Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game and am looking at buying it unfortunately I missed out on both Kickstarters. But should I buy the current version or wait for the reprint? I read something about player boards being corrected.

Are there stickers for the current version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
From what I gathered, release of the second edition is not that far away (early next year, I guess). Plus, it's not that easy to find the first edition for a reasonable price now. In your situation, I'd probably wait for the slightly improved reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy the current core game right now on the Petersen Games website.

https://petersengames.com/the-games-shop/cthulhu-wars-core-g...

Is it worth waiting till the next print run? No idea how to answer that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
You can buy the current core game right now on the Petersen Games website.

https://petersengames.com/the-games-shop/cthulhu-wars-core-g...

Ah yeah, I forgot that the game is available again in your store ... Sorry about that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I hadn't missed both kickstarters. The first go I just didn't have the money but os2, I just didn't know it was happening.

As for waiting I guess what is different between the 2 printings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
warpi9 wrote:
I wish I hadn't missed both kickstarters. The first go I just didn't have the money but os2, I just didn't know it was happening.

As for waiting I guess what is different between the 2 printings?
So I bought CW while the KS was going because I wanted to try it before deciding what expansions etc.

I printed out the corrections for the player boards and laminated them to the boards. No one has commented even noticing it since.

As far as what will be in the update, probably the updated doom track and markers for the core four factions. Not a gameplay factor.

Since PG has stuff up for sale now, I'd grab what you'd like. I kinda wish I knew that would happen, then I'd have held out from the KS for a few expansions and ordered them on the store. Just so that I could get them a month or so faster lol.

So I wouldn't wait personally. I didn't in fact. It's a great game, and with the classic faction, neutral and map expansions already available- I'd pick up one or more of those too.

If you wanted one of each:
Azathoth adds a lot of neutral stuff in a relatively cheap box.
Opener seems to be the popular first faction expansion
Yuggoth seems like the most crazy different feeling map

A lot of folks rave about the high priests, but I'd take the above three if you want to explore a lot of this game.

I wouldn't be to hung up on missing the KS. I missed the first one but there weren't any gameplay exclusives so it's not as bad as missing other KS's. Plus so much is available for now that you don't even have much of a wait for. It's a good time to join in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks. exactly what i was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My view, having had all expansions since the original KS delivery:

Playable factions add more variety to the game than everything else put together. Even if you're playing 4-player, core map, swapping out, say, Chaos for Sleeper makes the whole game change for everyone.

Of the playable factions, Windwalker is the most straight forward for new players to play well. All of them are great fun, though.

The expansion maps add the next most variety. Of these, Dreamlands is my favourite. It gives you an odd geometry, enemy neutral units, and an alternate win condition. Yuggoth is my least favourite, due to the Watcher which forces a "take that" element which isn't really my thing.

I've still never used any of the neutrals in face to face games.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
I really enjoy this game and am looking at buying it unfortunately I missed out on both Kickstarters. But should I buy the current version or wait for the reprint? I read something about player boards being corrected.

Are there stickers for the current version?

I have the impression that second prints have a better quality plastic, little denser. Enough for me to advice to wait the second print of the core game. Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.