Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tam Myaing
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Original Wee Big Review at https://goo.gl/lBpiAf.

Honshu is a trick-taking, map-building card game set in feudal Japan, fo 2 to 5 players, by designer Kalle Malmioja. His second published game, this city builder reminds me of a bit of Patchistory (2013) in that you are putting down cards and overlaying them so that some portions are shown and some portions are hidden. Honshu combines this elegantly with the trick-taking aspect for card selection, which uses resources produced from your city to set the 'suit' of the 'trick'. Figuring out the best configuration for your city is very satisfying, and the trick-taking portion fits in very nicely. I find trick-taking games to be fairly abstract in general, but I feel Honshu does this very well since the mechanic is very grounded into the theme of the game. It has great spatial awareness, and is definitely one of my favorite small-box city builders.

Wee Big Score: 5/5
Packaging: Small
Depth: High
Interaction: Some
Complexity: Easy
Production: Good
Re-packability: N/A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a high depth not much depth, or a lot of depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tam Myaing
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
I mean that is has a good amount of depth for a game of its size. Note that I am comparing only to other small-box strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.