buying phase increases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, the main unique aspects of Isle of Skye is the tile pricing and acquisition stage and the variability of in game scoring. Both of which I think are very well done.

Personally, I definitely put this ahead of Carcassonne given the 2 items above. I rank it consistently with Alhambra and I slightly prefer Glen More.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing worth mentioning is the high replayibility. There are 16 scoring tiles and only 4 are used each game. Those 4 tiles are scored three times during the game. This adds to the decision making of when and which tiles you acquire during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not worth getting for just 2-players. As most have said, best with at least 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye is different enough from Vikings and Walnut Grove (I have both) that they won't be replaced by IoS.

For the record, I enjoy IoS with 2 (and more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all your comments.

There do seem to be some opposing views about the 2-player game. I watched some reviews, and both Rahdo and JonGetsGames rate it very highly at 2 players. Though I can certainly see why the mechanism of pricing your tiles and buying eachother's tiles would be much more interesting with more players. So thank you all for that advice.

I did decide to buy the game however, as I don't play exclusively 2-player, and it seems light enough to introduce to family and friends that we would likely play the game with. It does seem like a good game, as all of your comments confirmed. And the price was good at Amazon.de at €19.42 (with free shipping after adding some stuff I also needed to reach €29).

I think the tile-laying aspect contains some of the stuff we liked about the tile laying in Walnut Grove (finding the right tiles to finish the lakes etc.), and I think the tile laying will be different enough from the other games I mentioned. Plus I really like the variability of the scoring categories, much like how Grand Austria Hotel offers new goals each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so surprised by this!

With two you have to set your prices so carefully to get what you want. It's a fantastic game of 'yomi'- predicting your opponent's behavior based on shared information. You have to pay so much attention to your opponent's needs and pay careful attention to all six tiles on offer.

At 3p you have nine tiles to assess based on all three of your strategic needs - almost impossible to do quickly so the players either loosen up, making the game much, much lighter, or it bogs down.

With 4 to 5 players you barely even bother to assess the possibilities a given tile offers to your tableau, much less playing any meaningful defense. Tile prices are guesswork. The game is very light and quick since you can't really think it through. It's still a fun game at all counts but there is only a shadow of the depth between 2p and 5p.

The above is however true of many, many games. In general, I think this is because:

A) it's more fun and social to play in bigger groups

B) people don't really like the zero sum intensity of playing with 2

Because of this I often rate games as 'Best with 2' that aren't even recommended with 2 by the majority of BGG users.

Different strokes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:

In 5 players it's okay.

For 2 players, there is a great low-maintenance dummy variant: Simply draw one extra tile each round, purchasable from "neutral player" for "round number+1" coins.
Don't fill this tile DURING the round, should it be bought... and always exchange it between the rounds, even if it wasn't.
This variant increases the choices, buying from "him" sends your money out of the game, and overall easy to operate.

More detailed analysis and ideas here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1421967/2-player-low-mainte...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across this passage in a post about Patchwork by
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"...the glass panes of crippling mental and social impairment keep me from true enjoyment. On those few and far between chances I actually do get to play a 2-player game, I'm forever thrust into the awkward longing for a third or fourth wheel, a foil for conversation, a secondary or tertiary insurance against having to interact with only one other human being. It is too much focus on not enough things! Leave me alone! Let me earn my victory points in relative anonymity! Too intimate, too much a reverse cynosure for competition and conflict. Anything you do in a game with only one other player is a direct response to that player, a very specific kicking at another's shin for the express advancement of one's own limbs..."

I love that, and couldn't agree with it less. I feel we play games precisely because we're too old to kick literal shins.

If you're ever looking for great 2p games, I highly recommend reading Mina's Fresh Cardboard. Mina, like Nat, is a delight to read, but as someone who almost exclusively plays games with her husband, she comes from the opposite perspective.

(link to original blogpost: On a Tenuous Resuming of Tradition, the Long and the Short Of It & Pretending That Nothing's Happened)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.