Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

i play mainly solo with 2 heroes.

yesterday i played with the acolythe and the soldier.
so i felt that i was missing some high dmg cards. so i thought of adding another hero to the team, and then i thought about how that would change the game.

and i came to the conclusion that it will be far more easy!

- you have more heroes on the board so you can move arround more to meet certain places on the board or collect treasure

-you have more hitpoints and more targets to spread dmg from the enemies

-your chance of drawing the best cards is 33% higher.

the only thing that scales it the initial lair spawn.

am i missing smth?

(i mean the more people play cards the more often the darkness cycle activates, but i can choose to only play the really powerful cards from each hero)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 is the limit of my ability to handle solo. You have more tactical options with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth doesn't scale well for number of heroes. It is known.

I play Slaughterfield with different numbers of heroes and decided to spawn monsters from 2/3/4 sides of the board when playing with 2/3/4 heroes, respectively. It works well and one could wonder why Megacon didn't come up with a similar rule. Anyway, they didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I see that Myth scales differently for the number of heroes than a linear change in one, or even two, mechanisms. The most obvious is for spawning, though you have the "control" to manage it for initial placement as well. Less noticable is the scaling of monster attacks - more heroes generally means more surface area for monster to attack through, which counter-balances the larger amount of health available. What I found even more subtle than that, is the darkness meter - it's fixed at 6. So while you might have better cards available more often, it also means more darkness cycles. This might be inline with DCs to number of heroes, but when I've played five players, it seems like we were getting attacked multiple times per HC (whether during or between HCs). And since that means spawns which spawn more with more heroes....

I personally most enjoy three players. Two and four are ok, and five... I'm willing to try with the right folks again, but.... ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of 2 player,... It's difficult in some ways (lack of options) but easier in others.

3 is nice; four might be the sweet spot,... 5 can be difficult.

With 5 (especially with five people controlling them) you tend to have people doing more of their own thing,.... But there are more non useful spends of AP, and the ratio of Killy AP spend to Darkness activation goes down a bit,.... And if not managed well, can overwhelm the party. (I hope that makes sense)

Played well; 5 players is an absolute beauty,.... When the players are in sync, you can absolutely rock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my first game I played with two heroes (Soldier, Archer) and did fairly well but was crushed by my third tile (ran out of anti-poison potions - stupid bugs).

On my second game, I added the Acolyte to the party and I will say that between the added healing and a third party member, it was a lot easier. You can add that up to having access to healing powers, but I believe it was mainly due to the added options of a third hero. I think 3-4 heroes/players is the best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played solo with 2, 3 , and 4 heroes several times each, and I prefer playing with 3 Heroes, although 2 or 4 is perfectly playable. If you only play with 2, I strongly recommend that you take a healer (the Acolyte is great because she/he has healing cards plus Area-of-Effect and Damage-over-Time attack cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Ash
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't see playing this solo. There is way too much to keep track of.

We have a 3 player group for this game, but find that 4 characters is the sweet spot for it. Soldier, Archer, Brigand, and Acolyte is our current group.

But, we always try to make it has difficult as possible by adding traps and extra hunting parties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RikHavok wrote:
I can't see playing this solo. There is way too much to keep track of.

We have a 3 player group for this game, but find that 4 characters is the sweet spot for it. Soldier, Archer, Brigand, and Acolyte is our current group.

But, we always try to make it has difficult as possible by adding traps and extra hunting parties.

It works fine solo if you know the game. I lay out the cards open faced. Workload is really lower than Shadows of Brimstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tott Donetta
msg tools
I've played Myth with 2 players (2 heroes each and 1 hero each)
3 players, 4 players and 5 players - 1 hero each. In my opinion, 4 and 5 players was the sweet spot. especially when it was a good crowd of 'gamers', who pick up the rules quickly and got into it. but i suppose its down to personal taste. i wouldn't want to play solo and i didn't enjoy managing more than 1 hero myself, but again that's me.
one thing that hasn't really been mentioned is that the more heroes you have on the board, the more AP you generate and thusly the Darkness activates more often. with 5 players on the board, the darkness was activating pretty much once per hero cycle. unless you burn the lair down quick - that's a lot of minions spawning! even with one lair, it didn't take long to get 20+ minions on the board. Also, the more the darkness activates, the more the darkness deck cycles and those nasty cards that spawn captains or stronger pop up far more often. when someone flipped a darkness card, spent a second reading it, glance at the board, read it some more - then says "oh S&@#" it always brought a smile to my face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Ash
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The funny thing is that I have a group of three that know this game so well and with the steep learning curve, I'm reluctant to teach anyone the game.

Anyone had any success in teaching it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught my friend and it went fine. The trick is to hide the manual in a vault in a cave 500 feet underground with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
RikHavok wrote:
The funny thing is that I have a group of three that know this game so well and with the steep learning curve, I'm reluctant to teach anyone the game.

Anyone had any success in teaching it ?

Yeah, I taught a friend to play in under a half-hour, but he already had some RPG experience. I'm sure he will have some questions (as do we all) that will need to be looked up in the rules (or cards that need some clarification) at some point, but he was playing the Acolyte on tiles with lairs and traps with no problem.

Also, I helped teach a non-wargamer, non-RPGer friend learn the game, using email, but we started with using Slaughterfield mode first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.