$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 117.23

7,116 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: POLLS: Kickstarter Exclusives, Good, Bad, or Who Cares? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: How do you feel about Kickstarter exclusives?
1. Would you or do you back Kickstarter projects that include NO exclusives?
Yes.
No.
Do those even exist?
2. What do you think of Kickstarter exclusives from a creator/publisher point of view?
It's just smart business.
Indifferent.
Simply a ploy to get more backers.
It depends on the project.
3. How do you feel about game play altering exclusives?
(Additional cards, scenarios, expansions, characters, etc.)
That's why I back the project!
I like them, but they are not my deciding factor.
I don't care either way.
I begrudgingly accept their existence.
I would never back a project with them!
4. How do you feel about component upgrade exclusives that DO NOT alter gameplay?
Why even back a project without them?!?
I'll gladly take them if included.
I don't care either way.
They're fine, but they better be available after the campaign too.
See that last option to the previous question?
5. How do you feel about art upgrade, packaging upgrade, and supplemental material exclusives (art book, world guide, etc)?
I want as much extra stuff as possible!
Sure, I'll take it.
How many times do I have to tell you I don't care?
I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm getting them if I back the game.
I'm seething with white hot anger over this atrocity!
      207 answers
Poll created by Legend5555
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the difference between "It's just smart business" and "Simply a ploy to get more backers"?

23 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
What's the difference between "It's just smart business" and "Simply a ploy to get more backers for a mediocre product"?



I added some specificity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
curtc wrote:
What's the difference between "It's just smart business" and "Simply a ploy to get more backers for a mediocre product"?



I added some specificity.


Not necessary at all because a ploy to get more backers is indeed smart business if it works.

But, if you need to know my opinion, if there are exclusives that seem necessary and do indeed alter gameplay in a significant way, chances are the game isn't very good anyway.

Ive been in the hobby for 5 years and I ave backed three kickstarters. One of them I wish I hadn't, one was a reprint of a 20 year old classic game and one was a new card version of that same classic game.

So you can see that I am quite skeptical of kickstarter games in general. Most of it is crap.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a project is already funded, I see no point in tying my money up unless I get something exclusive out of loaning it toe the creator.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
curtc wrote:
What's the difference between "It's just smart business" and "Simply a ploy to get more backers for a mediocre product"?



I added some specificity.


Not necessary at all because a ploy to get more backers is indeed smart business if it works.

Right. That's why I still can't tease them apart.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'll back those projects that do not include exclusives only when I truly believe in the project. This isn't because I resent not receiving extras, but to me it makes no sense to ties my money up for months, with the possibility of never receiving the game when I could just wait until it hits retail and buy the exact same game with no risk and often for less money. To me, it's fiscally irresponsible.

2) I'm not a creator or publisher so I'm indifferent on this one.

3) I'm okay with play altering exclusives, although sometimes they destroy the game. I'm more keen on quality upgrades such as the Deluxe Versions of games offered by TMG.

4) I love non-play altering component upgrades such as exclusive minis, metal coins, etc etc.

5) These types of upgrades are hit and miss with me, though usually miss. I've never paid extra to get the art or world books because I just don't care about them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wouldn't back a project that has no exclusives. I want goodies, dammit! If the retail is the same box of stuff, I would just wait until it comes out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
curtc wrote:
What's the difference between "It's just smart business" and "Simply a ploy to get more backers for a mediocre product"?



I added some specificity.


Not necessary at all because a ploy to get more backers is indeed smart business if it works.

Right. That's why I still can't tease them apart.


I'll admit, bad wording on my part. But I was doing this quickly on a phone. I would change all the choices in this question if I did it again, which I'm not doing anytime soon. But please carry on!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
1) I'll back those projects that do not include exclusives only when I truly believe in the project. This isn't because I resent not receiving extras, but to me it makes no sense to ties my money up for months, with the possibility of never receiving the game when I could just wait until it hits retail and buy the exact same game with no risk and often for less money. To me, it's fiscally irresponsible.

Your logic doesn't make sense. Or did you mean, "only when I don't truly believe in the project"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
What's the difference between "It's just smart business" and "Simply a ploy to get more backers"?



Tone. "It's just smart business" is neutral. "Simply a ploy to get more backers" suggests a degree of contempt.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
I mean, I need SOME reason to back it in KS. Giving me a discount from retail or exclusives is the best way to do that. If the game will be out for a 30% discount from CSI at the same time, there's no real reason to tie up my money (plus I get to see reviews before purchasing it).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't respond, because the answers were not comprehensive. For me to back a kickstarter for a game, it has to either include exclusives or provide a significant discount over retail. If it offers neither, I see no reason to provide an interest free (but not risk free) loan for which I have very little recourse should the project not pan out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would back a game without exclusives, if I know it would only have limited main release and I would get it for the retail or cheaper.

At the same time a few games, like Conan, where I missed the KS, I will not buy because I feel I am missing out on a lot of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
1) I'll back those projects that do not include exclusives only when I truly believe in the project. This isn't because I resent not receiving extras, but to me it makes no sense to ties my money up for months, with the possibility of never receiving the game when I could just wait until it hits retail and buy the exact same game with no risk and often for less money. To me, it's fiscally irresponsible.

Your logic doesn't make sense. Or did you mean, "only when I don't truly believe in the project"?


If I truly believe in the project (such as the case with The Networks and Deep Madness), I'll back regardless of the extras and/or exclusives. If it's just a game I want (such as with Massive Darkness and The Others) then I may or may not back depending on the exclusives. Obviously if I'm not interested in the game, the extras won't entice me regardless.

Does that make more sense?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that another question you should have asked (or may want to ask if you do another poll) is what the impact of KS exclusives are on sales after the fact. I, for one, will really question whether or not to buy a game at retail if I know that there are a bunch of exclusives that I might not be able to get for a reasonable price.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
curtc wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
1) I'll back those projects that do not include exclusives only when I truly believe in the project. This isn't because I resent not receiving extras, but to me it makes no sense to ties my money up for months, with the possibility of never receiving the game when I could just wait until it hits retail and buy the exact same game with no risk and often for less money. To me, it's fiscally irresponsible.

Your logic doesn't make sense. Or did you mean, "only when I don't truly believe in the project"?


If I truly believe in the project (such as the case with The Networks and Deep Madness), I'll back regardless of the extras and/or exclusives. If it's just a game I want (such as with Massive Darkness and The Others) then I may or may not back depending on the exclusives. Obviously if I'm not interested in the game, the extras won't entice me regardless.

Does that make more sense?

No. That sounds counter to the "fiscally irresponsible" comment.

But whatever. It doesn't really matter, of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biased Poll is Biased?

The entire poll neglects my opinion that if I find a game that I might like post KS (who has time to monitor KS daily anyway) which has KS exclusives that alter gameplay... I will not buy that game if I can't obtain the bonus goods after the fact from some source.

I'm willing to pay for them, buy them from the MF site, etc.
but if they are unavailable, that is a dealbreaker.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is tough for me. In principle I don't like like them, however if I'm backing a project that includes them, it feels nice to know I will get extra stuff. I fully admit if there is a project that I want to back anyway it does get exciting to have extra items.

That being said I do think they are very limiting in thought. If someone discovers your game after the campaign exclusives prevent them from buying new items to support your game. In a way they might even prevent someone from buying your game to start with. If a person knows there is content out there, they can't easily obtain, they might just look at a different game.

I also think they can get out of hand and bloat a game. Sometimes the money is better spent improving the quality of the game and then after than ordering more copies of your game to sell after the campaign.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Biased Poll is Biased?

The entire poll neglects my opinion that if I find a game that I might like post KS (who has time to monitor KS daily anyway) which has KS exclusives that alter gameplay... I will not buy that game if I can't obtain the bonus goods after the fact from some source.

I'm willing to pay for them, buy them from the MF site, etc.
but if they are unavailable, that is a dealbreaker.


How bout poll designer doesn't and won't attempt to cater to ever single nuance of every situation that could possibly come up so he can satisfy every single person's exact opinion on every matter?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
What's the difference between "It's just smart business" and "Simply a ploy to get more backers"?


Or is it un-smart business to let the Backers' have the profit
off resale exclusives.
Kinda un-smart business to limit your sales.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pool would had been better if we could answer if we thought it was a positive or negative part of a campaign.

Upgrades isn't a reason to me NOT to back a game or something I'd hate having. However it make the retail version something I don't even consider so there's that ..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
sao123 wrote:
Biased Poll is Biased?

The entire poll neglects my opinion that if I find a game that I might like post KS (who has time to monitor KS daily anyway) which has KS exclusives that alter gameplay... I will not buy that game if I can't obtain the bonus goods after the fact from some source.

I'm willing to pay for them, buy them from the MF site, etc.
but if they are unavailable, that is a dealbreaker.


How bout poll designer doesn't and won't attempt to cater to ever single nuance of every situation that could possibly come up so he can satisfy every single person's exact opinion on every matter?



so were not actually out to find the truth... just to give you warm and fuzzy feelings about something you have already pre-decided...

funny that you consider what is a majority opionion to be a minor nuance...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are taking this poll waaaaaaaay too seriously.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depending on the game, the exclusives are good for trade or re-sale. On the other hand, I don't know that I've received a game where the exclusives were anything amazing. Maybe that'll change a little with some upcoming games. And, there's only one game, Blood Rage, that I wish I had the exclusives for, and that's simply because I enjoy the game that much.

I think it makes sense for a creator/publisher to include them. Although, I'd rather unlock better quality components or expansions as stretch goals.

I feel things like the art books or similar are putting my money towards something I'm not interested in. It's kind of annoying when they're included as part of game pledge level or added as a stretch goal. The only thing like this that I don't mind is a cool KS sleeve for the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.