Hide
7 Posts

Hero Realms» Forums » General

Subject: Character packs versus standard starting cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Mac
msg tools
I just received my cards and am excited to play.

I've got a question about balance with the character packs. Are they designed to be balanced with the standard starting cards (1 shortsword, 1 dagger, 1 ruby and 7 gold)? Or do they have an advantage?

If they have an advantage, can anyone think of a way to balance them out with the standard cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard cards are intended to be a base hero, common adventure if you will. The character packs are intended to be stronger adventures.

As for balancing them, not sure. I don't think that they were intended to be balanced.

Edit: Not sure why you would even want try to balance then, just have each player play with either base deck or hero decks. However, if you are insistent, you can remove the 1 dmg card and one/two of the 1 coin cards, and it would speed up the basic deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mac
msg tools
I guess I was thinking if in a multiplayer game one of the players didn't want to choose a character pack, while others did. The one who did not would be at a disadvantage it sounds like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdeemac wrote:
I guess I was thinking if in a multiplayer game one of the players didn't want to choose a character pack, while others did. The one who did not would be at a disadvantage it sounds like.

I have played two games with the hero packs, and yes, I would not say they are balanced with the generic starter deck (though I think they are balanced between the various hero decks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So that means either everybody starts with the generic base deck or with one of the character decks to avoid to give one player an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdeemac wrote:
I guess I was thinking if in a multiplayer game one of the players didn't want to choose a character pack, while others did.

The solution to that is to just give that person a random character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Shelfwear wrote:
So that means either everybody starts with the generic base deck or with one of the character decks to avoid to give one player an advantage.

I'd say yes. I haven't used the base starting cards yet, but played all of the characters, and they definitely have an advantage from the start. Even excluding their starting deck, just the special ability cards are a huge step up. I'd probably only mix the 2 sets if you have someone who is a lot better at the game, and you want to try to give them a handicap to try to balance things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.