8 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Advisors spectacles... [no spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...look a bit modern, don't they, for an 'age of sail' game? We're about to start game 2, so we know nothing, but hmmm...

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spectacles for reading date to the 14th century.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gardner
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
There's a fair amount of anachronism going on in the advisor outfits, but yes the glasses/spectacles are particularly notable.

While spectacles did exist at the time, the styles were quite different. Most of the spectacles I've seen so far (boxes 1 and 2) are all quite modern, even the older styles still appear post-Victorian.

Weren't the advisors all based on backers? As such, I wouldn't really expect era appropriate eyewear (or makeup for that matter, but even the most historically minded movies never mimic era makeup, it's usually just too jarring.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the U.S.A.

Vanity over realism (hence our jaded versions of history)IMHO

Some of these Advisors look like they work in a modern hardware store, not working in the 17th century shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that SeaFall isn't intended to be historical. Emphasis added:
SeaFall game description wrote:
SeaFall is a 4X-inspired game (without player elimination/extermination) set in an "age of sail" world reminiscent of our world.

In SeaFall, the world is starting to claw its way out of a dark age and has begun to rediscover seafaring technology.

It's possible that as you play, you might find another thing or two in the game that diverges a bit from history...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dom
msg tools
They are sketches of real playtesters, so probably the artist wanted intentionally to keep the looks as close as possible. Some kind of easter egg maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Keep in mind that SeaFall isn't intended to be historical. Emphasis added:
SeaFall game description wrote:
SeaFall is a 4X-inspired game (without player elimination/extermination) set in an "age of sail" world reminiscent of our world.

In SeaFall, the world is starting to claw its way out of a dark age and has begun to rediscover seafaring technology.

It's possible that as you play, you might find another thing or two in the game that diverges a bit from history...

That's not really relevant though, is it? All of the art and theme in the board, mats, ships, etc. are coherently 16th-century of our world.

Even if that was the intent, I don't find subtly anachronistic advisor art to be effective foreshadowing, do you? I think it's much more likely that the play-tester portrayals were just easier to do the less they deviated from their present-day appearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wogoat wrote:
Weren't the advisors all based on backers?

I believe some were based on playtesters and/or people that worked on the game in some capacity. The game wasn't crowdfunded, so there were no backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.