15 Posts

Quartermaster General: 1914» Forums » Rules

Subject: US Status with Royal Navy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
In a recent game, I noticed that the event card "The Royal Navy" directs the Anglo-American player to "Play a Status card".

This is in contrast with other event cards from the same deck, such as "Asquith Sends Ultimatum" and "First Lord of the Admiralty Prepares for War", which specify to "Play a United Kingdom Status card".

I was wondering if this is a misprint, or if the Royal Navy card is actually intended to allow for an American Status to be played? Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh

It should be a United Kingdom Status Card. Another one for the FAQ. If you want to play it where you can get either a UK or a US card, it shouldn't matter too much overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Ian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
IanBrody wrote:
Ugh

It should be a United Kingdom Status Card. Another one for the FAQ. If you want to play it where you can get either a UK or a US card, it shouldn't matter too much overall.

P.S. By the same reasoning, I assume that also Cambrai should read, "play a United Kingdom Status card", correct?

Speaking of Cambrai, is Picardy ajacent to itself (i.e. can the UK use Cambrai with an Army in Paris to battle the Germans in Picardy)? Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
US don't have a lot of status cards^^

I think there's the same idea with the "Draft a Build Army" for the power with two countries.
I'm assuming you can Draft an ottoman Build Army with an austrian Event which allows to "Draft a Build Army" (at no cost). It helps a lot at the beginning of the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
chassdeau wrote:
US don't have a lot of status cards^^

... for now

Who else would love to see an Air expansion to this game? I'd sooooo love to see some WWI planes flying around on this board (and yes, I know, we've got two aviation-themed cards already, Eddie Rickenbacker and the Red Baron, but come on, there's so much more potential in there)

chassdeau wrote:
I think there's the same idea with the "Draft a Build Army" for the power with two countries.
I'm assuming you can Draft an ottoman Build Army with an austrian Event which allows to "Draft a Build Army" (at no cost). It helps a lot at the beginning of the war.

Am I missing something here? The only two Austro-Hungarian cards that let you draft (that I can find) are Royal Hungarian Honvéd and Imperial Austrian Landwehr, and they both say that the drafted Build Army has to be Austro-Hungarian (and conversely, Ottoman Mobilization says that you draft an Ottoman Build Army card)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe I didn't remember the right text of those Events.

But, the Idea is the same:
- when a Event target a card to play (play a status card, draft a build army card) with no country specific, we have the choice of the country. If the target is country specific (Play a UK status card, Draft an Austrian-Hungary Build Army card), we don't have the choice.
- when a Event initiate an action (Battle, Recruit, Build), the action is country specific because the Event is country specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
I completetly agree with you in principle.

However, Ian just stated that, in the specific case of The Royal Navy, the way it is worded does not reflect the way it was supposed to work. There's going to be an errata for that card to restrict it to a UK status only, presumably since it would not make sense, thematically, for the Royal Navy card to affect the American play.

So, by the same token, I am assuming that the text of the Cambrai card is also imprecise, considering how that Battle only saw British and French involvement on the Allied side (the US, while already at war at that point, only really started putting boots on the ground the following year).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
Witch Lord wrote:
I completetly agree with you in principle.

However, Ian just stated that, in the specific case of The Royal Navy, the way it is worded does not reflect the way it was supposed to work. There's going to be an errata for that card to restrict it to a UK status only, presumably since it would not make sense, thematically, for the Royal Navy card to affect the American play.

So, by the same token, I am assuming that the text of the Cambrai card is also mistaken, considering how that Battle only saw British and French involvement on the Allied side (the US, while already at war at that point, only really started putting boots on the ground the following year).

Yes, you're right. With the errata, it will be easier (with 1 status (or 2), the problem doesn't occur a lot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
IanBrody wrote:
Ugh

P.S. By the same reasoning, I assume that also Cambrai should read, "play a United Kingdom Status card", correct?

Speaking of Cambrai, is Picardy ajacent to itself (i.e. can the UK use Cambrai with an Army in Paris to battle the Germans in Picardy)? Thank you!!

double ugh

yes, Cambrai should say United Kingdom too, another for the FAQ. I don't think the impact is particularly interesting. There's going to be that ONE game where it made all the difference...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't make much difference I might suggest just playing with what it says on the cards rather than proposing errata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
IanBrody wrote:
double ugh

yes, Cambrai should say United Kingdom too, another for the FAQ. I don't think the impact is particularly interesting. There's going to be that ONE game where it made all the difference...

Thank you Ian! Can you also confirm whether Cambrai can battle in Picardy and not just around it? Thank you so much!

P.S.

Almost everyone in my club is going nuts over this game Even some people who didn't really connect with the original...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland B.
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no FAQ. When I make a FAQ, I will include these into it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
double ugh

Thank you Ian! Can you also confirm whether Cambrai can battle in Picardy and not just around it? Thank you so much![/q]

Hmm, this is a more problematic issue. I guess I have to say in it as well.

Witch Lord wrote:

P.S.

Almost everyone in my club is going nuts over this game Even some people who didn't really connect with the original...

That's terrific. I actually think it's the best one of the series, design-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.