Subject: Seeking Play testers for Metronome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
I am new around here, and I just ran into a little monthly contest this site runs for games designed and created in a single 24-hour period. This month's theme is "Music."

On Tuesday, I rolled up my sleeves and 13 hours, 22 minutes later, I had a simple card game called Metronome. My 2-6 player game is about repeatedly filling a measure of music with notes. First person to get rid of all his cards wins. 2-piece board and an attractive 54-card deck (with backs) designed and created from scratch by hand.

Please go to my contest entry to get the pdf files for the rules (one page) and the components (13 pages).

Of course any suggestions for improvements and rule clarifications can only be incorporated after Nov 30 (contest rules), but I'd like to hear some feedback on this dashed-off effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
I am new around here, and I just ran into a little monthly contest this site runs for games designed and created in a single 24-hour period.

Please provide a link to the contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also commented on your entry... but I'm definitely interested in playtesting this with my family, once I get some colored ink (or figure out a better way to print).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
pisecobabe wrote:
once I get some colored ink (or figure out a better way to print).

Please feel free to try out this LOW-INK version of metronome:

Metronome (LOW INK)

There are no card backs, and the cards are now greyscale and very light. This version is very miserly with the ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

Check back here in a day or so and I'll have the new version up.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for providing the Low Ink version. We printed and cut it yesterday and played three short games. It's definitely a family-friendly (also homeschool-friendly, since it's educational!) kind of game. It reminded us a little bit of Mille Bornes, which is a good thing.

We got two plays with just me and my husband - and felt like with two players, the game ended too quickly - we didn't have any times when we had to draw cards, we just played out measures with little else going on. So perhaps you'd want to consider some kind of modification for the 2-player game, whether it is starting with more cards, or something like starting each measure with a random card from the top of the deck, just to make it a little more complicated and stretch the two-player experience out a bit.

We got to play later in the evening with our 14yo son and felt that the 3 player was definitely more active than the 2 player game. We'll try again tonight with both our kids, and maybe next weekend we'll get a chance to try it at the 5 or 6 player counts and let you know how it goes.

Overall, I think you did a great job for 13 hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
I can re-balance the game by

1) requiring more cards in each player's hand. Perhaps you should hold (17-N) cards where N is the number of players.

2) Adding more colors while continuing to restrict following colors to just 2. So instead of 2/3 chance of playing a card, it could be 2/4 or 2/5. This requires a much larger deck.

3) Add a new type of card (I was thinking 'rests') which forces the next player to draw cards, skip a turn, or both. Also, rests can be 'wild' in that you can announce which color the next note must be.

4) Restrict which cards you can play on a given turn. Use the following hand management system:

Instead of holding all your cards and being able to use any of them, put your entire hand face down in a pile in front of you. Pick up the top card for your hand (one card only) and flip the next card face up on the pile. On your turn you may play only one of those 2 cards. If you play from your hand, you pick the next face-down card from your pile for your hand. If you use the face-up card, flip the next card face-up from the pile. If you can play neither, put the card in your hand face-down on the bottom of your pile and draw another card from the main draw pile for your hand.

This way your choices are restricted and, in addition, everyone can see one of the cards you are trying to play. This should make 'jamming' easier.

Poll
Make this change:
require more cards per hand
add more card colors
add wild rests
restrict playable cards
      1 answer
Poll created by professorguy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not actually sure which one method (or maybe a combination?) would work best, but I definitely like the idea of having rest cards forcing the next player to draw a card instead of playing - or possibly each value of rest would have a slightly different effect? Maybe that the player has to draw up cards for the number of beats of the rest?

But I also like the idea of the restricted hand - that lends a different kind of strategy to the game, where you can see one of your opponent's two possible plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb

Here is the second version:

metronome v.2: card faces

metronome v.2: rules & board

metronome v.2: larger box to hold all 81 cards

Update: Now available!
metronome v.2: LOW-INK (greyscale/patterned) playing card faces

Some notes have fewer allowed colors.
More accidentals, dots, and ties added for more complex play.
Rests require the player to choose a color or the next player to draw cards.
The whole rest can be played upside down as a half rest.
The rules are tweaked to allow 2-11 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to trying it with the new cards & new rules.

I also really appreciate that you resized the rules and the board so it will all fit in a card-sized tuck box! Great idea - makes it easier to store and much better for travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
pisecobabe wrote:
Looking forward to trying it with the new cards & new rules.

If you want to print on the cheap: I just completed the low-ink version:

metronome v.2: Low-ink (greyscale) cards

For further ink savings, there is no real reason to use the board. If you remember that the default time signature is 4/4, you can play without a board. Also, the cards don't need printed backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.