$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 56.87

4,133 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some Overlooked Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my list of our groups overlooked rules to watch out for.

1. When playing the event tile for reinforcements I spent way to many gems and could have spread out my reinforcements to different units(I was only choosing one unit to add troops to). I paid 6 gems, two to activate the event tile and then four more, one for each troop I brought back into play. Incorrect! I now realize it only should have cost me 2 gems just to activate the event tile.

From another thread I found these helpful steps:

Here are the steps:
a)Pay and activate the Event Tile.
b)It gives you a certain number of points (scenario description)
c)Use those points to buy already dead units (their cost is on their tile.)
d)If the units you want to buy are on the bloody side then turn the tile.
e)Put the units on the board on the right spot (little flame icon.)


2. When a unit dies, I was leaving it in the current space in the river and just flipping it over. Incorrect! Here is the rule: when an entire tile is dead turn it over AND move it to the last place on the river. Would have made it a lot easier and cheaper to activate units.

We did defense wrong which I believe would have made the game a little bit easier for the heroes. We were giving minions dice equal to the defense number. Incorrect. A minion's defense number is just that. So a defense of one is one, not one die. Overlord can then spend gems to add orange dice.

Hindrance effects range attack: each enemy in a space with the hero trying to attack add -1. We did not even use this rule

Finally, it seems that overlord's units are also effected by hindrance too. This is only for movement and ranged attacks. Somehow I missed this rule in reading the Overlord book.

I have to be honest after playing once and then reading the rules again they are not as bad as a lot of people have made them out to be. I was able to find answers to most of my questions and realize how we were playing the game wrong. The translation errors is a different issue. In my first few games we looked at the rules maybe five times which is no where as brutal as Level 7 omega protocol. I feel that in future games there will be almost no reason to look in the rules. Plus our Conan games have all ended in under 2 hours.

I give this game an A+

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:
Here is my list of our groups overlooked rules to watch out for. {BIG SNIP}


:-D

And now i have to ask: how many gems did you pay to cast Teleport?


thatach wrote:
I have to be honest after playing once and then reading the rules again they are not as bad as a lot of people have made them out to be. I was able to find answers to most of my questions and realize how we were playing the game wrong. The translation errors is a different issue. In my first few games we looked at the rules maybe five times which is no where as brutal as Level 7 omega protocol. I feel that in future games there will be almost no reason to look in the rules. Plus our Conan games have all ended in under 2 hours.


Amen to all of that. (i'll point out Galaxy Defenders as another culprit - i was unable to complete a single turn of that game without resorting to the forums multiple times. i gave up on it after only 5 or 6 sessions because it's just so cumbersome to set up and play, in strong contrast to Conan's fluid mechanics.)

thatach wrote:
I give this game an A+


i just wish there was someone else in this podunk village who could play it :/. Playing this game left-hand-vs-right isn't nearly as engaging as it would be with more players :/.

(If anyone living near Geltendorf, Germany reads this, feel free to PM me about setting up a weekend session!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of excellent reminders there, yes.

Also, I couldn't agree more with downplaying the perceived "unplayable" status some loud voices have tried giving this game.
Sure, there are some vague spots, but nothing a little effort, common sense and inquiry cannot solve.

Those of us who disagree... who think this game is outstanding, regardless of wait-time and seemingly ambiguous rules... Our voices need to raise!

I thank you for being one who starts the resounding chant, 'Conan! Conan! Conan!'
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Also, I couldn't agree more with downplaying the perceived "unplayable" status some loud voices have tried giving this game.
Sure, there are some vague spots, but nothing a little effort, common sense and inquiry cannot solve.

Those of us who disagree... who think this game is outstanding, regardless of wait-time and seemingly ambiguous rules... Our voices need to raise!

I thank you for being one who starts the resounding chant, 'Conan! Conan! Conan!'


i'm all for giving credit where it's due, but a handful of people have posted the exact same sentiment since the KS boxes started arriving .

(As the OP says, it's mainly the various translation errors which are... inexplicable.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played a couple of times but it is a winner in my book. Its not hard to learn and most questions are solved with common sense. I can't bash this game at all, I enjoy it!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
And now i have to ask: how many gems did you pay to cast Teleport?


Actually, We played it right because in my mind it is always been pay the cost then read the card text.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Kalidor wrote:
Also, I couldn't agree more with downplaying the perceived "unplayable" status some loud voices have tried giving this game.
Sure, there are some vague spots, but nothing a little effort, common sense and inquiry cannot solve.

Those of us who disagree... who think this game is outstanding, regardless of wait-time and seemingly ambiguous rules... Our voices need to raise!

I thank you for being one who starts the resounding chant, 'Conan! Conan! Conan!'


i'm all for giving credit where it's due, but a handful of people have posted the exact same sentiment since the KS boxes started arriving .

(As the OP says, it's mainly the various translation errors which are... inexplicable.)


Sure thing, bud. My oversight. I am not nearly as active these days on BGG and likely missed much of the positivism surrounding the game. All I seemed to glean was negativity.
Glad to hear I am mistaken.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest error was using red dice instead of orange for defense and some weapons. The lighting in my game room needs attention!
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
My biggest error was using red dice instead of orange for defense and some weapons. The lighting in my game room needs attention!


i was one of the loudmouths during the KS campaign who argued (repeatedly) against orange and red for that very reason (both on paper and on the table). i suggested they use white/grey/black instead, but... they didn't want to. At least they partially conceded and added the dice symbols so that it's easy to distinguish them on paper. The physical dice also have those symbols, but they're so tiny that one needs a magnifying glass to be able to distinguish them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Couple of excellent reminders there, yes.

Also, I couldn't agree more with downplaying the perceived "unplayable" status some loud voices have tried giving this game.
Sure, there are some vague spots, but nothing a little effort, common sense and inquiry cannot solve.

Those of us who disagree... who think this game is outstanding, regardless of wait-time and seemingly ambiguous rules... Our voices need to raise!

I thank you for being one who starts the resounding chant, 'Conan! Conan! Conan!'

No this game is not "unplayable" and yes the rulebook is not perfect and terribly written in it's english version.

Anyway, I'm really happy to read this because I'am one of those believing this game is outsanding. I had some much fun playtesting some scenarios, and now with all the stuff in the boxes (and as I'm a huge fan of Robert E. Howard), I just returned to childhood...sure Santa Claus is alive !
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do think the rules and skills (and some scenarios) need attention however I would not have racked up over 20 plays so far (with groups of between 3-5) if I did not love the game.

It ok to love something and want to see it improved to be loved by more people
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put a thread together to bring all the "easy to forget" rules together in one place - I keep updating the top post with them:-
Reminder Game Aid

This has also been prettied up in a file:-
Conan Rules Reminder

Though I'm not sure if that's quite up to date with the very latest additions and tweaks - I have the artistic ability of a duck, so it's another user that's kindly converting my list into something that looks nice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
martimer wrote:
My biggest error was using red dice instead of orange for defense and some weapons. The lighting in my game room needs attention!


i was one of the loudmouths during the KS campaign who argued (repeatedly) against orange and red for that very reason (both on paper and on the table). i suggested they use white/grey/black instead, but... they didn't want to. At least they partially conceded and added the dice symbols so that it's easy to distinguish them on paper. The physical dice also have those symbols, but they're so tiny that one needs a magnifying glass to be able to distinguish them.
Thanks for trying. Once I figured it out I was fine, embarrassed but fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it too.

Also agree with the colour of the dice - all my gaming group have real trouble with the dice colours as they are printed on the character cards - if it was not for shaped icons we'd still be well and truly screwed. And none of us are colour-blind, its just a really poor choice of colours. White, Black and Grey would surely have been the best for all - they're godamm monochrome so colour blindness issues would have been sorted, printing issues would have been a non-worry, etc.

Do Red, Yellow, Green pose problems for folk with colour-blindness? That could have been a solution if they wanted colours. Oh well, thank heavens for those icons! Was it a Pledger who suggested they add those?

I've tried in my way to add to the community with my small player turn sequence card file and hope to submit more in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
Also agree with the colour of the dice - all my gaming group have real trouble with the dice colours as they are printed on the character cards - if it was not for shaped icons we'd still be well and truly screwed. And none of us are colour-blind, its just a really poor choice of colours. White, Black and Grey would surely have been the best for all - they're godamm monochrome so colour blindness issues would have been sorted, printing issues would have been a non-worry, etc.


Yeah, i'm still a bit sour about that, too, but... too late. At the start of the KS, they didn't have those symbols, and if you had Orange on a page without Red to compare it to, or the other way around, it was (for me, at least) impossible to tell them apart.

Old Deep One wrote:
Do Red, Yellow, Green pose problems for folk with colour-blindness?


Those with the most common form of color blindness have trouble distinguishing green and red. See http://www.color-blindness.com/deuteranopia-red-green-color-... for a chart which demonstrates what that might look like. (That is, not coincidentally, the reason Zombicide uses blue/yellow/orange/red instead of green/yellow/orange/red for its "threat levels".)

Old Deep One wrote:
That could have been a solution if they wanted colours. Oh well, thank heavens for those icons! Was it a Pledger who suggested they add those?


i don't recall if a pledger who suggested them. i know that some minority of us wouldn't shut up about how poor a combination red/orange were, and how impossible it would be to change after the product shipped, and they finally caved by adding the symbols. i don't specifically remember seeing that suggested by a backer, but it may have been (there were many hundreds of KS comments i didn't read, and someone may have sent them the idea as a private message). In any case, "well and truly screwed" is an apt description of where we'd be, with regards to the dice, had they not made that change (or something comparable).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rezinas
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
martimer wrote:
My biggest error was using red dice instead of orange for defense and some weapons. The lighting in my game room needs attention!


they cleverly placed the little symbols on the dice to help differentiate, enabling colorblind and poorly lit people to play. It's come in quite handy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m8ryx wrote:
martimer wrote:
My biggest error was using red dice instead of orange for defense and some weapons. The lighting in my game room needs attention!


they cleverly placed the little symbols on the dice to help differentiate, enabling colorblind and poorly lit people to play. It's come in quite handy!
Fortunately for me I am not colorblind, so I looked at the colors (in poor light) and could not see the difference between the red and orange!

I out-clevered their clever!whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.